• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

a tale that has to be told...(everyone please read)

This is a discussion on a tale that has to be told...(everyone please read) within the SA-XD/XD(M) FAQ & Stickies forums, part of the Information category; That was hard to read. I too read the words through teary eyes. These are the reasons why I thank a veteran every time I ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Information » SA-XD/XD(M) FAQ & Stickies » a tale that has to be told...(everyone please read)

Old 03-26-2006, 05:07 AM   #31
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 8140
That was hard to read. I too read the words through teary eyes. These are the reasons why I thank a veteran every time I meet one.

My dad was a Vietnam vet who volunteered for the war because his best friend was drafted. He walked into Sen. Buzz Lukens' office (Ohio) and demanded to be sent to Vietnam with his friend, and put in the same platoon. Sen. Luken made a call that seen to it that this would get done.

My dad did two tours & became an Army Ranger. He recieved the Purple Heart (the one medal no soldier wants to 'win' he would always say) for being shot twice with an AK47 while carrying a fallen comrad to safety.

Growing up I seen what it had done to him. I have woken up when spending the night at my grandparents house to find him crawling on the floor and whispering to himself & my grandma coming out of her room to get him & put him back to bed. I was too young to really know what was going on back then. He also became a real bad alcoholic as well. my mom says he didn't drink much before the war. My mom & him were divorced when I was young, so I only got to spend time with him on weekends & during summer when school was out. I would go up to Michigan to stay with him.

He is no longer with us. Agent Orange took it's toll on him after many years of being ate up with that stuff really bad.

I think that war messed up a lot of young men. And I always make sure to thank any & every Vet that I meet. I remember one time when I worked as a lot attendant at a car dealership, I went out to pull the plastic & paper mats out of a customers car for him that he was picking back up. When I walked out to his car I seen a VFW sticker on his car. I looked at him (he appeared to be about 50 y/o) and I said "VFW huh?"

He looked at me (at the time I was about 20, and probably appeared to be a punk in his eyes) and said "yeah, I'm a vet." His tone of voice had a hint of being ready to tell me off if need be. When he replied, that is when I thanked him for his service & sacrifice to his country, and told him my dad was a Vietnam vet who passed away. He got teary eyed, and thanked me for thanking him & told me that he was in Vietnam too. And then I got all teary eyed as well.

That man was a total stranger to me. And my encounter with him lasted less than one minute.... But I will never forget him for the rest of my life.... Or any of the others for that matter...
Old 03-29-2006, 08:28 PM   #32
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 7706
Jesus man. Jesus. I can't say anything that hasn't been said already.

Welcome to Tennessee, patron state of shootin' stuff.
bkelm18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 05:50 AM   #33
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 8026
therooster, thanks for posting the link to that article. I'll be passing it along to family and friends. That article is a tough read. I had to stop. Will finish it later.
I'm privledged and proud to be able to call my fellow vets brother or sister on an almost daily basis and proud to belong to an organization where I can still serve my country and community. I pray for all those in uniform currently serving our great nation. I pray for their safe and swift return home. As mike1972 explained, there are many who still bare the burden of combat long after they return home. For them, it never ends. I urge everyone to support lawmakers who support veterans. That is the least we all can do.

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional as to how they perceive the veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their nation"
George Washington

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies" Ron Paul

"There is something very masculine about a stogy. In this modern age of emasculated, limp-wristed, quiche-eating nancy boys, it stands tall as one of the last icons of teeth gritting manliness." C. Gadsden

Dhunter55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 06:28 PM   #34
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 9718
I was a Navy Corpsman in Vietnam and worked with the 3rd Marine Division. I had to help prep the fallen for their trip home.
I did not make it past page 7. Page one had me back in the morgue. It took over an hour to stop crying. Getting my Purple Heart did not hurt this much.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:05 PM   #35
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 8566
John 15:13

Greater Love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
CajunBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 08:56 PM   #36
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 4847
Congrats to the author and photographer of this article on their well deserved Pulitzer Prize.
jkswiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 02:02 PM   #37
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 9517
This was very hard to read, I have several friends right now who are in the Marine Corps, and over in Iraq right now. I want to forward it to their wives to read, but at the same time I am very hesitant to do so, and will probably not.
Heathen-Yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 06:36 AM   #38
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 8566
Yak, I wouldn't recomend it. My step-son is over there and my wife has no desire to read it. Maybe print it, and save it and someday when everyone is home safe and sound, would be a good time. The wives, mothers, and sweethearts have enough to worry about now.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
CajunBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 01:46 PM   #39
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 9673
Well guys i think this has made everyone look at this in a different perspective! So just next time u c any soldier on or off duty take the time to thank them! Beleive me i will I have an uncle tgat will be goin to iraq in 3 weeks believe ill miss him like crazy but always will thank him for what he is doing!!!

Blake.

P.S.- And the words on the screen are blury just as everyone elses was!!!
Mossberg 12 Guage
Custom 280
Baikal .410
Savage Custom .17 HMR
GAshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 07:04 AM   #40
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 9517
This story made it into Time magazine recently. This was sent to me by a friend whos husband is serving in Iraq and recently lost one of his Marines in an accident.

Quote:
This article is from Time magazine... well done... not politicized either which makes it even better. Please continue to surround our Military members and their families with our love, thoughts and prayers. It is they that make the sacrifices so that we can continue to live in freedom. Before you count your blessings.......please remember to thank our past, present and future military members for making those blessings possible.

Heathen-Yak is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Information » SA-XD/XD(M) FAQ & Stickies

Search tags for this page
child saluting flag
do veterans salute at a military funeral
inshore boat unit

is a tale told or read

salute flage
verterans day
Click on a term to search for related topics.