• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

.22 LR Conversion kit

This is a discussion on .22 LR Conversion kit within the SA-XD/XD(M) Accessories forums, part of the XD Talk category; You can get them here - Conversion Kits-www.glockmeister.com But you'll NEVER find one for an XD/XDm ... We've been asking for years...

Old 11-10-2011, 07:18 AM   #11
XDTalk 35K Member

Member #: 15886
You can get them here - Conversion Kits-www.glockmeister.com

But you'll NEVER find one for an XD/XDm ... We've been asking for years
AZXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-10-2011, 09:46 AM   #12
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 59447
Usually we do get what we want, when it is beneficial for the company. If this doesn't happen, then SA genuinely does no think it will benefit them finacially through a cost benefit analysis. I disagree. I think the 9mm XDm should have an optional included 22 conversion kit. This would reach out to everyone. I would pay a $200 extra over the price of a 9mm. Then, I would let everyone shoot it and I mean across the board, niece, nephew, friends kids, grandma, grandpa, girlfriend, train my son on it someday. This would put the XDm in more hands than any 10mm, single stack, or compact version ever could. Talk about marketing.
COBRACOMMANDER82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:53 AM   #13
XDTalk 500 Member

As AZXD pointed out on the referred website, the Glock kits are $325. Over my $200 standpoint. For that price, they should just make a 22 XDm. But, I still believe a limited edition 9mm with a 22 conversion kit for $825 would sell like hot cakes. But, I am not going to say that I have the information SA analyst have or it is not in the works already. They sure do have a tight lip overe there at SA. All I know is that this is a +1 for Block currently.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:02 PM   #14
Official Site Vendor

Member #: 1513
Its not a cost thing it is a reliability thing. A 22 conversion does exist but is not reliable for any length of time. The way the XD works will not allow it to use a 22lr. The slide is being pushed closed by the recoil spring which also puts tension on the striker in the opposite direction (single action fully cocked). When the round fires the recoil spring has to be weak enough for the slide mass to cycle and recock the striker, but strong enough to load a new round, lock up, and hold the striker back. You have fine tuned opposite forces that have to counter act each other. And the Striker spring has to be strong enough to reliably ignite the round.

With Glock the Striker is only in partial tension the trigger pushes the the striker back when you pull the trigger. With an XD the striker when cock is always in full tension.
ajamesp51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:20 PM   #15
XDTalk 500 Member

Very enlightening James. Sigh. Well, I am still in the market for a 22 handgun with a combat feel. None of that target crap. Just my opinion. I do love my Ruger 22 rifle with browning scope. I guess, it is the walther P22 for me.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:11 PM   #16
XDTalk Member

Member #: 64656
I usually think a dedicated 22 handgun will be better than getting these conversion kits. A Walther P22 or Sig Misquito cost around $300.
VL221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 04:19 AM   #17
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 6152
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajamesp51 View Post
Its not a cost thing it is a reliability thing. A 22 conversion does exist but is not reliable for any length of time. The way the XD works will not allow it to use a 22lr. The slide is being pushed closed by the recoil spring which also puts tension on the striker in the opposite direction (single action fully cocked). When the round fires the recoil spring has to be weak enough for the slide mass to cycle and recock the striker, but strong enough to load a new round, lock up, and hold the striker back. You have fine tuned opposite forces that have to counter act each other. And the Striker spring has to be strong enough to reliably ignite the round.

With Glock the Striker is only in partial tension the trigger pushes the the striker back when you pull the trigger. With an XD the striker when cock is always in full tension.
Well, we didn't say it had to work exactly the same way as the current XD does... it just has to mount on the frame. Mechanically, something similar to the way the Ruger .22 pistol uppers operate would be suitable and doable, eliminating the "cock on closing" aspect of the regular XD types. Using only a short section of the slide but leaving the barrel and other mass in one place could do it. This is all a function of the upper design and does not really depend on the trigger group. Still, rimfire ammo does not require a huge hit from the firing pin, so it still might be doable the normal XD way but with a blowback action instead of the current delayed locking one.

Strangely, a lot of folks who do not believe in evolutionary Darwinism seem to believe in social Darwinism... go figure!
JustSomeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 07:36 AM   #18
XDTalk 35K Member

Member #: 15886
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy View Post
Well, we didn't say it had to work exactly the same way as the current XD does... it just has to mount on the frame. Mechanically, something similar to the way the Ruger .22 pistol uppers operate would be suitable and doable, eliminating the "cock on closing" aspect of the regular XD types. Using only a short section of the slide but leaving the barrel and other mass in one place could do it. This is all a function of the upper design and does not really depend on the trigger group. Still, rimfire ammo does not require a huge hit from the firing pin, so it still might be doable the normal XD way but with a blowback action instead of the current delayed locking one.
Brass is still brass.

AFAIK, 3 companies have tried to develop a 22 conversion for the XD, and couldn't get it to work properly.
The external safety addition, complicated things, and the XDm complicated things further.

I doubt you'll ever see a 22 conversion, although you might someday see a dedicated 22 that looks and feels like an XD/XDm.

But in a market that is flooded with 22 pistols, it probably won't be a profitable venture for HS Produkt, and I seriously doubt SA will negotiate a new contract that would allow them to make a 22 clone.

Heck,
When was the last time SA made a 22, anything ?
AZXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:02 PM   #19
JRM
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 54072
Quote:
Originally Posted by COBRACOMMANDER82 View Post
I guess, it is the walther P22 for me.
I have the Walther P22 only because I got a great deal ($200) from a co-worker who only put about 200 rounds through it. Has 2 mags, case, and cleaning kit. And it SUCKS!!! It only likes CCI mini mags and even then, best it does is a FTF every 4th round, and never ever feeds the last one. Also have FTE about 1 in 20 rounds. My P22 is just a terrible pistol. And this is my judgment after putting about 1000 rounds through it. I'd recommend you look at Ruger or other brands but stay clear of the P22.
JRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:17 PM   #20
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 64031
If they designed a .22 XDM that held more than 10-12 little bullets it would sell. I would like to see a rotary type mag with 20 rounds. The mag would still be wide like a double stack and the feel of it would replicate also. Wishful thinking....I know, but it would be awesome.

"Breathe when you can. Shoot when you should"--Rob Leatham
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » SA-XD/XD(M) Accessories

Search tags for this page
22 conversion for xd
22 conversion kit for springfield xdm
22lr conversion for springfield xd
springfeld xdm 40 22 conversion
springfield xd .22
springfield xd .22 conversion
springfield xd 22
springfield xd 22 conversion
springfield xd 22 conversion kit

springfield xd 22lr conversion kit

springfield xd conversion .22
springfield xdm .22 conversion
xd 22 conversion
xd 22lr conversion kits
xdm 22lr conversion
xdm 22lr conversion kit
Click on a term to search for related topics.