• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Custom Grip Template!

This is a discussion on Custom Grip Template! within the SA-XD/XD(M) Accessories forums, part of the XD Talk category; Originally Posted by rackem Thanks for your support. Did you have any issues with residue from the duct tape remaining on the frame? Does the ...

Old 01-07-2013, 09:00 PM   #11
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 54775
Quote:
Originally Posted by rackem View Post

Thanks for your support. Did you have any issues with residue from the duct tape remaining on the frame? Does the skateboard grip tape stay on pretty well?

the skateboard tape sticks pretty well so far but I have not had it out yet. I cleaned the grip with 91% rubbing alcohol so residue isn't an issue.

also its rude to steal talon grips design.

my brother has legit talons on his pistol and they are really nice. the skate tape doesn't compare to that. the skate tape is really aggressive and has much more bite to it than the legit talons. (talons wont tear your hands up )

to clarify my process, I used the duct tape to make a pattern, I stuck it on paper to make it easier to work with. I cut out the duct tape shape in skate tape. I trimmed and adjusted the skate tape fine tuning it. cleaned the grip with alcohol. applied the skate tape. warmed it gently with a heat gun and pressed it into shape. then I took a razor and cut the wrinkles then smoothed them down.

I'm happy with it but talons are better.
Bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-07-2013, 09:40 PM   #12
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 75371
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonfalcon07 View Post
Why not just support a great company? It's not like they cost an arm and a leg..
+1 again
bijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:15 PM   #13
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 68130
Second what Bonehead said. The Talon grip texture is just better than the sandpaper like texture for most grip tape. And from my pricing, a sheet of comparable material would cost pretty darn close. I don't think Mike is making much profit from his product. They're also easy to remove and reapply, but stick great otherwise.

Customer service is great too. I emailed to ask about if it would be possible to get a larger set to get more coverage, and he said he'd give me some scraps that I could use to personalize it.
crimsonfalcon07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:24 PM   #14
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 83937
Easy, fellas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantWills View Post
When you figure it all out, start a small business selling them online, then I'll just do the same thing to you and see how it makes you feel.

I could understand if you just wanted to make your own to save money and to make it how you like it, but to do it with graph paper and cutouts from a company who already makes them is just dishonest.
Sarge, I completely disagree about this being dishonest. I'm not reproducing anything for profit. I simply wanted to search for a solution that I could implement with my own resources and save some money.

And more power to the owner of the site! But he need not worry about one person overtaking the market for handgun grips based on a rough outline. Don't get me wrong: they're individually great products, but they aren't exactly a cutting edge design. This isn't Apple v. Samsung, folks.

I think some are misunderstanding my OP. I don't want to cut out the "T" from Talon and call the grip my own. I don't want to brand them. Furthermore, I don't have access to the material they're made of! I simply was looking for a solution to come up with the general shape that fit the gun. I wasn't aware that it was so easy to use other materials to gain an outline, but thanks to the helpful members of this site, I'm now aware.

I plan on posting a generic drawing of grips with measurements as soon as I get a chance. Check back!

SA XD-9 Service
SA XDs 45 A.C.P.
rackem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:33 PM   #15
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 81582
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonfalcon07 View Post
why not just support a great company? It's not like they cost an arm and a leg.

And it's not that hard to make your own grips. Cut out a piece of a paper, and keep removing parts until you make something that works for you.
+31244
spooky_pitboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » SA-XD/XD(M) Accessories

custom, custom grip, template

Search tags for this page
custom grip tape xds grips
custom gun grip template
custom xd grips
does anyone have a template to make your own talon grips
free grip tape stencil printable
glock grip printable templates
glock printout stencil of grips
grip
grip pattern
grip template xd

talon grip template

talon grips template

xd grip tape template
xd9 grip template
xds grip template
Click on a term to search for related topics.