• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Which one? S&W M&P9 Pro Series vs. XDm 9mm competition

This is a discussion on Which one? S&W M&P9 Pro Series vs. XDm 9mm competition within the The Polling Place forums, part of the Use and Training category; Okay, I'm looking to get into some IDPA and/or 3-Gun shooting. I've been doing a lot of reading (both forums and reviews) and I'm down ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Use and Training » The Polling Place » Which one? S&W M&P9 Pro Series vs. XDm 9mm competition

View Poll Results: Which one? S&W M&P9 Pro Series or XDm 9mm competition?
S&W M&P9 Pro Series 5" 15 22.73%
SA XDm 9mm Competition 5.25" 47 71.21%
Other (others to consider) 4 6.06%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-06-2012, 12:41 PM   #1
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 62487
Which one? S&W M&P9 Pro Series vs. XDm 9mm competition

Okay,

I'm looking to get into some IDPA and/or 3-Gun shooting. I've been doing a lot of reading (both forums and reviews) and I'm down to the S&W M&P9 Pro Series 5" and the XDm 9mm competition with the 5.25" bbl. And now I'm stuck.

I have yet to have a need to use the customer service of SA, so I'm taking that portion out of the equation (everyone seemingly says they're both #1 and #2 in the industry - you pick the order - so it's kind of a non-factor anyway). The guns themselves seem to be similar in fit and function, however while I've handled both, I have yet to shoot either. Don't know anyone who owns one or both of them, so the opportunity hasn't come up where that's possible.

So, I'm looking for some advice/feedback from those of you who own one (or both) of these fine pistols. Since they're both priced about the same, which way would you go? And why?
- WI Concealed Carry Classes

μολὼν λαβέ

"The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced." - Frank Zappa

Should be required reading for all members:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
BrewGuyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-06-2012, 02:16 PM   #2
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 53491
If you can actually find an M&P pro I would go with that hand down. It feels better in the hand (for me), it's easier to work on/upgrade, and it's US made. Both will be accurate as long as you're doing your part. It's a matter of personal preference really... I see a lot more guys doing well running M&P's in competition than XD/XDm's by a long shot also, but that's all about the man holding the gun. And just remember you asked this question on xdtalk...
dhunley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:24 PM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 71177
I put 250 rounds through my new 5.25 XDm in 9 mm yesterday ..LOVE let me say again LOVE it ! 7 bullseyes in the first 100 rounds at 15 yards ! USPA/IDPA here I come ! I will post a review with target pics sometime this weekend !

“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.”

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

Springfield Xdm 3.8 compact .40 EDC in a Tennessee holster and a crossbreed supertuck

Springfield XDm 5.25 comp in 9mm

M&P shield in 9mm and a CBST

M10 762 AK-47

Winchester 1200 trap shooter !
Mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:29 PM   #4
XDTalk 1K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhunley1 View Post
And just remember you asked this question on xdtalk...
Yep, I remember. But to be honest, there are more opinions on the M&P9 out in the wild, than I've been able to find for the XDm9 Competition. Plus, knowing the crowd around here, there aren't many who will pull punches when it comes to opinions.

μολὼν λαβέ

"The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced." - Frank Zappa

Old 04-06-2012, 03:47 PM   #5
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 67521
I got my XD comp back in january and actually start next week in PPC and the next IDPA is mothers day, which will be my first IDPA.

Talked with glock, MP and XD owners...each have their fanboys and of course if you ask a glock owner which is best he's gonna say glock (if thought the XD was better he'd have bought an xd....). So that method of finding the best wont' work.

I replaced the trigger with the PRP ultimate match ($161 delivered, 40 minutes to install it myself) and I'd say get one if you plan to compete - Big improvement.

I've heard nothing bad about XDs (some shoot to the left- try grips, trigger, sight adj and well, practice - mine did and moving sights and practice fixed it). The XD's seem to be the more accurate gun - yes, they say it's the shooter and that's certainly true, but put a better gun in an avg shooter's hand and you should get better results, right?

I don't know what M&Ps come with - my XD 5.25 came with the gun, holster, mag carrier, 3 19rnd mags, a cleaning brush, tool to adj the sights and a lock, plus the case if you care, the 3 backstraps, extra front sight (a second red plus a green). $740 out the door tax and all.

I know a couple of guys at the range that had poor accuracy from their M&Ps and went with aftermarket barrels to fix the issue (sending them back to S&W didn't fix things), another had his front sight fall out repeatedly so S&W replaced his slide and then the gun was inaccurate.
An XD shooter blew up his gun with a handload (double charge? no sure) and sent it back to springfield, $75 for the repair and it's as good as ever.

So I've talked to one MP shooter and one XD shooter...multiple bad experiences from the MP guy and IMO a good story from the XD guy. YMMV of course.
Reload 9mm, 38spcl, 12g soon, 30-06
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:05 PM   #6
XDTalk Member

Member #: 70520
I've put a lot of rounds through my 5.25 and must say it's extremely accurate. I'm using a Streamlight TLR-4 with mine and it's a blast to pop the plates one after another at 25 yds. I'll be quick to say I haven't tried the M&P, but right now see no reason to. I read many reviews of the XD(m) before purchase and my LGS also highly recommended it. Just my 2 cents.

Ruger GP100 6" barrel
Ruger Single Six (old model)
Ruger LC9
rsfrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:51 PM   #7
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 63510
I dunno, I'm partial to the XDm 525, obviously. It's done well for me as I made my way up to USPSA B Class over the past few months. I did try a friend's brand new M&P 9 Pro this morning, and the trigger was horrible. It had some kind of gritty, binding feeling. It's much worse than the stock XDm trigger. However, the first thing changed on any competition gun is the trigger and/or sights, so discussion regarding the triggers of either gun is irrelevant.

You do see a lot of M&Ps on the competition circuit, but S&W has a much broader advertising campaign and marketing strategy that's well represented in the competitive world. So, they have the better name recognition, second to Glock. Remember, just because you see more of something, doesn't make it better.

You cannot beat the customer service and warranty from SA. You also cannot beat the aftermarket support from vendors such as Powder River, Canyon Creek, and Springer that support the XD series. This should play heavily in any purchasing decision.

A74093 Production - A Class, Limited - B Class
My
ErichF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:30 PM   #8
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 27123
Do yourself a favor and spend some time with a Glock 34. For $100+ less than a XDm 5.25, it's ready to go right out of the box; no need for a trigger upgrade.

Otherwise, I'd get the M&P.

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".--Isaac Asimov
Cuda66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:47 PM   #9
XDTalk 1K Member

So, as one would imagine, after the first dozen or so votes, it's skewing in the direction one would expect from an XD forum. No shock there at all.

However, there are 3 votes for "other" yet only Cuda has offered an opinion as to what "other" to check out. If you pick(ed) "other" what do you recommend?

I'm seriously asking here folks. I'm not just doing this to spark conversation.

μολὼν λαβέ

Old 04-06-2012, 07:23 PM   #10
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 33591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
Do yourself a favor and spend some time with a Glock 34. For $100+ less than a XDm 5.25, it's ready to go right out of the box; no need for a trigger upgrade.

Otherwise, I'd get the M&P.
You'll wipe out your savings on the G34 replacing the crap sights. The XDM has a better trigger than the Glock IMO. I have an XDM and a Glock. Not sure about he M&P. XDM is one sweet pistol.

If you not adverse to non-polymer pistols, check out the CZ 75 SP01 Shadow.
gocubs6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Use and Training » The Polling Place

Search tags for this page
m&p 9mm pro 5 review
m&p 9mm pro series review

m&p pro 9mm review

m&p pro 9mm reviews
m&p pro series review
m&p pro vs xdm
m&p9 pro series review
reviews on the mp 9 pro series
s&w 9mm pro review
s&w m&p 9mm pro review
smith and wesson competition 9mm
smith and wesson m&p pro 9mm review
smith and wesson m&p pro review
springfield xdm 5.25 9mm

xdm 5.25 9mm review

xdm 5.25 vs m p pro
Click on a term to search for related topics.