• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

EFK Firedragon barrel accuracy (replacement, not conversion)

This is a discussion on EFK Firedragon barrel accuracy (replacement, not conversion) within the SA-XD/XD(M) Accessories forums, part of the XD Talk category; I am interested in an aftermarket replacement barrel for my XD-9 Tactical. I'm trying to squeeze everything out of my tactical that I can. I ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » SA-XD/XD(M) Accessories » EFK Firedragon barrel accuracy (replacement, not conversion)

Old 05-21-2006, 07:06 PM   #1
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 4279
EFK Firedragon barrel accuracy (replacement, not conversion)

I am interested in an aftermarket replacement barrel for my XD-9 Tactical. I'm trying to squeeze everything out of my tactical that I can. I like mods.
If both were put on a ransom rest, would the EFK outshoot the stock barrel?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
021411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-31-2012, 09:52 PM   #2
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 75261
Can't answer the question but have you considered a storm lake barrel? For an extra $20 I had mine ported. Now my 9mm shoots softer than a babys fanny.

'Free Speech Zones" confuse Obamaphone owners who roam streets in search of additional air minutes
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:15 PM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 24815
I have an EFK 40 to 9 conversion and find it to be fairly accurate. I would buy another one.
syberguner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:06 PM   #4
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 67026
I don't have an EFK or an XD, but I do have an XDm Comp with a hand-fitted Bar-sto match barrel.

I have shot both barrels one after another, in a "single blind" (meaning a friend switched the barrels and didn't tell me which I was shooting) test, 100 rounds with each barrel. The match barrel, hand-fitted by Daniel at Powder River, gets me about a 5% reduction in mean radius of group sizes.

That ain't a lot. For clarity, with the standard barrel (which, on the XDm, is supposed to be a match barrel already, so YMMV with an XD) I'm getting groups with a radius of about 2.65 inches at 25 yards. That's freehand, but slow-fire.

A 5% reduction is about an eighth of an inch. Sure enough -- I'm getting about 2.51 inch groups with the custom barrel.

FWIW, that's exactly what Daniel predicted. When I was ordering, he told me an XDm competition will usually see improvements around 5% if it's in good shape.

So if an eighth of an inch is worth hundreds of dollars to you, then go ahead. I, too, like mods, and I also compete, so that 1/8th can mean the difference between an A and a C score to me. There's also the issue of the custom fit barrel seating itself better during rapid-fire, but I haven't measured that, and probably never will.

What I don't know is how much of an improvement a custom barrel will make in an XD. If we believe Springfield when they say that an XDm Competition already has a "match" barrel, then it's expected that the best of the best would only make a minor improvement.

Since an XD does not have a match barrel from the factory, then perhaps we might see a larger improvement in results, making the mod a better value. How much more, I have no idea at all.

One last thing -- Daniel told me that much of the improvement does not come from the aftermarket barrel, but from the custom fitting done by a talented gunsmith. He said it was the majority of the difference, and he used to work for Bar-Sto back in the day, so he knows custom barrels like very few others. So, regardless of the barrel you choose, make sure to get it custom fit from a smith who knows what they are doing -- don't just get a drop-in replacement that requires no fitting.

Oh -- post results! We want to hear how the old barrel does vs the new one!
speedrrracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:56 AM   #5
mdx
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 30843
If your shooting great groups with the stock barrel ,then the answer is no.
mdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:20 AM   #6
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 34520
I wouldn't even consider what you are thinking unless I was to add something, like a threads, or porting.
Groo is online now   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » SA-XD/XD(M) Accessories

Search tags for this page

efk fire dragon accuracy

efk firedragon -insight m2

efk firedragon accuracy

factory barrel vs efk stormlake

fire dragon xd accuracy

how accurate are fire dragon barrels?

how accurate are the fire dragon barrels on the xd

info on efk replacement barrels

replacement xd barrel

Click on a term to search for related topics.