• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Ordered a Barsto barrel. Questions.

This is a discussion on Ordered a Barsto barrel. Questions. within the SA-XD/XD(M) Accessories forums, part of the XD Talk category; I called Bar-Sto today to order a replacement barrel for my 9 Tac. I was waiting for them to say "it'll take a few months". ...

Old 05-22-2006, 09:58 PM   #1
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 4279
Ordered a Barsto barrel. Questions.

I called Bar-Sto today to order a replacement barrel for my 9 Tac. I was waiting for them to say "it'll take a few months". I lucked out and someone just canceled their order and one was available for immediate shipment. I told them to send it as-is oversized or what they call "Match Target". Having them make it semi drop-in would actually delay it a week so they could machine it down to size.

I won't be fitting the barrel myself but what is involved with fitting a Bar-Sto? Does the chamber need to be reamed? What else needs to be trimmed?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
021411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-22-2006, 11:52 PM   #2
Official Site Vendor

Member #: 39
I have some photos around of what I had to do. No chamber reaming. It helped to have a milling machine for one of the steps. I can send you the info.

I have no clue if what I saw was typical or not. But it is a damn nice barrel!
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 08:52 AM   #3
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 3721
I found this on another site.

Quote:
Fitting a match barrel
The Jack Fuselier Way
First let's clear up a common misconception about the space between the hood and the breech.

#1 The clearance between the hood end and breech is irrelevant, as long as it is enough to function with fouling present.

#2 For tight grouping the barrel should be fitted so that the hood goes into the breech slot precisely with minimum clearance.

#3 For the hood to be fitted this precisely, the underlug must first be fitted into its slot so it moves without side play. This guides the hood into the breech.

#4 As the barrel goes into battery, it is guided by the underlug and the hood must be fitted to the breech slot to follow this movement. The hood is trimmed in width on each side whatever amount is needed so that it will slide smoothly into lockup without any clashing or side force from the sides of the breech slot. No more than necessary for clearance should be taken from the sides of the hood. Excess clearance contributes to poor grouping.

WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENS WHEN THE GUN IS FIRED
#5 The barrel does not move backward while the slug is still in it. It is driven forward and rotates in whatever slack is available because of the thrust and torque of the slug being driven through the rifling. The barrel must be held tightly both at the underlug and at the breech for minimum movement.

#6 Fore and aft slack in the top lugs is not desirable on a gun that is intended to fire high power loads. A gun to shoot "hot" loads should have minimum F & A slack. While in battery before firing the barrel is forced back against the breech by the recoil spring, and the slide is forced forward. Any slack in the locking lugs is therefore in front of the barrel lugs. Upon firing the barrel is driven forward by the slug being forced through the bore and is stopped by the slide lugs. With excess slack a momentum will build up and batter the locking lugs, making things worse by developing more slack.

I am not addressing any of the other issues involved in putting a tight accurate gun together, this is only about barrel fitting. Grouping is spoiled when the barrel is allowed to move while the slug is being driven down the bore. Particularly bad for grouping is rotary movement because obviously the barrel will not rotate on the bore axis with suspension at three points, the bushing, the hood and the underlug.

Accurizing is about eliminating variables. I try to put a match grade gun together with minimum clearances, so that when it is shot a few times and settles in, it will retain the accuracy for a very long time.
Quote:
Battlestar Galactica Book Of Pythia
"All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again."
Quote:
People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. River Tam Serenity
agalindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 01:29 PM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 1119
Fitting barrels

Have Irv send a copy of his video with the order that will help a lot. I do them all the time with a simple hand file. Good luck.
dyferant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 04:57 PM   #5
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 67
There is a video on Old Schools' web site that shows
how to fit an EFK barrel.

I am sure that the principal is the same.

Ed
Old 05-24-2006, 05:53 PM   #6
XDTalk 1K Member

Thanks guys. I'll look into it. Barsto shipped my barrel the same day I ordered it. Talk about being lucky!!

Old 05-26-2006, 12:08 PM   #7
XDTalk 1K Member

Picked up the barrel today at my local UPS station. I missed delivery yesterday. Talk about not being able to sleep! :P

She's beautiful. Now I need to get my slide back from XD-HS2000 so I can have it professionally fit. Hurry James!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » SA-XD/XD(M) Accessories

Search tags for this page
barsto barrel delivery?

barsto barrel fitting video

do bar-sto barrels need to be reamed?
fitting bar-sto barrel
tight lockup barsto barrel
underlug xd
what hood on barsto barrel
Click on a term to search for related topics.