• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Concealed carry - loaded chamber?

This is a discussion on Concealed carry - loaded chamber? within the The Polling Place forums, part of the Use and Training category; When I carry concealed I often carry with the chamber unloaded. While I understand the XD has several safeguards against accidental discharge, I find myself ...

View Poll Results: Concealed carry - loaded or unloaded chamber with the XD?
Loaded chamber 432 91.33%
Unloaded chamber 41 8.67%
Voters: 473. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-08-2009, 03:02 AM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 32234
Concealed carry - loaded chamber?

When I carry concealed I often carry with the chamber unloaded. While I understand the XD has several safeguards against accidental discharge, I find myself unholstering and reholstering the gun throughout the day (for example, I might take it off and lock it in the car before going into the bank, etc).

I have never had an accidental trigger pull, even with the chamber empty. I guess I'm just paranoid about that one in a million chance I could be re-holstering and there could be something in the way of the trigger.

Should I be worried about that sort of accidental discharge? I understand that I am greatly decreasing the effectiveness of the gun as a self defense weapon by carrying on an empty chamber. What are the alternatives?

Thank you for your time.
Asclepius is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-08-2009, 04:05 AM   #2
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 24597
Try and get used to holstering and unholstering your XD without a full grip on the gun. What I mean is......make sure you DO NOT have the grip safety engaged and you should not have any problems. Just make sure the web/palm of you hand is a little back from the grip safety. If the grip safety is not engaged, even if you should catch the trigger on something, you will not have a discharge.

Carrying a weapon without a round in the chamber is damned near useless.

Alternatives? If you are really concerned about it, get the XD45ACP Service model with the additional thumb safety. The XD45ACP Tactical model also comes with a thumb safety but the service model is a better choice for concealment.
Spawnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:20 AM   #3
XDTalk Member

Member #: 27860
I would definitely keep a full, solid, shooting grip on the gun while unholstering. Re-holstering is where I would be worried about an ND. I make sure to shift my hand to disengage the grip safety when I re-holster.
rabidrabbit2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:31 AM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 19246
Carrying unloaded is just asking for trouble, IMO. One may not have the time to rack a round when the SHTF!
Kimber UC .45
Hubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:55 AM   #5
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 32074
agreed, while i dont carry mine. no ccw yet. it is almost pointless to carry a weapon with no round in the chamber. think about it you will only use it if your life is in danger. so if your life is in grave danger and you need to use deadly force, your most likely not going to have time for the racking of a round. unless you get a nice bad guy and ask him for time out.
xdm4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 05:16 AM   #6
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 29363
glad i live in oregon because there is almost no place i need to worry about carrying. but honestly, you need to figure SOMETHING out to enable carrying while chambered. how dumb (or dead) would you feel if something happened and someone got the jump on you while you were racking the slide? i remember the first time i was actually carrying locked and loaded (army in bosnia). it felt strange because every time i had ever chambered a round ever since i was a kid, it was because it was about to go bang, and it just felt weird walking or driving around like that, but i got used to it. you can't become complacent, but you can't be cautious to the point of paranoia either. you have to to be both comfortable and respectful with your weapon.
mr1incred1ble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:23 PM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 31308
Just like you Hubs. If the $hit hits the fan, you will not have time to unholster, then rack back, then aim and squeeze. The rate of an accidental discharge on a pistol with our double saftey standards is very slim to none. I forgot who it was, but they dropped our XD with a loaded chamber, with a mag inserted, and one test without a mag inserted, from like a 50 ft drop. Nothing, they just broke the chamber indicator.

On a personal issue though, condition 1 whenever I leave my doorstep, condition 3 when I am at home. Condition 4 is when I am cleaning. Other than that, I am always ready. One shot, one kill, ready to die, but never will. Semper Fi... But hey, I know most will agree.
Dragon Talon TSi AWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:26 PM   #8
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 27076
I have to agree, one in the pipe. I too was not used to NOT having a safety. A short time and watching the torture test, carry one in the pipe all the time!!
Old 01-08-2009, 03:55 PM   #9
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 28784
I never want to have to rake the slide in case of a bad situation so one more for loaded.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:01 PM   #10
XDTalk 50K Member

Member #: 29563
Why carry if the pipe is empty? The purpose of carry is defeated with an empty weapon

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Use and Training » The Polling Place

carry, chamber, concealed, loaded, unloaded

Search tags for this page
can i carry my concealed weapon loaded
can i carry my gun loaded
can you carry a loaded gun with a concealed weapons permit
carry loaded or unloaded
carrying with a loaded chamber
carrying xd chambered
chamber loaded or unloaded when carrying concealed
concealed carry gun loaded
concealed carry loaded
concealed carry loaded chamber

concealed carry loaded or unloaded

does military carry loaded chamber
is it legal to have your weapon loaded while concealed in sc
should i carry my ccw loaded
should i carry my gun loaded
with ccw carry loaded
Click on a term to search for related topics.