• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Is it a Big deal to deactivate grip safety with grip sleeve?

This is a discussion on Is it a Big deal to deactivate grip safety with grip sleeve? within the SA-XD/XD(M) Accessories forums, part of the XD Talk category; I like my XDm but the grip seems too slim. I had an extra Hogue grip sleeve laying around and put it on and now ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » SA-XD/XD(M) Accessories » Is it a Big deal to deactivate grip safety with grip sleeve?

Old 06-20-2011, 01:08 PM   #1
XDTalk Member

Member #: 33851
Is it a Big deal to deactivate grip safety with grip sleeve?

I like my XDm but the grip seems too slim. I had an extra Hogue grip sleeve laying around and put it on and now my XDm feels perfect. The only thing is it covers up and deactivates the grip safety. I don't really see an issue since the Glock and S&W M&P both have a trigger that is close to the XDm's and they don't have a grip safety. I only use this gun for the range and competition. I know pachmahr makes a grip sleeve that keeps the safety intact but it doesn't seem to have much of a palm swell which is what I need.

What do you think?
tenchu74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-20-2011, 01:10 PM   #2
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 54551
You should be fine. Like you said it would not be the first gun to only have a trigger safety.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

Current resident of the Chicago State Prison system.
Milhouse86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:16 PM   #3
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 12944
Some have also trimmed the area on the sleeve to keep the grip safety.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:29 PM   #4
Official Site Vendor

Member #: 1513
Why not just trim the grip, it is never a good idea to deactivate a safety.
ajamesp51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:34 PM   #5
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 47176
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajamesp51 View Post
Why not just trim the grip, it is never a good idea to deactivate a safety.
I agree.........
SA Trophy Match 1911
LJenkmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:43 PM   #6
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 33268
That's one way to turm glock leg into xd leg. Just trim it so the safety works

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

IWB

OWB
xdmp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 03:06 PM   #7
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 54775
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdmp22 View Post
That's one way to turm glock leg into xd leg. Just trim it so the safety works

lol I was gonna say you are gonna catch a case of glock leg!
Bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 03:21 PM   #8
XDTalk 35K Member

Member #: 15886
Your gun, but if it was mine, I'd be in the trim it crowd.
AZXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:05 PM   #9
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 58322
So I've been assuming that when you draw or reholster the XDm, you should keep off the grip safety. Is that correct?

What I've been doing while practicing the draw is wrap my middle, ring, and pinkie fingers around the grip, indexing my trigger finger over the holster so when I draw it indexes to the frame, and place my thumb behind the rear sights, then pull up to clear the holster. Then when I pivot, that's when I bring the thumb around and therefore press the grip safety. On reholstering, I basically reverse the process and move my thumb onto the rear sights just before the pivot back into the reholstering position, there by coming off the grip safety.

That seems to be the natural way to do it, I'm just wondering if that's how everybody does it or if there's a better way.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:12 PM   #10
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 43658
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosT View Post
So I've been assuming that when you draw or reholster the XDm, you should keep off the grip safety. Is that correct?

What I've been doing while practicing the draw is wrap my middle, ring, and pinkie fingers around the grip, indexing my trigger finger over the holster so when I draw it indexes to the frame, and place my thumb behind the rear sights, then pull up to clear the holster. Then when I pivot, that's when I bring the thumb around and therefore press the grip safety. On reholstering, I basically reverse the process and move my thumb onto the rear sights just before the pivot back into the reholstering position, there by coming off the grip safety.

That seems to be the natural way to do it, I'm just wondering if that's how everybody does it or if there's a better way.

I was always taught to get a proper grip BEFORE yanking the pistol from the holster. What you just described sounds like a droped pistol waiting to happen when you need to least drop it........
Boris is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » SA-XD/XD(M) Accessories

Search tags for this page

1911 grip sleeve

1911 holster deactivates safety

covering xdm grip safty

deactivate 1911 grip safety

deactivate grip safety

deactiving a safty grip 1911

disable grip safety xd

grip safety deactivated or not
grip sleeve for 1911 pistol
grip sleeves over xd safety

hogue grip to cover grip safety of xdm

springfield grip safety sleeve

springfield xd grip sleeve

xd grip sleeve safety

xdm cover grip safety

Click on a term to search for related topics.