• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

National Mags vs. Promags?

This is a discussion on National Mags vs. Promags? within the SA-XD/XD(M) Accessories forums, part of the XD Talk category; I have a 4" 357sig XD w/ a 9mm EFK conversion barrel. I have several SA 10rd mags that came with the gun when I ...

Old 06-24-2009, 11:19 PM   #1
XDTalk Member

Member #: 2807
Question National Mags vs. Promags?

I have a 4" 357sig XD w/ a 9mm EFK conversion barrel. I have several SA 10rd mags that came with the gun when I bought it(during the ban), and have since bought a 12rd 357sig SA mag.

I have been looking into getting some higher capacity mags(made more urgent by the current political situation), but am still trying to educate myself on my options, and have not been able to find much info. Here's what I have learned so far:

Mec-Gar makes the highest quality aftermarket XD mags; and while I do plan on getting some, they only hold 1 or 2 more rounds than the full-capacity SA mags and I would like to get some higher capacity mags.

I have seen the 32rd 9mm & 20rd 40s&w Promags, but the general consensus seems to be that Promags suck. I have also seen the similar looking 30rd 9mm & 20rd 40s&w National mags, but have not been able to find any substantial info or reviews on them. From the little bit of info I have found, it sounds like they are not the highest quality, and have issues similar to the Promags. I have heard rumors that they are a bit better than Promags, but have not been able to find anyone here who has actually used or owned a National XD mag, much less compared them to Promags. Surely some of you have experience or knowledge about these mags? Somebody... anybody, please?!

I am also a little confused about a common feature of the National & Promags. Apparently they are both single-stack. Why is that? It seems to me that if you're going to make a high-capacity mag like a 30+ round 9mm mag(or 20rd 40sw), it would make more sense to keep them more reasonably sized with the double-stack. There's probably some fundamental reason for doing this that I don't understand, anyone care to explain?

I know I probably sound like a clueless newb('cause I kinda am), but I would really appreciate it if some of you more knowledgeable and experienced XD talkers could help me understand this issue and find the best high-capacity solution.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:09 AM   #2
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 5738
You either want Mec-Gar or factory. Every other XD mag is junk.
ranburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 04:50 AM   #3
XDTalk Supporter

Member #: 20418
Promags.............
Don't even...........

I use Mec-Gars in all my Sigs, well almost all..
Prefer them over stock Sig mags when applicable...

"Scheiße nicht gegeben"......Deer Slayer
1lowlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 04:57 AM   #4
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 29363
If it helps, I had a hi-cap ProMag for my first pistol (Ruger .45) and it worked great, and I have a boatload of ProMags for my AK and they never miss a beat. If you are going ultra-hi-capacity, I'm assuming they are just for messing around at the range, so why not just try them and see? Like you said, MecGar doesn't make what you want, so what choice do you have?

I've never had any experience with National mags.
mr1incred1ble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:02 AM   #5
XDTalk Member

I intend on getting a Mec-Gar for carry, and the National/Promag for range use/rainy day. But I'm on a VERY tight budget, so I'd really like to hear from someone who has tried both so I can buy the best one and not pay and pray. There have got to be some people here who have used the National mags?

I'm also still curious about mag extensions, which I know even less about, and am fishing for answers to in this thread.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:25 PM   #6
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 7263
I wasted good $$ on a promag. I only buy factory or Mec-gar now which many times are one and the same.
1903 A3 .30-06
Jack Russell Terrier
LTC-USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 02:11 PM   #7
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 13774
ProMags are horrible pieces of crap, don't waste your time or money.

National Mags are even worse, if that's possible.

MecGar is the way to go to save money and not get a headache.
Myk9noseknows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:12 PM   #8
XDTalk Member

OK, I'd heard that someone saw that National Mags got rated better than Promags somewhere, but when I googled it, I saw unanimously AWFUL reviews for National mags; though I don't think I came across anything specifically about National's XD mag, but I seriously doubt they suddenly improved. The National mags are also more expensive than Promags.

I got some Mec-Gar mags for carry(God I hope I my Concealed Carry Permit goes through!!!), but I just couldn't resist getting one 32rd 9mm Promag(it was under $22). I got it for novelty & fun on the range(if I can find a local public range), but I mostly got it just because the BS "assault weapons" ban was in effect when I bought my XD(BOOOO!), and it sounds like it may return in a permanent way(NOOO!!!), so I wanted to get one now while I still can.

I am still thoroughly confused about why the high-cap National & Promags are single stack? Is there any logical reason for that? That seems totally backwards to me, can someone please explain if there is any kind of good reason for that???

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » SA-XD/XD(M) Accessories

high-capacity, magazines, national, promag

Search tags for this page
9mm single stack high capacity mag
9mm single stack high capacity magazine
are national magazines any good
hi capacity single stack 9mm magazine
national 32rd mags for springfield xd9

national mags

national vs promag
nationalmags
promag magazine springfield xd 9mm
promag ? springfield xd mags
single stack 9mm mags 30 rd
single stack 9mm. hi.cap. mags.
springfield xd 9mm national magazine
springfield xd promag
who makes national mags
who makes xd magazines
Click on a term to search for related topics.