• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Which Weapon Light?

This is a discussion on Which Weapon Light? within the SA-XD/XD(M) Accessories forums, part of the XD Talk category; Ive been looking into getting a new weapon mounted light to replace the XML on my XD9 Service. I'm hung between the TLR-1 and the ...

Old 09-05-2010, 09:57 PM   #1
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 13039
Which Weapon Light?

Ive been looking into getting a new weapon mounted light to replace the XML on my XD9 Service.

I'm hung between the TLR-1 and the Surefire X300. I know the TLR has a Strobe feature and the X300 doesn't.

Is the X300 worth $100.00 more?

Opinions?

Blake.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:11 PM   #2
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 39443
Be sure of your part numbers if you order.
A TLR-1 does not have have a strobe.
A TLR-1s does have the strobe.

You should also see if you can play with the TLR-1s before you buy. I have read that some folks feel that the method of tapping the the switch to get to strobe mode does not come intuitively.

I have the TLR-1, in fact I have two. I broke the lens on one of them, emailed Streamlight and said it was my fault, not a warranty thing, how much for a new lens. The sent me one free.

The TLR-1s is stated to be brighter than the TLR-1, but I don't know if that stated lumen output is steady state or in the strobe function.
Old4Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:18 AM   #3
XDTalk Member

Member #: 16966
Go with the Insite WX-150, or Insite XTi Procyon. They are both basically the same light, and both are bad ass. Search that on here you will find my review of them. And at >$150 a helluva value.
RedPitbull44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:25 AM   #4
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 29650
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPitbull44 View Post
Go with the Insite WX-150, or Insite XTi Procyon. They are both basically the same light, and both are bad ass. Search that on here you will find my review of them. And at >$150 a helluva value.
I agree. Since it's easy to detach I find myself using it as a flashlight a lot. Insight's customer service is awesome too.
eb_311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 03:46 PM   #5
XDTalk Member

Member #: 48346
I have a TRL-1 on my XDm and an X300 on my XD (i like the XD better therefore it gets the better light) I can tell you first hand the X300 is way brighter. But i think i paid $94.99 for TRL-1 and paid $250.00 for X300. i like the warranty with Surefire and that they are made here in USA. As with all things, you get what you pay for. For a dresser/night stand gun, TRL is perfect fit. For hardcore use ie. law enforcement, military or night shoots, go with the best, go with Surefire.

My all black XDM 9mm (the Stealth)
Plus my wonderful Surefire X300 weapon light

Oh, and lots of ammo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

glock-hater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:50 PM   #6
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 13039
Thanks guys! i didn't realize how much the holsters were for weapon lights.

Got a chance to play with both of them today, i like the strobe feature on the TLR but the Surefire feels better built and is a lot brighter.

Blake.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:57 PM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 48684
I can say the Streamlight TLR-1 S model on my XDM is flawless @ 160 lumens. I can say I personally have seen a TLR-1 and a TLR-1 S next to one another and the TLR-1 S is much brighter. The strobe feature is awesome. The Surefire is a very nice light, don't get me wrong, but I don't see the value balancing out the increase in cost by a long shot.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:49 PM   #8
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 47244
The difference is that the TLR-1s has the strobe, hence the "S" designation. The strobe is brighter at 160 lumens, where as the "on" is at 135. I just picked up the 1s and I love it. It actually balances the xd quite well. It's perfect for a middle of the night break in when I don't have time to grab my glasses, and strobe is very disorienting
K.O.D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:36 AM   #9
XDTalk Member

Member #: 40216
Depends on how much you want to burn Surefires are $$$ i would personally get the TLR-1s not becuase of the strobe but because it is brighter. Good luck actuating the strobe function in a high stress situation
Mikee1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:29 PM   #10
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 38984
Surefire ALL the way!!!!!!!!!!! buy once, cry once. I bought the streamlight TLR-3 a while ago and it sucks. The light itself is great, don't get me wrong. But it WILL NOT stay on the rail when shooting!! which makes it worthless. They use a screw that "holds" it on to the rail but it doesn't engage with the notches on the rail at all so when you shoot, it just flies off!

Surefire is PERFECT and is so simple/easy to attach/detach. x300 is well worth the money.

just my 2cents.
Surefire X300
Raven Concealment holster
ColoBrit is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » SA-XD/XD(M) Accessories

Search tags for this page
best weapon light for xdm .40
insight wx150 procyon strobe. can be toggled between flashlight mode and strobe mode.

insight wx150 vs surefire x300

insight wx150 vs. surefire x300
insite wx 300
streamlight tlr vs surefire x300 on xd9
surefire strobe weapon light
surefire vs insight

surefire x300 strobe

surefire x300 strobe feature
surefire x300 with strobe
tlr1-s vs x300

tlr1s review

x300 strobe
x300 vs tlr1s
xd weapon light
Click on a term to search for related topics.