• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

TFO's or XS Big dot

This is a discussion on TFO's or XS Big dot within the SA-XD/XD(M) Accessories forums, part of the XD Talk category; I have the tfo's on my xdm40 & I really like them. I think the xs dots would be great too though. I have a ...

Old 08-29-2012, 01:15 PM   #11
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 78534
I have the tfo's on my xdm40 & I really like them. I think the xs dots would be great too though. I have a similar sight set up on one of my ruger 22-45 mark lll's. It's a hi-viz fiber optic up front & the target adjustable rear. But I didn't like the big square notch the rear sight came with so I made one out of a piece of sawzall blade with a shallow v-notch & a single vertical white stripe & I was amazed at how much faster I am with it. I'm gonna guess that the next steel match I shoot I'll shave at least a full second off of each run if not more. It is just a quick & simple set up. I'll probable look into the xs dot sights for my xdm now that I've shot a similar set up & like it. I think with the small dot I wouldn't have any problems at longer ranges but the big one would probably get a little sloppy at longer ranges. So I would say it's go.na come down to personal preference & which ever one you like the best. That's what really matters on your gun, if you like it works for you.
biggjimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-29-2012, 01:45 PM   #12
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 23108
I put Big Dot sights on a 3" 1911 and needed to be inside the barn to hit the side of it.

Conversely, I have TFOs on two of my XD pistols and really, really, like them(love is reserved for family members).

They glow at night, and really shine in the daylight.

Douglas MacArthur
KenW. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:06 PM   #13
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 72376
I think the reason some people have trouble with the XS sights is one of perception -that it's like other sight systems. When I first got them I kept trying to line up the big ball in the center of the rear sights notch. I figured that is how I did it with the old U or V sights since I was a kid and it was the same .

I was shooting a red dot system on another system and it dawned on me as long as it was a relative straight line from my eye the big dot I was good. The eye can't focus on 3 planes, rear sight front sight and target. I focus on the front and put it on the slightly blurry target and fire. I don't even really see the rear just a horizontal line. In my mind I tell myself to put the apple on the fence post and fire. From 10 feet out to as far as I can realistically shoot I am much more accurate.

I just wanted a system that was better than point and shoot yet allowed me to the limit of my combat range, put all the rounds on a combat target not a bullseye. For myself I wanted speed. I go to the range with my 23 year old son. He is twice as fast if we both use stock sights. I am closer in speed with the XS sights.

If you want to shoot bullseyes the XS sights may not be for you. They are less precise. Most of my groups are 2 fist size. Using my other guns and sights I can make groups half that or on a good day better still.

I know some can shoot much tight groups with XS sights. However they can I suspect, do even better with conventional sights, just not as quickly.

Sent via Mental Power
Happypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:19 PM   #14
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 60375
Ok, I'm still looking at the big dots but I didn't realize that they didn't keep the same profile as the stock rear sight. So now it's between them and meprolight tru dot night sights. I think I'm going to call or email XS to see if other sights that keep a similar profile to the xdm rear but aren't necessarily for the xdm will work.
apoll0741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:26 PM   #15
XDTalk Member

Member #: 75340
Quote:
Originally Posted by apoll0741 View Post
Ok, I'm still looking at the big dots but I didn't realize that they didn't keep the same profile as the stock rear sight. So now it's between them and meprolight tru dot night sights. I think I'm going to call or email XS to see if other sights that keep a similar profile to the xdm rear but aren't necessarily for the xdm will work.
You really need the XS rear with the Big Dot front.
Bikeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:39 AM   #16
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 60375
I understand, its just that some of their sights are similar to the factory rear in that they go as far back as possible but they are made for other Springfield's, or M&P's, etc. In either case I'm thinking speed sights will give me the best of both worlds. Large easy to see front sight, accuracy at longer distances, traditional three dot set up so I may not need as much time to get used to them, and still quick target acquisition. And it looks like the rear is fairly similar to the factory Springfield rear.
apoll0741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:32 PM   #17
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 49858
Once using the TFO's, I can't see choosing anything else myself, unless they just aren't available for sum such firearm.

"So...they say you have a monster? A curse upon this land?? I am ripper, tearer, slasher, gouger. I am the teeth in the darkness, the challenge in the night. Mine is strength, and lust and power. I am Beowulf!"- Anglo-Saxon Nowell Codex

μολὼν λαβέ
N.E. Tx.XD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:17 PM   #18
XDTalk Member

Member #: 75340
Quote:
I understand, its just that some of their sights are similar to the factory rear in that they go as far back as possible but they are made for other Springfield's, or M&P's, etc. In either case I'm thinking speed sights will give me the best of both worlds. Large easy to see front sight, accuracy at longer distances, traditional three dot set up so I may not need as much time to get used to them, and still quick target acquisition. And it looks like the rear is fairly similar to the factory Springfield rear.
I am not sure the height would match up properly though. Not sure about that, but definitely check it out first.

I also think you are going to lose a lot of the speed of sight picture acquisition. For me at least, that dot just wants to sit right on top dead center of that bar. Three dots never want to line up in a nice little row.
Bikeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:22 PM   #19
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 43432
I have the XS Big Dots on my Glock and love them for "self defense" sights. Very fast acquisition.

BUT..... to get accurate with them take a lot of time and practice. The standard dot may be a little easier (but that takes away from the speed of front sight pick up).

Would I do them again? On a daily carry, self defense gun... yes.... for something that may need a bit more accuracy? Maybe not.

Would take a look at the Trijicon HD, or maybe some of the new styles of "speed sights" or other new ideas on fast sight alignment pictures that are out there.

James' site (sponsor here) has some great ideas to look at.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:17 AM   #20
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 61133
Quote:
You should definitely take a look at the Trijicon HD sights.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » SA-XD/XD(M) Accessories

night sights, sights, tfo, truglo, xs sights

Search tags for this page
do xs standard dots work with factory rear

meprolight vs xs big dot

pro idot xd
size of xs big dot compared with xd sights

tfo

tfo dot size vs trijicon hd dot size

tfos vs xs standard dot sights

trijicon hd vs xs big dot

trijicon hd xd sp101o worth cost
truglo tfo or xs big dot for xds 9mm

truglo tfo vs xs big dot

xs big dot ruger sp101

xs big dot sights for home defense

xs big dot sights xds

xs big dot vs tfo

xs xds standard dot regulates low
Click on a term to search for related topics.