• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Only issue I've had with my PRP Drop In Trigger Kit.

This is a discussion on Only issue I've had with my PRP Drop In Trigger Kit. within the Powder River Precision forums, part of the Forum Sponsors & Commerce category; I want to start off by saying that Daniel responded to my email very quickly (thank you Daniel, your fast response is a breath of ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Forum Sponsors & Commerce » Powder River Precision » Only issue I've had with my PRP Drop In Trigger Kit.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:12 AM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 88144
Only issue I've had with my PRP Drop In Trigger Kit.

I want to start off by saying that Daniel responded to my email very quickly (thank you Daniel, your fast response is a breath of fresh air in the customer service arena) and hopefully I'm capable enough to fix the issue. Apologies if this thread gets a tad long, but I just wanted to be thorough and not miss anything to help anyone else with same issue I had/ve.

I've gone through all the thread in PRP's section to see if anyone else had same issue as me and my 4" XD9, and my friends XD40 Tactical. That issue being having to really pull that trigger to get it to drop the striker.

Background: buddy and I each bought one of PRP's Drop In Trigger Kits for the XD (PRP-057) approx. a year ago, shortly after they were released. We used PRP's excellent YouTube video to walk us through the install, did function checks after all parts installed, and we were both floored on how much better the kit was over stock. We each fired a mag or two through our pistols to get the full effect of the awesome-ness. Fast forward to today when my buddy and I went to the range with a couple co-workers, both to sight in a couple ARs and to show off the kit to one of our friends who has a stock XD45SC. He dry fired his sc, then tried to dry fire my xd9. I say try because he had to really mash the trigger back to drop the striker. I got confused, and my buddy with the xd40 said he's been having the same issue.

I load 5 rounds into a mag and have the coworker try it again because I really wanted him to see how well the kit was. First four rounds fired ok, but the last one had same need to mash the trigger. This doesn't leave me with good feelings because this is the gun in the bedroom for my wife to use for protection when I'm at work (nights) and I use it for ccw when we travel out of state, which must be 100% reliable.

Confused, I put my xd away and chalked it up to maybe some junk stuck somewhere (I'm a tad lazy when it comes to cleaning my guns, plus I like to see how long and what it takes to get a pistol or rifle to finally start choking up). I get home an hour later or so and email Daniel. With a couple hours I get a response from Daniel, again way sooner than I expected, and tells me:

It sounds like the over travel stop on the trigger needs more material removed. The frame of the pistol will expand and contract with temperature. When it gets cold more over travel is necessary to fire the pistol.

Try this at room temp (70 degrees) fold up a strip of paper so that it is 6 thicknesses of one sheet and so that it can fit behind the trigger between the over travel stop and frame. This is the amount of over travel necessary to fire the pistol when it is 30 degrees F.

If you need any more help please let me know.

It was in the high 30s at the range and a strong wind coming from the west straight towards us. The t-stat shows 69 deg. in the house, have had my xd9 under a lamp (stupid cfl) for an hour and still has the issue. The description for the kit doesn't mention anything about filing down the over-travel stop due to temps. in the 30s or below, which might be a good idea to add. Glad to know all it needs is some filing, and hopefully my hands can be steady enough to do the job right, lol.

By chance anyone else have this issue with their Drop In Trigger Kit?

Again apologies for the length of this! Left over trait from my short stint as a LEO writing detailed reports.
Weezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-06-2013, 05:07 AM   #2
XDTalk Supporter

Member #: 67234
Not a biggie, just fine tuning.

There are other accounts here of the tuning. Just not in the Vendor Section.
Go to the Gunsmithing Maintenance Section.

LINK to a TUNE Job

PRP is High Quality with Great Customer Service.

XD-M 9mm 3.8 Compact
XD-S 45ACP 3.3
Glock 21 Gen4 45ACP
Taurus PT709 Slim 9mm
Mossberg 500 Tactical
Colt M4 6920 MP FDE 5.56/223
Beretta CX4 Storm 9mm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
Torked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:39 AM   #3
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 88144
Well, now I feel like a dingus , Thanks for the tip and link Torked. I'm still sifting through all the sub-sections. Didn't realize the PRP section was more of a vendor section.

If a mod feels it necessary, please move my thread to the gunsmithing section.
Weezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:28 AM   #4
XDTalk Supporter

Member #: 67234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezy View Post
Well, now I feel like a dingus , Thanks for the tip and link Torked. I'm still sifting through all the sub-sections. Didn't realize the PRP section was more of a vendor section.

If a mod feels it necessary, please move my thread to the gunsmithing section.
No worries my friend! Welcome to the forum...Great bunch of Guys and Gals here!

XD-M 9mm 3.8 Compact
XD-S 45ACP 3.3
Glock 21 Gen4 45ACP
Taurus PT709 Slim 9mm
Mossberg 500 Tactical
Colt M4 6920 MP FDE 5.56/223
Beretta CX4 Storm 9mm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
Torked is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Forum Sponsors & Commerce » Powder River Precision

Search tags for this page
issues with prp drop in trigger

legal issues with prp trigger kit

powder river precision prp drop in trigger kit
prp taurus pt 709 trigger kit
prp-057-45
prp-057-sc
prp057sc
prpr drop-in
taurus 709 trigger kit
taurus pt 709 correcting trigger overtravel
trigger kit pt709
trigger kits for taurus pt709
what states is a prp trigger legal in
xdm prp drop in trigger issues
Click on a term to search for related topics.