• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

HD Shotgun with or without a shell chambered?

This is a discussion on HD Shotgun with or without a shell chambered? within the The Polling Place forums, part of the Use and Training category; I keep my Winchester 1200 within reach of my bed for intruder protection. I have been debating keeping one in the pipe. Just racking that ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Use and Training » The Polling Place » HD Shotgun with or without a shell chambered?

View Poll Results: HD Shotgun with or without a shell chambered?
Yes, I keep one in the pipe ready to go! 11 14.29%
No, I want the other guy to wet his pants when he hears my shotty rack! 56 72.73%
I have kids my guns are in the safe. 1 1.30%
I need to buy a shotgun! 9 11.69%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-03-2009, 06:33 PM   #1
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 24239
HD Shotgun with or without a shell chambered?

I keep my Winchester 1200 within reach of my bed for intruder protection. I have been debating keeping one in the pipe. Just racking that beast will make any man armed or not seriously consider running the other direction. On the other hand I want it ready to go ASAP! So how would you keep your shotty?

"The dirty little secret about freedom is, you're on your own." - Clarence Thomas

"Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle

"My friends we live in the greatest nation in the history world. I hope you will join with me as we try to change it." - Barack Hussein Obama
tallmanis67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-03-2009, 06:36 PM   #2
XDTalk Member

Member #: 41251
i keep my Mossberg 500 with a full tube and a clear chamber, specifically for the reason that the sound of a shotgun being chambered is unmistakable. both my pistols are within arm's reach and they're both chambered though...
vasubguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 06:47 PM   #3
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 14970
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasubguy View Post
i keep my Mossberg 500 with a full tube and a clear chamber, specifically for the reason that the sound of a shotgun being chambered is unmistakable. both my pistols are within arm's reach and they're both chambered though...
Same
GFunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 06:50 PM   #4
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 25948
Voted for full mag, clear chamber, but not for the racking sound. The shotgun is my wife's go-to gun for HD, and this is the condition she prefers.
Savage 99 EG .300 Savage
Mossberg 500A 12 ga
Egyptian Maadi MISR S/A

"At long last I have discovered that most shooters are not interested in firearms as tools, but rather as toys. Such people do not acquire their weapons because of what they will do, but rather to gratify the "Christmas morning joy" that we largely left behind in our childhood.
"

-Jeff Cooper

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
rickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 06:52 PM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 11791
cruiser ready: tube loaded, chamber empty, safety on, trigger has been pulled so it will cycle.
that left handed guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 06:56 PM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 36938
What if the BG is prepared for NOT going to prison when he comes through the bedroom door and uses the sound of a groggy, half-asleep and supine homeowner racking a shell as a homing signal for the Saturday night special that he brought along to rob him with?

I dunno, one in the pipe makes it a better weapon than just a empty club...
IADC43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:10 PM   #7
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 25708
I asked this question before and it was the general consensus that shotguns have NOT been proven to be safe should they be dropped or knocked over. This means there's a higher probability of your shotgun going off if it's knocked over in a closet than your xd going off. I don't believe shotguns have any internal safety between the firing pin and the trigger. This can make leaving one loaded incredibly dangerous. Especially when you're adrenaline is rushing when you have an intruder in the house.

And it's pretty cool racking one in the pipe. If that's all it takes to get someone to leave, I would rather do that than have to shoot someone.
“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom... The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else... You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.”
--Dr. Adrian Rogers
"The first five days after the weekend are always the hardest."
-- My wife
Wired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:19 PM   #8
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 24239
Quote:
Originally Posted by that left handed guy View Post
cruiser ready: tube loaded, chamber empty, safety on, trigger has been pulled so it will cycle.
Thats a good Idea... I'm going to get my dummy rounds out and try that!

"The dirty little secret about freedom is, you're on your own." - Clarence Thomas

"Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle

"My friends we live in the greatest nation in the history world. I hope you will join with me as we try to change it." - Barack Hussein Obama
tallmanis67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:41 PM   #9
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 11791
You wont need a dummy round to make it cruiser ready. Our department procedure is to unload the tube, rack it several times and visually and physically inspect to ensure the weapon is empty, close action, safety off, pull trigger, safety back on, load tube. We do this every shift and then put it in the electronic rack. Makes sense to me to keep it in the same condition at home too.
that left handed guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:59 PM   #10
XDTalk Member

Member #: 23402
I voted for "No", but not because of the racking sound--my wife is most comfortable with the tube empty.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Use and Training » The Polling Place

Search tags for this page

cruiser ready shotgun

cruiser ready shotguns

hot standby shotgun

hot to make a shothun to hot standby mode

how to put m4 in hot standby

is it ok to leave a round chambered in a pump shotgun
is it ok to rack a shotgun with no shell in chamber

keep hd shotgun loaded

keep shotgun chambered

making a shotgun rack ready

rack ready shotgun

rackready shotgun

shotgun cruiser ready

shotgun hot standby

shotgun rack ready
what is hot standby shotgun
Click on a term to search for related topics.