• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

How old is the Earth?

This is a discussion on How old is the Earth? within the The Polling Place forums, part of the Use and Training category; What you choose to believe on this matter is faith. Weather it is faith in the common teachings based on a reprinted and translated book, ...

View Poll Results: How long has the Earth been in existence?
less than 10,000 years 34 15.81%
greater than 10,000 years 181 84.19%
Voters: 215. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-22-2013, 07:08 PM   #81
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 34520
What you choose to believe on this matter is faith. Weather it is faith in the common teachings based on a reprinted and translated book, often credited as being the Word of God or faith in what scientists in a couple of different fields say, it all comes down to choosing who you decide to believe.
Groo is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-22-2013, 08:13 PM   #82
XDTalk Member

Member #: 83882
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfchemist View Post
The evidence I'm familiar with is in the radiometric dating of various earth samples, rock samples brought back from the moon by the Apollo astronauts, and dating of meteorites that have survived entry into our atmosphere. And by radiometric dating I'm not talking about Carbon-14 but other radioactive isotopes that now number nearly a dozen.

By studying our solar system as a whole in conjunction with dating of meteorites and lunar rock samples. By comparing our Sun to other Suns, knowing the distance to other suns (stars) are all used to determine the earth's age to a remarkable degree of accuracy.

Dating of these samples can be done on samples in the nanogram (one billionth of a gram) range using sophisticated instruments like a Mass Spectrometer. As an example: uranium - lead radiometric dating can date back to 3 billion years with a very low error rate of less than 5%.

These tests have been performed in laboratories all over the world. All of the laboratories come to the same conclusion that the age of our little blue marble floating near the sun is a little over 4 billion years old.

There are other scientific disciplines that have also calculated the age of our planet but I'm not familiar with them. Maybe others here can talk about some of the other dating methods.
Right! With regard to radiometric dating, what can you tell us about The Hourglass Illustration?
Old 01-22-2013, 08:30 PM   #83
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 49858
And.....did you know that if you gave 1000 chimpanzees a typewriter, over a million years, sooner or later they would type a Shakespearian play???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Molon Labe!

"So...they say you have a monster? A curse upon this land?? I am ripper, tearer, slasher, gouger. I am the teeth in the darkness, the challenge in the night. Mine is strength, and lust and power. I am Beowulf!"- Anglo-Saxon Nowell Codex

μολὼν λαβέ
N.E. Tx.XD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:15 PM   #84
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 16502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fileobrother View Post
Wrong. My faith is based on experience. My religious practices are based on the Bible. If the bible didn't exist, I would still question why scientists take their educated guesses about the universe and preach(yes preach) them as fact.
Case-in-point, the Oort Cloud. In my Astronomy class, my professor said that it was a fact not a theory, that comets come from a big cloud-like dispenser that chunks out another one in time for the last one to break up. Never been observed, or experimented on. Only a hypothesis keeps this in the textbooks. This is a huge component in the age of the universe argument.
Also, the Miller experiments, both Miller's original, and the more recent discovery of his work, used junk science that actually proved its antithesis, that in order to create life using "primordial" elements would be impossible because it would have to be created with oxygen and CO2 in the mix, which would destroy whatever life it was used to create because of oxygen's corrosive abilities. So how did the "big bang" occur?
Scientists point to the geologic column and carbon dating as proof of the age of the Earth. So why is it that less than 1% of strata follow the geologic order of eras? Carbon dating is pointed to as a sterile test of age. What scientists will not tell you about is the almost exponential concentrations of carbon and oxygen in the atmosphere around 6,000 years ago that would make carbon dating past that point completely useless without calculating the higher concentrations.
I have never claimed science to be perfect. Though I would trust it more than any religion today or the past. You really mean to tell me that in 4000 years (after the great flood) that we now have the blacks in Africa, whites in Europe, Asians in Asia, Indians in America? 4000 years without modern medicine and wars to get to 7 BILLION people on this place. Mathematically impossible.

Please explain to me how Christianity (one of the youngest regions on this planet) is the correct religion now vs much older religions (Muslim, Jewish, Egyptian, Celtic, etc)? I trust science since I can touch it and run the numbers. I cant trust stories from a book written by man for man. Know religion, know war. No religion, no war.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

US Army 2005 - 2014
Kimber Series I Compact Aluminum - My Carry
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

NRA Life Member
SAF Defenders Club Life Membership
AZCDL Life Membership

IN HELPDESK WE TRUST #2

"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!"

Capt. John Parker, Lexington militia
ArmyGuy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:01 PM   #85
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 84633
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyGuy45 View Post
I have never claimed science to be perfect. Though I would trust it more than any religion today or the past. You really mean to tell me that in 4000 years (after the great flood) that we now have the blacks in Africa, whites in Europe, Asians in Asia, Indians in America? 4000 years without modern medicine and wars to get to 7 BILLION people on this place. Mathematically impossible.

Please explain to me how Christianity (one of the youngest regions on this planet) is the correct religion now vs much older religions (Muslim, Jewish, Egyptian, Celtic, etc)? I trust science since I can touch it and run the numbers. I cant trust stories from a book written by man for man. Know religion, know war. No religion, no war.
+1 to you sir. The chemist made excellent points as well. Glad to see folks whose heads are not in the sand.
johnnyblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:08 PM   #86
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 23483
Real Real Real old.
Approx 4.54 Billion Years Old

By the way...I believe that there is a God.

I am very scared at some of the answers posted on this topic. Real scary what some people think possible. WOW.
WOW...

Freedom Isn't Free
XDMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:12 PM   #87
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 23483
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmmoSGT View Post
I hope those who think it's less than 10k years are voting to be funny
They are not...now I really need to stock up some ammo! LOL

Freedom Isn't Free
XDMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:59 AM   #88
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 18979
Quote:
Originally Posted by CompSyn View Post
Right! With regard to radiometric dating, what can you tell us about The Hourglass Illustration?
RATE's Ratty Results: Helium in Zircons
WARNING: The above post may contain material of a humorous or ironic nature. Any grammar or spelling errors may be intended to enhance the aforesaid humor or irony. Please consider carefully before responding.

I don't care that he's black. I hate him because he's Red.

The guy who thinks he's the smartest one in the room never is.

Bucc5207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:36 PM   #89
XDTalk Member

Member #: 83882
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucc5207 View Post
More to disagree on but along the lines of what Mr. Ben Stien identifies so well:

"The reason they're so angry about it and so defensive is because the theory has so many holes in it and it's such a weak theory that they have to be defensive about it to fight off what are going to be some obvious attacks on it." - Ben Stien, The O'Reilly Factor; Questioning Evolution

With respect to RATE:

"Many of these attacks are personal attacks against Russell Humphreys himself. The degree of viciousness shows an intense desire to discredit this work at all costs, particularly the truth." - Criticism of RATE?s helium diffusion data
Old 01-23-2013, 03:50 PM   #90
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 70962
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyGuy45 View Post

If you take jesus out of it, Jewish and christain are the same! they both believe in the old testament and creation just not jesus. Your commit about christain faith being new is just wrong. Alot has changed over time but dont talk about if you dont know about it. There isn't any christains before chist because they were jewish until chirst and then two theory's/religions came from it. The new beliefs are about new things (mainly christ) not the creation of earth, I think the two would agree on that.
JCALDWELL is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Use and Training » The Polling Place

Search tags for this page

how old ls the earth

universe is older than earth

Click on a term to search for related topics.