• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Letter from my congressman.

This is a discussion on Letter from my congressman. within the RKBA News and Information forums, part of the Political Discussions category; January 22, 2013 Dear Mike: Thank you for contacting me to express your support for the Second Amendment. Hearing from constituents like you helps me ...

Old 01-22-2013, 09:14 PM   #1
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 54620
Letter from my congressman.

January 22, 2013

Dear Mike:

Thank you for contacting me to express your support for the Second Amendment. Hearing from constituents like you helps me to better represent you in Washington.

First, no words can describe the tragedy that occurred on December 14, 2014. As a father and a grandfather, I extend my deepest condolences to the family and community of the victims. Understandably, this crime has sparked a national dialogue about whether there are steps we can take to prevent a tragedy like this from happening again. I do not pretend to have all the answers, but I believe that at its core the problem is not the absence of law, rather the lack of respect for human life and human dignity.

As you know, the Second Amendment codifies the individual right to keep and bear arms. I do not see how a criminal's actions have changed the meaning of our most sacred document. Law-abiding gun owners in Northern Michigan should not have their Second Amendment rights restricted because of the actions of criminals who are determined to hurt innocent people.

I believe the problem is much deeper and more complex than any of the current proposals contemplate. In my opinion, additional gun control measures such as the President has called for will have little impact on criminals. Criminals, by definition, are simply not law-abiding. Such measures will, however, have the most significant adverse effect on law-abiding citizens.

Please know that I intend to honor the oath I took to uphold the Constitution of the United States – including the Second Amendment. We cannot allow the President to sidestep Congress. I am opposed to President Obama using Executive Orders to circumvent or change current law, and I will carefully review all legislation introduced in the 113th Congress.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share with me your opinion. Should you have any additional concerns, please feel free to contact my office at (202) 225-4735.

Sincerely,
Dan Benishek M. D.
Member of Congress

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

Soil that is dirty grows the countless things. A river that is too pure contains no fish. Thus as a mature person you properly include and retain a measure of grime.
YoopermikeXDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-22-2013, 09:16 PM   #2
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 54620
Gotta love the date! Dec, 14, 2014?? Guess they dont proof read their letters!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

Soil that is dirty grows the countless things. A river that is too pure contains no fish. Thus as a mature person you properly include and retain a measure of grime.
YoopermikeXDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:21 PM   #3
XDTalk Member

Member #: 82371
nice
GatPistolGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:24 PM   #4
Old Timer

Member #: 47680
I have some pro 2A reps that have written equally supportive responses... it warms the heart.
///MCoupé is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Political Discussions » RKBA News and Information

Search tags for this page

pro 2a letter to congressman

pro gun letter to congressman

Click on a term to search for related topics.