• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Which will be the best choice

This is a discussion on Which will be the best choice within the Other Long Gun Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; Currently I have been looking at three different rifles, Ruger 10-22 take down, Henry Golden Boy 22 level action, and the AR15 22 made by ...

Old 10-07-2012, 09:58 PM   #1
XDTalk Member

Member #: 78514
Which will be the best choice

Currently I have been looking at three different rifles, Ruger 10-22 take down, Henry Golden Boy 22 level action, and the AR15 22 made by Mossberg and S&W. Everything that I have read tells me that all three seen to be great and fun guns to have, but I will like to know if anyone in this forum have actually fire or owned this trio. And if anyone did, which one will be the best for the price. I would really appreciate any response. Thanks
Old 10-07-2012, 10:12 PM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 78082
I know nothing about the Henry, but, the 10/22 takedown is a nice gun, don't own one, but, it's still a 10/22 and they are very reliable. I have the mossberg that you are asking about, and it has it's pros and cons. It's fun to shoot, light weight, can be pretty accurate with the right ammo, I used to shoot the federal bulk stuff, and it would shoot 6" varying patterns. It likes cci stinger ammo, it'll shoot that stuff within bout 1/2" groups or less. It's a higher velocity ammo, and I think that's what the gun likes. The 25rnd mag is nice, but hard to find extras. Mainly you have to get them from mossberg. I use a scope on mine, and I do small game hunt with it, it has a bi pod attached and a fore grip. When you want to clean it any further than just cleaning the barrel, you have to take apart the plastic AR looking shell, which means you have to remove any accessories first, the scope, bi pod, fore grip, they all have to come off. That means sighting in the scope more often. Basically, it's just a neat toy, IMO. Would I buy it again, no. If I wanted an AR style .22, I'd get the S&W mp 15-22. That mossberg is just a $100 702 plinkster, cased in an AR style plastic body, and sold for $150 more. I can say, that it does have a really nice trigger pull and is fun to shoot. Just very impractical.

NRA member.
Poneill.45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:01 AM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 69973
Those are three really different guns you're looking at. I own a 10/22 (not the takedown model, actually a bull-barrel target rifle) and the Henry. I have shot a couple of .22 ARs, and in my opinion they're not as much fun as a real AR (except for the full auto version I shot while visiting FL - that was FUN). The Henry is a joy to shoot, extremely accurate, and great looking. As a pinker I don't think it can be beat. The only negative is its slow and awkward to load, but so much fun to shoot you don't mind. The 10/22 is probably one of the most popular guns in the U.S., and for good reason.

Realistically, these weapons are different enough that I could come up with a very good argument for owning all three, so don't think of it as which will you buy, but rather which will you buy first. If you like the nostalgia of the lever action, get the Henry. If you want a good plunked you can just go out and shoot a lot, get the Ruger. Either way, save your money until you can get a real AR rather than spend it on a .22 version.
scotty8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:42 AM   #4
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 73210
I have shoot both the golden boy and the s&w .22. Like you said both are fun too shoot. I grew up on a Henry golden boy and its a reliable platform, as are most lever guns in my experience. They are pretty darn accurate as well. The few times I did shoot s&w it pretty well. The first time we had a few issue such as failure to cycle, but I think it was a lack of knowledge with the AR platform. It's a straight shooter as well. If I was in the market for another .22 I would pick the Henry.

Sent from my electronic trigger device using Tapatalk

M&P .40
Remington 597 .22 w/3-9x24 scope
wyodeseertrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:02 AM   #5
XDTalk Member

Member #: 78514
That is great feedback, the last 22 I had was a marlin with the tube magazine, it was OK but not great. Now the Ruger 10-22 take down seems like the best bet, so far every review I have read gives this gun high marks for been very accurate and reliable right out of the box, and it seems that there is lots of accessories for it. So I guess the Ruger will be first and then the Henry which also got great reviews and yeah, the nostalgic look is great. Thanks
Old 10-08-2012, 03:58 AM   #6
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 63850
I would actully opt for a different henry .22

http://henryrepeating.com/rifle-lever-action.cfm

This one can shoot .22Long, .22LR and .22short and quite a few places have it selling for $262 right now

XD-45 5"
DPMS Panther Carbine A2
Arisaka Type 99
91/30 Mosin Nagant Sniper
Rob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:17 AM   #7
XDTalk 25K Member

Member #: 4785
I own a Ruger 10-22 and a S&W M&P15-22 and have shot them both heavily over the years. Both are very good 22 rifles but priced differently. If you cannot swing the M&P, the 10-22 with a 25rd mag will get you by and be a very good rifle that you can customize to do whatever you want.

Our 10-22 was customized for my 13 year old daughter with a hot pink Hogue stock and a Primary Arms Micro Red Dot. She loves it and has thousands of rounds through the thing and it give us little trouble.

I regularly plink with the M&P and it is probably one of my most-used 22s since we bought it 1.5 years ago. It also wears a Primary Arms Micro Red Dot and has been an accurate and reliable rifle.

Don't know anything about the Mossberg. I wanted a 22 AR that was as close to a 5.56mm AR as possible and the S&W fits the bill.

My dad has a Henry Golden Boy in 17HMR and it is a very nice rifle. Very well made and very accurate. I'd love to have one some day.

That said...it really depends on what you want to do with the rifle...but a 10-22, M&P15-22 or Golden Boy are all GTG if you ask me.

-brickboy240

Es mejor morir a pie que vivir arrodillad
Brickboy240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:39 AM   #8
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 66064
Own two regular 10/22's & a M&P 15-22. All have proven to be great reliable fun to shoot rifles. Don't own a Henry yet but it's on the list, probably a 22WMR.

The Mossberg AR I handle at the LGS felt cheap & seemed very loose where the frt handguard was mounted. It had alot of slack & rattled. Me, I'd steer clear of the Mossberg myself.

I think everyone should own a 10/22, so that would be my first pick then the 15-22 followed by the Henry.

Good luck!
richeyo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:14 PM   #9
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 34520
the best thing about a 10-22 is that you can customize it easily. You lose much of that with the take-down version.
a good folding stock would only be a few inches longer than a take-down, taken down.

I'd go with a lever action. Still pretty rapid fire, I like tube mags (big capacity with out a big mag hanging down), and you can fire a variety of shots (including the quiet ones) without worrieng about cycling.
Groo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:28 PM   #10
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 31392
I havent shot the take down model but the 10-22 is a great gun. With that said the Henry lever action is a blast to shoot and by far the most accurate out the box gun I have ever shot.
LTSRAPCON is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » Other Long Gun Talk

Search tags for this page

best ammo for mossberg 715t

best ammo for ruger 10/22 takedown
best scope for mossberg 715t
coolest 715t
henry golden boy vs mp 15-22
henry golden boy vs ruger
m&p 15-22 vs 715t
mossberg 702 plinkster vs smith & wesson m&p 15 22

mossberg 715t recommended ammo

mossberg 715t vs m&p 15-22
mossberg 715t vs ruger 10/22 vs mp 15/22
mossberg 715t vs s&w m&p 15-22

mossberg 715t vs smith and wesson

s&w m&p 15-22 vs mossberg 715t
whats the best ammo for a mossberg 715t
Click on a term to search for related topics.