• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

TFO's or XS Big dot

This is a discussion on TFO's or XS Big dot within the SA-XD/XD(M) Accessories forums, part of the XD Talk category; I'm looking to replace the factory sights on my Springfield XDm 9mm but don't know which brand to go with. Im 22 but have really ...

Old 08-28-2012, 10:52 AM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 60375
TFO's or XS Big dot

I'm looking to replace the factory sights on my Springfield XDm 9mm but don't know which brand to go with. Im 22 but have really poor vision so a bigger more luminescent sight would really help me out especially if something goes bump in the night and I don't have my glasses. I really like the idea of the XS big dot and since I probably will never shoot at anything past 25yrds in anything other than a range setting their long range accuracy isn't too much of an issue. I've searched the TFO's before but heard of some quality issues and the only problems I've heard with the XS sights are people not being able to get long distance shots as easily. Any one have any experience or insight with these sight sets?
apoll0741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-28-2012, 11:43 AM   #2
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 48402
I've got the TFO's and have never had a problem with them. Really like them in all lighting situations. I have pretty decent eye sight for the time being though. However if i knew it was going to be a HD gun and wasn't worried about what my pretty little pattern on paper looked like, the big XS sights do look pretty nice.
dw32005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:58 PM   #3
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 27123
Between the two--big dot. They don't puke FO tubes, and are actually pretty accurate at longer ranges once you learn to shoot them.

But your best choice would be Trijicon HD's.

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".--Isaac Asimov
Cuda66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:24 PM   #4
XDTalk Member

Member #: 76441
Another vote for the Trijicon HD. I have used sights with FO rods on pistols and shotguns. They all eventually break and usually at the wrong time. The wrong time for me was halfway through a stage is not so bad. Halfway through a gun fight would be bad. GH
GH41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:47 PM   #5
Old Timer

Member #: 20418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
Between the two--big dot. They don't puke FO tubes, and are actually pretty accurate at longer ranges once you learn to shoot them.

But your best choice would be Trijicon HD's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
Another vote for the Trijicon HD. I have used sights with FO rods on pistols and shotguns. They all eventually break and usually at the wrong time. The wrong time for me was halfway through a stage is not so bad. Halfway through a gun fight would be bad. GH
^I concur with the above..
I like the HDs.

I want to like Big Dots, but I'd also like range precision with my sights, even on a carry gun.
From what I've read, Big Dots are good defensive sights, but one can lose precision using them.
In other words, they are great for quick point and shoot acquisition, as needed in an SD situation.
But not so much hitting the 10 ring at the range.

I've never cared for TFOs.
Just the physical size of the actual sights turns me off.
But that is just me..
1lowlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:21 PM   #6
XDTalk Member

Member #: 75340
Big Dot all the way. I have them on my XDm and I recently took second in a bullseye shoot and first in a bowling pin shoot with them. Now, no-one there was shooting a bullseye gun, but several folks had Dawson precision sights on their 1911's and none of them are slouches with a pistol. I can fairly reliably hit a clay pigeon at 25 yards.

In other words, you won't notice a loss of accuracy unless you are a hell of a shooter and you are shooting for tiny little groups.

And the big dot is very easily visible in low light, and super fast to pick up in daylight. Plus, for me at least, the dot just seems to line itself up with the bar automatically - kind of like a ghost ring.
Bikeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:12 PM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 72376
I have XS big Dots on my carry guns. I am not as accurate at 25 yards as the other sights. However I am combat accurate to about 40 yards. The big differences I like in the sights vs the others (meprolights and Glock night):

No sharp corners
Lower profile
Simple...put the ball on the target and shoot

The final and most important IMO is very rapid to acquire a target. I am almost a whole second faster getting off 3 rounds from holster. I'm not a kid anymore and the big sight is easy to pick up. My carry guns are setup for self defense. Speed and combat accuracy.

The other types of sights I find easier for target shooting and shooting at distance. I would guess the other sights I am about 25% more accurate and take my time.

Sent via Mental Power
Happypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:28 AM   #8
Old Timer

Member #: 20418
^ I may get a set and try the big dots on one of my Glocks.
I don't really do much shooting at 25 yards.
Most of my range shooting is done at more realistic defensive distances.
The big dots would probably be a good choice for the home defense pistol since the wife doesn't shoot much.
Probably be easier for her to aim.

For those that are using them;
Why did you pick the big dot over the standard (smaller) dot?
Trying to figure out which one of those to buy is another reason I haven't tried them yet...
1lowlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:09 AM   #9
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 27123
Well, I went with big dots on my G21 because the place where I bought them was out of Trijicon 3-dots, and offered the XS's for the same price.

I also have a S&W 325 with a Big Dot front sight, but the C&S U-Notch rear...and that system rocks.

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".--Isaac Asimov
Cuda66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:28 PM   #10
XDTalk Member

Member #: 63083
I just got the XS Big Dot sight for my Ruger SP101 357mag. and haven't installed it yet. I have the Trijicon HD sights on my XDM 45 and love them. Went with the XS Big Dot on the Ruger because Trijicon didn't make the HD for the Ruger yet.
700xcr is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » SA-XD/XD(M) Accessories

night sights, sights, tfo, truglo, xs sights

Search tags for this page
do xs standard dots work with factory rear
glock sights for poor vision
meprolight vs xs big dot
sig p239 xs
sp101 big dot accuracy
tfos vs xs standard dot sights

trijicon hd vs xs big dot

truglo tfo or xs big dot for xds 9mm
truglo tfo vs xs big dot

xs big dot

xs big dot ruger sp101

xs big dot sights for home defense

xs big dot sights xds

xs big dot vs tfo

xs big dot vs trijicon hd
Click on a term to search for related topics.