• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Interchangeable Barrels

This is a discussion on Interchangeable Barrels within the SA-XD/XD(M) Accessories forums, part of the XD Talk category; Kind of a newbie to the world of handguns. Have hunted for years and own numerous rifles and shotguns, but just recently bought a Subcompact ...

Old 09-18-2010, 04:48 PM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 48961
Interchangeable Barrels

Kind of a newbie to the world of handguns. Have hunted for years and own numerous rifles and shotguns, but just recently bought a Subcompact Springfield XD 9mm.

I was talking to a friend of mine at the range today who shoots a Glock. He was telling me that for the Glocks they have interchangeable barrels, whereas I could put a .40 barrel in a 9mm frame. Is this possible with the handgun I have? Could I buy a .40 or .45 barrel and switch it out with my 9mm barrel? Is this legal? My friend said after speaking with a seller at a local gun store, who had spoke to Pennsylvania State Police about the issue, that this is still legal and somehow the serial numbers can still match. Has anyone done this or does anyone have further information on the issue?

Thanks in advance!
NateXD9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-18-2010, 04:54 PM   #2
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 3721
The OEM XD barrels are not interchangable in anything other than .40 and .357sig.
You can buy conversion barrels that will allow you to shoot 9mm in a .40 or .357 sig gun.

You can not but a .40 barrel or .45 in a 9mm not even in a glock the breech face is smaller for the 9mm cartridge and it would not feed a .40 cal case.
Quote:
Battlestar Galactica Book Of Pythia
"All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again."
Quote:
People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. River Tam Serenity
agalindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 02:58 AM   #3
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 6152
Like Agalindo says... you can go to a smaller caliber barrel with a pistol made for .40/357Sig, or perhaps from a .45ACP/.45GAP to a .40/357SIG sized round, but the breechface of the 9mm will not accept larger calibers, nor will the hole in the front of the slide that the barrel comes through. 9mm conversion barrels are thicker than stock 9mm barrels in order to compensate for this difference when fitted to a gun which was manufactured as a .40 or 357SIG. I'm not even sure if eventually they will have .40/357SIG barrels for the guns that came as .45ACP's, but it might be possible. I don't think you will be able to reliably go from .45ACP to 9mm though without some other changes being made... principally to the extractor and ejector, as the .45ACP is so much wider at the base that the extractor would not be able to close on the rim of the smaller 9mm round, and the ejector might miss it entirely and not fling the empty case free of the breech when cycling. Feeding on the overly large .45 breechface would also be a problem as the head of the small 9mm case would be free to "move about at it's leisure" so to speak. These same problems might apply to the .45 to .40 conversion to a lesser extent. I would have to take a lot of measurements, as I'm sure the makers of conversion barrels already have, to see if this is feasible.

Strangely, a lot of folks who do not believe in evolutionary Darwinism seem to believe in social Darwinism... go figure!
JustSomeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:35 AM   #4
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 48961
Thanks for the information, guys. Really appreciate it. Guess I'll just have to buy another Springfield .40 or .45 when I get around to it. Oh man, what a total bummer, huh? Haha.
NateXD9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » SA-XD/XD(M) Accessories

Search tags for this page
1911 pistols with interchangable barrels
40 cal interchangeable barrel pistol
do they make a 45 pistol that has interchangeable barrels for other calipars

handgun with interchangeable barrels

handguns with interchangeable barrels

interchangeable .40 and .45 barrels
interchangeable barrel handgun
kimber pistol with interchangeable barrels
pistols interchangeable barrels
pistols with changeable barrels

pistols with interchangeable barrels

pistols with interchangeable calibers
springfield xd barrels interchangeable
what handgun are interchangeable
which pistols come with changeable barrels
xdm 9mm barrell interchangeability
Click on a term to search for related topics.