• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

High-Capacity Mag weirdness

This is a discussion on High-Capacity Mag weirdness within the SA-XD/XD(M) Accessories forums, part of the XD Talk category; Well, as I've mentioned in most of my other threads, I've been very interested in boosting the capacity of my XD since I bought it ...

Old 07-14-2009, 12:08 PM   #1
XDTalk Member

Member #: 2807
Question High-Capacity Mag weirdness

Well, as I've mentioned in most of my other threads, I've been very interested in boosting the capacity of my XD since I bought it during the BS "assault weapon" ban, and thus all of my mags were the limited 10rd capacity. I have a 4" XD in 357sig, with an EFK drop-in 9mm conversion barrel.

It's kinda weird, because a while back I bought a 10rd 40s&w mag that was supposedly altered to work with 9mm for my conversion barrel. I think I only got a chance to try it once before my untimely demise, and remember having a few ftf issues. I wish I had tried just using 9mm rounds in the 357 mags I already had, because just recently I tried them out, and they fed fine. the 40 mag holds the rounds tilted down slightly, which I believe is why they jam. It might help if the EFK barrel ramp were tweaked slightly, but it looks like the mag is the main issue.

Anywyas, as far as the high capacity mag weirdness... I bought a full-capacity SA 357sig 12rd mag, and then an AGP mag extension and extra power spring, which gives me a nice 15rd backup mag. Then I did several weeks of price shopping for Mec-Gar mags, as well as the 30/32 rd National & Promags which everyone seems to hate.
I found a great deal on those mags & an upLULA at Trophy's Hunting Gear. I have to pass on this find to you, now that I have received the products and can verify that they are legit. They have the Mecgar 13rd 40(357) & 18rd 9mm XD mags for $19.55! So I got one of each of those. They also have the dreaded Promag 32rd 9mm XD mag for $21.76. I know everybody says they are trash, but I figured it would at least be good for novelty and possibly fun on the range; but the main thing that motivated me was the possibility of the so-called "assault weapon" ban returning in a permanent way, as it sounds like may happen with our current political situation. Since I got my XD back in the day, it didn't come with a speedloader, so I also had to get the much-loved upLULA(for $22.64!). Using the upLULA, I was finally able to get the last two rounds into my SA mag w/ the AGP extension, and that worked just fine.

So here's where it gets weird: I loaded the Mecgar mags, which have gotten unanimously positive reviews. I was pleasantly surprised that they really did look good and flush when loaded in my XD. The 9mm mag worked great with my conversion barrel, but the 40 mag jams(wtf, ftf)! I was shocked, I was using jhp rounds, though I'd never had that problem with my SA mags. So I bought some fmj wwb 357sig rounds at Wally World(Ugh, I feel dirty giving $ to that wretched corporate incarnation of evil!), thinking they might feed better. However the tips of the rounds were flat, not rounded as I had hoped. But I thought they would probably still feed easier than the jhp's. No dice, still jammed! WTF?! I haven't heard of ANYONE else having a problem with Mecgar mags! WHY?!!

Like my problem with the "converted" SA 40 mag, I think the issue is with the mag and how/where it holds the round. However, as suggested with my problem with the inproperly converted SA mag and my conversion barrel, the feed ramp might have been an aggravating factor? Now obviously the 357sig barrel is the one that came with the gun, so I don't think it could even be as much of a factor as the 9mm conversion barrel(which is to say I'm pretty sure that's NOT the problem), but I have to wonder about it for one reason. I had the barrel hard-chromed. I really hadn't even shot the gun much and "broken it in". I probably haven't even put much more than 100rds through my XD, sadly(I haven't even shot it in 5 years now!). So I have to wonder if chroming the barrel almost out of the box may have made the feed ramp a little... pickier? Again, I still think the issue is with the magazine, since I have NEVER had a ftf with my SA mags. Any advice on how to correct this issue?

Hang on, it gets weirder! I checked out the dreaded Promag. First off, YUCK! it came coated with some kind of sticky black grease. The bag it came in still has the grease print in it. BTW, I'll try and post some pics of all of this gear soon. Anywho, after wiping that nasty gunk off of the Promag, I tried loading it using the upLULA. It's hard to say for SURE, because I'm easily distracted and the Promag doesn't have any holes drilled in it to indicate how many rounds it is holding(boo!), but I THINK I was able to get 35 rounds loaded in it! WOW. I didn't think it would even hold 32, and probably stop at 30. I had read reviews of the Promag 20rd 40s&w mag where people said that even using a mag loader they were not able to load anywhere close to 20. But when the mag is loaded into the XD, it is a little loose and sits a hair too low, and the rounds don't want to feed unless I press the mag up firmly into place, then they feed fine. I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to fix that little glitch.

This is where it gets REALLY weird. I don't know why I even tried this, but for some reason I tried to put some 357sig rounds into the Promag 32rd 9mm mag, and they fit! I was able to load 15rds of 357sig ammo into the mag before something bloacked them. I could tell that the mag wasn't full, but something got in the way. There's no dimples in it like the SA 10rd mags, so I'm not sure what they were hitting. I didn't feel like taking the mag apart to investigate, but I just might if I get really curious and bored. The weirdest thing is, the 357sig rounds would feed from the 9mm promag without even needing to push it up like when using the ammo it was made for(9mm)! HOW WEIRD IS THAT?!
The 9mm Promag works better with the 357sig rounds than the 40s&w Mecgar mag!!! What gives?! I am so thoroughly confused! Does anyone have any ideas on how to solve my magazine issues???
Old 07-20-2009, 10:16 AM   #2
XDTalk Member

*bump*
I'll try to get some pics up in the nest few days of my XD with these mags & the ammo I have in the hope that they might help illustrate/clarify this situation somewhat, but in the meantime I'd appreciate some advice from those of you who have experience with/knowledge of these items/issues. Thanks
Old 07-20-2009, 09:06 PM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 33553
Weird, my MecGar has been flawless and it's what I keep in my 9MM at all times, I'd use it over a factory mag. I bought the POS ProMag 32 rounder and fit in all 32 rounds easily, didn't try to squeeze anymore in. It jammed every round when I loaded it before going to the range, but the second time I tried it and loaded it at the range it performed great. What gives... If I had any confidence in the ProMag I'd probably leave it on my nightstand.
Ruger LCP: Crimson Trace, Pearce +2 extension, Pachmayer slip on
Ruger SR9: Hate it, wife's gun
Walther P22: stock, cheap, and fun to shoot
Mossberg 500A: Tapco stock, 3 barrels, main HD gun
And an AK47
eXtremeDuty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 06:43 PM   #4
XDTalk Member

Anybody have any ideas or suggestions about:

1- What I should do about the Mecgar 40s&w mag that has problems feeding? Should I contact the vendor, the manufacturer, or try to mod it like filing the top lips or something? I tried to stick a large x-acto knife handle in the front lips of the mag to stretch it out a little, but it seems to be made of spring-steel or something and didn't budge. I can get the 357sig rounds to feed ocasionally if I lock the slide back and release it, though it does catch some. However if I just pull the slide back and release it, it jams. I have ruined several rounds of 357sig ammo playing with this, as the bullet gets pushed back into the case when it catches on the feed ramp.

2- Is there any way to secure the Promag so that it sits secured where it needs to be and doesn't slip down so that I have to hold the bottom of it to keep it positioned high enough for the 9mm rounds to feed?
Old 09-16-2009, 10:38 PM   #5
XDTalk Member

>BUMP!< Still haven't figured this problem(s) out, ANYBODY have any ideas/suggestions?
Old 09-16-2009, 11:47 PM   #6
XDTalk Member

Member #: 35288
Have you contacted SA?
theqbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:36 AM   #7
XDTalk Member

I doubt SA would be much help with this situation as my problems are with aftermarket mags. I expected issues with the Promag, though I suspect there may be a way to fix it, though I don't really have a clue what that may be.

However I was not expecting issues with the Mec-Gar mag, as they seem to work perfectly for everyone else. My SA mags work fine, but I was hoping to find some mags with greater capacity, and was hoping the Mec-Gar mag would be suitable for carry purposes.

I was thinking that if I was going to contact anyone about this issue, it would either be the supplier I bought them from or the manufacturer(Mec-Gar), but I'm not really sure what would be the most productive route and was hoping somebody here would have some helpful suggestions. But the hunt continues...
Old 09-18-2009, 12:44 AM   #8
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 13774
Knowing you are disabled and want/need a handgun to help offset the fact you look like an easy target, what are you going to do with a 32rd magazine?

I cannot imagine being able to conceal it . It's basically useless at the range since you are not practicing with what you are carrying.

Also, trying to modify a magazine to accept an extra round or two does not seem to have any benefit in relation to the risk, since the mod can lead to function and thus reliability issues. Honestly (and it's just IMO), if you can't get the job done with 10 rounds, I don't see 12 rounds making the difference.

Again, with your physical limitations, I would always choose function and real world practice, practice, practice above everything else. And again, practicing with 32rd magazines doesn't do much for 'real world' aid. Pick and carry quality and functioning magazines, practice with those and forget about sacrificing quantity for quality.

(or switch weapons and see about concealing an uzi. but again.....practice with that uzi )
Myk9noseknows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:14 PM   #9
XDTalk Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myk9noseknows View Post
Knowing you are disabled and want/need a handgun to help offset the fact you look like an easy target, what are you going to do with a 32rd magazine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonz0 View Post
I found a great deal on... an upLULA, the Mecgar 13rd 40(357) & 18rd 9mm XD mags, So I got one of each of those. They also have the dreaded Promag 32rd 9mm XD mag for $21.76. I know everybody says they are trash, but I figured it would at least be good for novelty and possibly fun on the range; but the main thing that motivated me was the possibility of the so-called "assault weapon" ban returning in a permanent way, as it sounds like may happen with our current political situation.
Quote:
I cannot imagine being able to conceal it . It's basically useless at the range since you are not practicing with what you are carrying.
I never intended on concealing it, I don't even use my 9mm conversion barrel when I carry. The 9mm is for cheap target practice and fun, the 357sig is for self-defense. I don't think the magazine I use for target practice is really crucial. I'm comfortable with the weapon and the 357sig ammo, and don't think using a different caliber or a different mag for target practice is totally different, and certainly isn't useless.

Quote:
Also, trying to modify a magazine to accept an extra round or two does not seem to have any benefit in relation to the risk, since the mod can lead to function and thus reliability issues. Honestly (and it's just IMO), if you can't get the job done with 10 rounds, I don't see 12 rounds making the difference.
I am not trying to modify a magazine, the issue is that I bought magazines that were made to hold more than the factory mags, and certainly more than the 10rd limited mags that came with the XD; but the higher capacity mags I bought aren't working for reasons that I don't understand and need help correcting. The modified mag I bought through this forum 6 or 7 years ago was for 9mm rounds, and thus not for self-defense purposes. Since it wasn't modified correctly, I don't use it, for ANYTHING. The AGP mag extension adds 3rds to the 12rd mag, for 15 total. I bought the extra power spring, and nothing important about the magazine was modified. So I added several extra rounds to the mag, and with the extra power spring I believe I actually improved the mags reliability. And yeah, several extra rounds PROBABLY won't make a crucial difference in a self-defense situation. But just like the gun itself, it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

But back to the point of this thread, the factory mag with the AGP extension is NOT what I'm having problems with. The problems with the Mec-Gar mags not feeding is the primary issue that I need help with. Everything I read about the Mec-Gar mags, which is what I want for concealed carry, indicated that they are very reliable. I seem to be the only person having problems with them, and would really appreciate some help in correcting that problem.

I feel that I have explained my reasons for the buying the giant 9mm Pro-mag magazine, and don't think it is productive debating or justifying that any more. Like I said, my primary concern is solving the problem with the Mec-Gar mags. It would be nice if I could get the Pro-mag to work too, regardless of how I use it. I bought it and would like to able to use it, and would appreciate if somebody could help me do that too.

Last edited by Gonz0; 10-12-2009 at 11:26 PM.
Gonz0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:00 PM   #10
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 67
Wish I could help. All my Mec-Gar
mags work.

Two suggestions: send them back,
or take them back to the seller and
get replacements, and/or find a friend
who owns the same machine as you,
and see if the mags work in their
machine. Elimination process.

The best in your venture.

Ed

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » SA-XD/XD(M) Accessories

ftf, high-capacity, magazines

Search tags for this page
high cap mag for xd9mm

high cap mag xd9

high capacity mag xd9
high capacity magazine for xd 40

high capacity magazines xd 9

how to change xd9 magazine to high capacity

mec gar magazines xd 9

reviews for mec gar xd 40 mags
xd 40 extended magazine seattle washington
xd high 32 magazine
xd high cap m ag

xd high cap mag

xd high capacity mags

xd9 extended magazine

xd9 high capacity magazine

Click on a term to search for related topics.