• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

picatinny and weaver mounts interchangeable?

This is a discussion on picatinny and weaver mounts interchangeable? within the SA-XD/XD(M) Accessories forums, part of the XD Talk category; Okay I tried searching without success. If I buy something with a weaver rail mount (20mm from what I could find) is it going to ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » SA-XD/XD(M) Accessories » picatinny and weaver mounts interchangeable?

Old 11-06-2008, 04:10 PM   #1
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 29549
picatinny and weaver mounts interchangeable?

Okay I tried searching without success. If I buy something with a weaver rail mount (20mm from what I could find) is it going to fit the picatinny on the XD (couldnt find any measurement info)?

-Thomas
ThomasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-06-2008, 04:20 PM   #2
XDTalk 2K Member

nevermind, just when I almost gave up:

Picatanny V Weaver
The only difference between the Picatinny rail and the similar Weaver rail is the size of the slots
The Picatinny locking slot width is 0.206"(5.2324mm). The spacing of slot centers is 0.394"(10.0076mm) and the slot depth is 0.118"(2.9972mm)

Weaver rails have a slot width of .180"
Weaver devices will fit on Picatinny rails, but Picatinny devices will not always fit on Weaver rails.

Picatanny (7/8")
The Picatinny rail is a bracket used on some firearms in order to provide a standardized mounting platform for telescopic sights and other accessories, such as tactical lights and laser sighting modules. The standard was first published by the Picatinny Arsenal and carries the official title MIL-STD-1913. It is also known by the NATO designation STANAG 2324.

The Picatinny rail is the most versatile of all bases.Picatinny Arsenal in New York is an ordnance arsenal. In the 1960s, they created a new type of scope mount for heavier weapons. It resembles a Weaver base, but the notches are 5mm wide and located at precise intervals along the rail. Any manufacturer can make a mount to fit a Picatinny rail! In the 1970s, Picatinny rails migrated to small arms use, and today they are widely used by the military and law enforcement to hold not only scopes but also flashlights, lasers, rangefinders and night vision devices.

In order to provide a stable platform, the rail should not flex as the barrel heats and cools. For this reason Picatinny rails are cut crosswise, to give them considerable room to expand and contract lengthwise, which has no meaning in paintball but at least you know where it comes from. These slots are also standardized in size, and many accessories use them for locking purposes. The Picatinny locking slot width is 0.206"(5.2324mm). The spacing of slot centers is 0.394"(10.0076mm) and the slot depth is 0.118"(2.9972mm). The only difference between the Picatinny rail and the similar Weaver rail is the size of these slots, although many rail-grabber-mounted accessories can be used on either type of rail. Weaver rails have a slot width of .180", but are not necessarily consistent in the spacing of slot centers. Because of this, Weaver devices will fit on Picatinny rails, but Picatinny devices will not always fit on Weaver rails.

Weaver Rails (7/8")
A Weaver rail mount is a system to connect telescopic sights and other accessories to rifles, shotguns, pistols, archery bows, etc.

The only difference between the Picatinny rail and the Weaver rail is the size of these slots, although many rail-grabber-mounted accessories can be used on either type of rail. Weaver rails have a slot width of .180", but are not necessarily consistent in the spacing of slot centers. The Picatinny locking slot width is 0.206"(5.2324mm) and the spacing of slot centers is 0.394"(10.0076mm). Because of this, Weaver devices will fit on Picatinny rails, but Picatinny devices will not always fit on Weaver rails.

Weaver mounts originated just before 1950. They were the first attempt to provide standardized scope mounts for rifles. They feature an integral recoil block to keep the rings in one place. Before Weaver mounts, rifles were most often drilled and tapped for small setscrews that sometimes snapped under heavy recoil. The Weaver base has a 3.8mm cross-key slot that accepts special Weaver keys located on the bottom of all Weaver rings.
ThomasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:21 PM   #3
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 25129
Typically, yes.

I liken it to 5.56/.223. Not quite an exact comparison, but close enough. You might run into troubles getting a weaver mounted device to mount on a picatinny rail. I've never run into problems mounting picatinny onto weaver...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
Joeywhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:31 PM   #4
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 29971
I'm Glad you liked the article. I was stuck for info on pic. The rest of the article is here: PaintBaller.ie - Picatinny or Weaver Dovetail (3/8 or 7/ for Paintball use

It was aimed at paintball markers, where people wanted to attach scopes and such to their gear. I may update it a bit better.

Any other links to good into on weaver / picatinny rails?
richieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:01 PM   #5
KDM
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 51752
Angry Swiss arms universal pistol mount

OK then I got a swiss arms universal pistol mount for my xdm 45. Why don't it have a pin on it so it won't slide off after 2 shots. Is it not made for a pistol that has recoil?
KDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:03 PM   #6
XDTalk 2K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDM View Post
OK then I got a swiss arms universal pistol mount for my xdm 45. Why don't it have a pin on it so it won't slide off after 2 shots. Is it not made for a pistol that has recoil?
Because its a cheap piece of **** and you get what you pay for!!!
Old 01-01-2011, 05:03 PM   #7
KDM
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 51752
Yes cheap

Yes they are cheap. So now I have 2 cheap ones. The first one did'nt work ether. You know where I can get a better one?
KDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 05:47 PM   #8
XDTalk 2K Member

I assume you're talking about the optic rail adapter?
PISTOLGEAR | YOUR ONE-STOP SHOP FOR ALL THINGS PISTOL

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » SA-XD/XD(M) Accessories

Search tags for this page
20mm rail vs picatinny
21mm weaver vs pic
7/8 weaver rail

are weaver and picatinny interchangeable

difference between picatinny and m1913
difference between weaver and picatinny
picciany mounts innerchangable with weaver mounts

weaver and picatinny interchangeable

weaver base vs picatinny base
weaver to picatinny

weaver vs picatinny

weaver vs picatinny scope mounts
will a intergal weaver mount fit a picintinny rail
will a weaver mount fit on picatinny
xd picatinny weaver
Click on a term to search for related topics.