• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

How old is the Earth?

This is a discussion on How old is the Earth? within the The Polling Place forums, part of the Use and Training category; Originally Posted by Dieselkanic fixed it for ya I think you broke it "As of 2012, the percentage of believers decreases as the level of ...

View Poll Results: How long has the Earth been in existence?
less than 10,000 years 34 15.81%
greater than 10,000 years 181 84.19%
Voters: 215. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-22-2013, 10:15 AM   #41
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 84879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselkanic View Post
fixed it for ya
I think you broke it

"As of 2012, the percentage of believers decreases as the level of education increases. Only 25% of respondents with postgraduate degrees believed compared with 52% of those with a high school education or less"

"Who is shooting me in the legs i wonder quietly to myself?"
TheJohnnyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-22-2013, 10:23 AM   #42
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 18979
The 'brainwashing' path leads nowhere. You can apply the term as easily to a religious education or a scientific one.

"You're brainwashed." "No you are." "You." "No you." "You." "You."

Grow up.
WARNING: The above post may contain material of a humorous or ironic nature. Any grammar or spelling errors may be intended to enhance the aforesaid humor or irony. Please consider carefully before responding.

I don't care that he's black. I hate him because he's Red.

The guy who thinks he's the smartest one in the room never is.

Bucc5207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:18 AM   #43
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 81420
I can't even believe that 15 voted for less than 10,000---hopefully they were joking and not being serious. Goodness gracious, no wonder our founding fathers wanted a separation of Church and State. Just a reminder: US Students recently ranked 17th out of 49 countries in science and 25th in math based upon the Programm for International Student Assessment . We can't effectively compete in a world wide economy with figures like this. I don't have an answer to our dismal academic performance but in 2013 how can anyone believe the earth is less than 10,000 years old?
sfchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:29 AM   #44
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 82193
^+1 Separation of Church and State was incredibly important to the founding fathers for a very good reason
echo4whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:33 AM   #45
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 72861
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfchemist View Post
I can't even believe that 15 voted for less than 10,000---hopefully they were joking and not being serious. Goodness gracious, no wonder our founding fathers wanted a separation of Church and State. Just a reminder: US Students recently ranked 17th out of 49 countries in science and 25th in math based upon the Programm for International Student Assessment . We can't effectively compete in a world wide economy with figures like this. I don't have an answer to our dismal academic performance but in 2013 how can anyone believe the earth is less than 10,000 years old?
I believe it because I have seen evidence to support it. It doesn't matter whether we agree or not. What bothers me is that your "position" has government support because it is "scientific", while mine is not valid to teach because it is "religious", when I have seen plenty of scientific evidence to support my beliefs. Unfortunately, the Separation of Church and State has been overexpanded to force teachers that are proponents of intelligent design or creation to teach a theory that they don't believe is scientific. The purpose of SOC&S was to prevent the government from preventing people from worshiping in their own way to their own deity/non-deity. It was NOT to prevent someone who happens to be a government employee from promoting their beliefs. And SOC&S is not a constitutional term, the term is Freedom of Worship, I believe Jefferson is the one who coined the term SOC&S, and that term has provided, by far, for the greatest INFRINGEMENT of religious rights to date.
Noble .22 pump short long LR
Fileobrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:44 AM   #46
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 16502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fileobrother View Post
I believe it because I have seen evidence to support it. It doesn't matter whether we agree or not. What bothers me is that your "position" has government support because it is "scientific", while mine is not valid to teach because it is "religious", when I have seen plenty of scientific evidence to support my beliefs. Unfortunately, the Separation of Church and State has been overexpanded to force teachers that are proponents of intelligent design or creation to teach a theory that they don't believe is scientific. The purpose of SOC&S was to prevent the government from preventing people from worshiping in their own way to their own deity/non-deity. It was NOT to prevent someone who happens to be a government employee from promoting their beliefs. And SOC&S is not a constitutional term, the term is Freedom of Worship, I believe Jefferson is the one who coined the term SOC&S, and that term has provided, by far, for the greatest INFRINGEMENT of religious rights to date.
The Governments job is not to teach my children what religion they should be practicing. That is up to the parents. Your faith is based on a book that is full of stories, some that can be proven (or close) with science. There are many religions with many stories. Its is up to the parents to teach their kid on which stories they choose to believe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

US Army 2005 - 2014
Kimber Series I Compact Aluminum - My Carry
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

NRA Life Member
SAF Defenders Club Life Membership
AZCDL Life Membership

IN HELPDESK WE TRUST #2

"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!"

Capt. John Parker, Lexington militia
ArmyGuy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:07 PM   #47
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 81420
Quote:
You've actually seen zero scientific evidence to support the idea the earth is less than 10,000 years old because none exists.

Jefferson did not use the phrase Freedom of Worship--in fact he was so anti-Christianity that he had his own Bible printed deleting all reference to Jesus. Don't believe me, take a trip to the Smithsonian and see the Bible yourself.

Intelligent design is not science, never has been and never will be. A scientific theory has to meet three criteria:

1. Explain the observations in question.
2. Make predictions that can be tested and verified.
3. Be falsifiable. (IOW, to be a scientific theory it has to have the capacity of being proven false).

Intelligent design fails miserably on the last two requirements and perhaps you should read the court decision:Kitzmiller v. Dover School Board where a George Bush appointed judge ruled that intelligent design is Not a scientific theory.

Now, having said all that, it is always possible that intelligent design is true, (although I don't believe it is); however, intelligent design can never be and will never be considered a scientific theory.
sfchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:08 PM   #48
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 72861
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyGuy45 View Post
The Governments job is not to teach my children what religion they should be practicing. That is up to the parents. Your faith is based on a book that is full of stories, some that can be proven (or close) with science. There are many religions with many stories. Its is up to the parents to teach their kid on which stories they choose to believe.
Wrong. My faith is based on experience. My religious practices are based on the Bible. If the bible didn't exist, I would still question why scientists take their educated guesses about the universe and preach(yes preach) them as fact.
Case-in-point, the Oort Cloud. In my Astronomy class, my professor said that it was a fact not a theory, that comets come from a big cloud-like dispenser that chunks out another one in time for the last one to break up. Never been observed, or experimented on. Only a hypothesis keeps this in the textbooks. This is a huge component in the age of the universe argument.
Also, the Miller experiments, both Miller's original, and the more recent discovery of his work, used junk science that actually proved its antithesis, that in order to create life using "primordial" elements would be impossible because it would have to be created with oxygen and CO2 in the mix, which would destroy whatever life it was used to create because of oxygen's corrosive abilities. So how did the "big bang" occur?
Scientists point to the geologic column and carbon dating as proof of the age of the Earth. So why is it that less than 1% of strata follow the geologic order of eras? Carbon dating is pointed to as a sterile test of age. What scientists will not tell you about is the almost exponential concentrations of carbon and oxygen in the atmosphere around 6,000 years ago that would make carbon dating past that point completely useless without calculating the higher concentrations.
Noble .22 pump short long LR
Fileobrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:15 PM   #49
XDTalk Member

Member #: 72778
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo4whiskey View Post
^+1 Separation of Church and State was incredibly important to the founding fathers for a very good reason
Separation was important to them because the Protestants did not want the Roman Catholic Church exerting political power in the new world. Protestants needed a place where they could freely worship God without the political meddling by Rome.
Jl808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:32 PM   #50
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 18979
Quote:
Also, the Miller experiments, both Miller's original, and the more recent discovery of his work, used junk science that actually proved its antithesis, that in order to create life using "primordial" elements would be impossible because it would have to be created with oxygen and CO2 in the mix, which would destroy whatever life it was used to create because of oxygen's corrosive abilities. So how did the "big bang" occur?
Miller's experiments have no bearing on the Big Bang. Zero. The conditions necessary for such chemistry did not exist until a few billion years after the BB. If you want to make a scientific argument against science, you should learn some science.
WARNING: The above post may contain material of a humorous or ironic nature. Any grammar or spelling errors may be intended to enhance the aforesaid humor or irony. Please consider carefully before responding.

I don't care that he's black. I hate him because he's Red.

The guy who thinks he's the smartest one in the room never is.

Bucc5207 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Use and Training » The Polling Place

Search tags for this page

how old ls the earth

universe is older than earth

Click on a term to search for related topics.