• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

AR-15 Poll: Which one would you rate the best?

This is a discussion on AR-15 Poll: Which one would you rate the best? within the The Polling Place forums, part of the Use and Training category; Ok there are a number of AR-15 versions out there. Which one would say is the best of the best? These are the only ones ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Use and Training » The Polling Place » AR-15 Poll: Which one would you rate the best?

View Poll Results: AR-15 Which one would you rate the best?
Colt 30 15.87%
Bushmaster 41 21.69%
Rock River Arms 48 25.40%
S&W M&P 8 4.23%
Armalite 8 4.23%
DPMS 16 8.47%
LMT 9 4.76%
Olympic 3 1.59%
Other 26 13.76%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-27-2006, 10:16 PM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 11043
AR-15 Poll: Which one would you rate the best?

Ok there are a number of AR-15 versions out there. Which one would say is the best of the best?

These are the only ones I could think of, which I figure are the most known.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
: Reign of Fire (Played by Matthew McConaughey)

Last edited by roberto-232; 10-27-2006 at 10:24 PM.
roberto-232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-27-2006, 10:36 PM   #2
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 12538
What about this one?

XDAndMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 10:44 PM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

What brand is that?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
Old 10-27-2006, 10:45 PM   #4
XDTalk 25K Member

Member #: 1698
Hmmm... the best?

I'd say the best is one that is built for you, either by you or by someone else. If you build it yourself/have someone else build it you can get everything you want and nothing you don't.

They all have some drawbacks.
  • Colt's are notoriously expensive and not all the parts are combatible with other makes.
  • Rock River Arms only uses Heavy Barrels (HBAR) so there are no lightweight or Government (i.e. light under the handguards) profiles.
  • Bushmaster seems to be a pretty even mix. They have good barrel selections and their parts are compatible with others. Plus their seleciton of configurations are good.
  • Olympic has decent quality control and uses good parts.
  • Stag/CMT rifles are only offered in M4 and 20" rifles, but are top notch quality.
  • LMT offers a pretty good selection but they can get a little pricey too.

A few others are:
  • Armalite- The innovator of the AR15 and offers quite a few varieties.
  • Cavalry Arms
  • DPMS
  • Eagle Arms (rebranded Armalite)
  • Ameetec-Arms --they had a special on complete lowers for $200.
  • CMMG- Excellent quality firearms but you'll pay a bit more than you will with some of the others.
Other companies that make/assemble ARs have excellent reputations for quality work and 'built to order' configurations but you'll pay for these premiums.

A few are:
  • MSTN
  • ADCO firearms
  • AR15barrels.com
  • Denny's Guns/ GTS
There are quite a few of others, but these are the first that came to mind.

Suppliers of kits vary...
  • Del-ton uses quality parts and has excellent service.
  • M&A parts has a great selection.
  • Model1Sales offer cheap configurations for shooter grade ARs.
  • JT distributing offers a good mix between quality and price.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."

&

Last edited by Krackels; 10-27-2006 at 11:02 PM.
Krackels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 10:57 PM   #5
XDTalk 25K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDAndMe
What about this one?

That's not an AR15; it's technically a Sig 556.
And if you were going to go that route I'd say you pony up the money and get a real 552/551 with the side folding stock.

Some other alternatives if you want something different are piston driven upper recievers for the AR15.

POF-USA makes one and I think DS Arms sells them.
and Leitner-Wise makes one.
Sig should have one out soon and so should Colt (although I'm not sure if it will/has hit the civilian market).
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."

&

Last edited by Krackels; 10-27-2006 at 11:10 PM.
Old 10-28-2006, 01:37 AM   #6
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 4886
AFAIK, the Sig 556 is STILL not available in the US.
And when it finally IS available, I will purchase my first EBR.

When seconds count, the police are only five minutes away.
------------------------------------
MY PARTIAL TOY LIST
XD-9 5" (Production)
XD-40 5" (Limited10)
SA 1911 Loaded (Limited10/SingleStack)
STI Spartan (Limited10/SingleStack)
Kahr PM9 (CCW) KT P3AT (CCW)

Remington 11-87 (Trap)
Remington 870 Express (HD/Trap)

Misc Rifles for fun and hunting
BBunin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 02:39 AM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 13154
How about...

ZM Weapons LR 300

movezig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 06:57 AM   #8
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 8785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krackels
[*]Rock River Arms only uses Heavy Barrels (HBAR) so there are no lightweight or Government (i.e. light under the handguards) profiles.
Why is this bad? I'm getting an AR soon and was considering RRA.

I was anti-Obama when Anti-Obama wasn't cool. Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.-- Glen Aldrich

The wealthiest nation in the world with the mightiest army man has ever assembled could not stop them.

PackerfanXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 08:56 AM   #9
XDTalk 100 Member

Personally for me thatís a mustÖ..I want a heavy barrel. Iíve owned two ARís and both have been heavy barrel.

We have RRA ARís at work and I think they keep up pretty good. When you think they arenít assigned to anyone so they just get abused by everyone. They have been keeping up with the abuse.
Old 10-28-2006, 09:24 AM   #10
XDTalk 25K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerfanXD
Why is this bad? I'm getting an AR soon and was considering RRA.
It's not necessarily a bad thing, but the extra weight isn't really needed. Click here for a view on different barrel profiles.
From Bushmaster's site:
Heavy 16" = 2.7 lbs
Fluted 16" = 2.3 lbs
M4 GI 16" = 2.2 lbs

I don't mind the extra weight, my barrel is a HBAR, but some people do. Personally I think it's more important to get a barrel twist that is more appropriate for the type of shooting you plan on doing.

Older barrels (ala M16A1s) came in 1/12" twist and generally are incapable of shooting accurately any bullet over 55grains. Most barrels from manufacturers are a 1/9 twist which stabalizes the more common 55 & 62 grain bullets and some report will stabalize match grade bullets 69-75grains.

Personally if I could do it again, I'd go with a 1/7" twist so that I'd have the option to shoot heavier bullets while still having the ability to shoot the more common surplus (55-62grain) bullets. Of course if you plan on using this rifle for varmint shooting or other small game you'd probably want a slower twist and somthing like 1/8, 1/10, or greater would give you greater stability for varmint sized bullets, I think Winchester makes a 45 grain varmint bullet.

There's much to be said about the varieties of the AR15 and a good bit of it comes down to personal preference. I would say that if this is to be a 'target rifle' or for serious use (other than just making pop cans explode on the range) I'd spend the extra money and get a Rock River Arms 2-stage trigger.

&

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Use and Training » The Polling Place

Search tags for this page
best ar 15
how to rate an ar15

rate ar 15

rate ar 15 manufacturers

rate ar 15 rifles
rate ar 15s
rate ar-15
rate ar-15s
rate ar15
rate ar15 manufacturers
rate ar15's
rate manufacturers of ar-15
rate my ar 15
rate the ar 15
rate the best ar15's
top rated ar-15 manufacturers
Click on a term to search for related topics.