• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

9mm bullet choice for SD Poll

This is a discussion on 9mm bullet choice for SD Poll within the The Polling Place forums, part of the Use and Training category; Originally Posted by agalindo 115gr are too light and will underpenetrate. According? I carry HiShock 115gr +p+...

View Poll Results: What is your 9mm Bullet Weight of choice for Self Defense
115gr 15 14.71%
124gr 55 53.92%
147gr 32 31.37%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-29-2009, 12:33 AM   #11
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 34260
Quote:
Originally Posted by agalindo View Post
115gr are too light and will underpenetrate.
According?

I carry HiShock 115gr +p+
LancerV is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-29-2009, 12:37 AM   #12
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 3721
Have you chronoed the doubletap rounds. Double has been known to published ammo vels that are quite a bit more than what you'll actually get. Also remeber that the gold dots they load are desinged to expand within a given velocity window and if pushed beyond that window you get the bullet over expanding and the petals curling back too much thus making the expanded diamter smaller. Velocity and foot pounds mean nothing, what's important is expanion and penetration that's what wounds. The larger the bullet expands and more it penetrates the more tissue damage and bleeding thus the sooner the theat stops.
Quote:
Battlestar Galactica Book Of Pythia
"All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again."
Quote:
People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. River Tam Serenity
agalindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:41 AM   #13
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 35796
Quote:
Have you chronoed the doubletap rounds. Double has been known to published ammo vels that are quite a bit more than what you'll actually get. Also remeber that the gold dots they load are desinged to expand within a given velocity window and if pushed beyond that window you get the bullet over expanding and the petals curling back too much thus making the expanded diamter smaller. Velocity and foot pounds mean nothing, what's important is expanion and penetration that's what wounds. The larger the bullet expands and more it penetrates the more tissue damage and bleeding thus the sooner the theat stops.
You bring a valid point to the discussion. I wonder if the claimed higher velocities of the doubletap ammo would cause over expansion? I've read the reviews and people that have tested the rounds seem to be pleased...whatever that's worth...
AaronXDM9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:41 AM   #14
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 14485
my XD9 svc keeps both 147gr Federal and 124gr +p+ in it---I'd recommend the +p+ in a SC because it'll propel the round faster out of the shorter barrel. in a 4" gun, 147gr will get enough velocity. just lately though, haven't been able to find 147gr, so I've switched to the 124gr +p+.

Why I own a Grendel: "You don't shoot 6.5 bullets. You toss them in the air, they go downrange on their own."
XD9OD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:42 AM   #15
XDTalk 15K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerV View Post
According?

I carry HiShock 115gr +p+
Ask any good ballistics expert, or read any research done and they all say the same 115gr are too light and will under penetrate. They are not a good choice for SD. Doesn't matter that they are +p+.
Quote:
Quote:
People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. River Tam Serenity
Old 03-29-2009, 12:45 AM   #16
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 34260
Quote:
Ask any good ballistics expert, or read any research done and they all say the same 115gr are too light and will under penetrate. They are not a good choice for SD. Doesn't matter that they are +p+.
Considering they are standard issue for alot of Federal agency and still are? I think they have done there testing on it
LancerV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:50 AM   #17
XDTalk 15K Member

Check this link out it has a test of DoublTap ammo done by Dr. Gary Roberts, on the nations leading terminal ballistics experts.

Test: Double Tap 155 gr Gold Dot vs. Speer 165 gr Gold Dot - M4Carbine.net Forums
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-29-2009, 01:03 AM   #18
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 35796
Quote:
Check this link out it has a test of DoublTap ammo done by Dr. Gary Roberts, on the nations leading terminal ballistics experts.

Test: Double Tap 155 gr Gold Dot vs. Speer 165 gr Gold Dot - M4Carbine.net Forums
Thank you for that link! Lot's of good information! Anyone know if the HST's are available in stores like Bass Pro or will I have to order them online?
AaronXDM9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 01:10 AM   #19
XDTalk 15K Member

Not sure which agencies are still using 115gr but FBI doesn't. Check the terminal ballistics area at m4 carbine, several LEO, and IWBA members post there, none of them recommend the 115gr.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-29-2009, 12:11 PM   #20
XDTalk Member

Member #: 31413
Smile Check "wet newspaper" response...

This may help...Good info with pictures....Keith

Shooting Wet Newspapers ... Again
KCub is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Use and Training » The Polling Place

9mm, ammo, bullet weight, hollow point, self defense

Search tags for this page
ballistics
doctor gary roberts ballistics
doctor roberts double tap 9mm ammo
double tap =p 9mm
dr gary roberts

dr gary roberts ballistics

dr gary roberts ballistics 9mm

dr. gary roberts ballistics

dr. gary roberts ballistics 9mm

hornady 9mm critical defense ballistics chart
hornady 9mm luger 115 gr ftx review
hornady critical defense 9mm ballistics
hornady critical defense ftx 9mm review
poll 9mm (self defense or home defense ) (round or ammo or ammunition)

sd 9mm review

sd9 ve review
Click on a term to search for related topics.