• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

How to install sights?

This is a discussion on How to install sights? within the SA-XD/XD(M) Accessories forums, part of the XD Talk category; I just picked up another XD in 40 but the tactical version at the gunshow today. I'm wanting to put TFO's in front and adjustable ...

Old 09-23-2006, 08:06 PM   #1
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 12474
How to install sights?

I just picked up another XD in 40 but the tactical version at the gunshow today. I'm wanting to put TFO's in front and adjustable dawsons in the rear. Do they just drift out or is there a tool?
Steel1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-23-2006, 08:13 PM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 9662
Yeah, there's a special tool for it...

It's called a Dremel.
Ian Wendt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 08:29 PM   #3
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 12124
Do yourself a BIG FAVOR and go over to AJames site (www.xd-hs2000.com) and have him install the replacement sights. These are tough to remove and tough to install - the special tool cost about $400.

I recommend his service - quick turn time and he laser sights the new sights to the slide - all for $15 (includes return postage).

Edit: Corrected web site for Ajamesp51's. You had Old Schools listed.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man.

Mark Twain

Last edited by R Dub; 09-23-2006 at 10:24 PM.
hacker15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 03:28 AM   #4
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 10565
Awesome. I have TFO's on their way and need to have them installed as well. Thank you very much for saving me some research time!!!!

Duty Weapon: Para Ordnance 7.45 LDA
Off Duty Weapon: XD-45 Compact
Home Defense: XD .45 Tactical/TLR-1 and TFO's
stickman483 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 11:06 AM   #5
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 12124
Quote:
Originally Posted by hacker15
Do yourself a BIG FAVOR and go over to AJames site (www.xd-hs2000.com) and have him install the replacement sights. These are tough to remove and tough to install - the special tool cost about $400.

I recommend his service - quick turn time and he laser sights the new sights to the slide - all for $15 (includes return postage).

Edit: Corrected web site for Ajamesp51's. You had Old Schools listed.
DUHHH! Sorry, AJames - got my vendors confused there. Bought from you both and his name stuck in my mind.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man.

Mark Twain
hacker15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 07:06 PM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 8875
+1 for ajames. while i did mine with a steel punch (and yes i did it with no scarring) it took me forever and a day. it took me about three hours just to knock the stock sights completely out. the new ones slid in with no problems.

if you do it with a steel punch, get you a table mounted vice, and two cloth covered pieces of wood. put the slide inbetween the two cloth covered pieces of wood, and place into the table mounted vice.

don't get discouraged when you hit it with considerable force and it doesn't move. they are in there really good.
arolfsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 07:59 PM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 9662
That's why I ended up cutting off my frontsight with a dremel. I gave it several very good whacks with a steel punch and a hammer, to no avail. Took the dremel to it with a cut-off wheel and got it off in 10 minutes with no damage to the slide. The rear sight drifted out easily.
Ian Wendt is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » SA-XD/XD(M) Accessories