• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Kel-Tec and Hi-Point carbines?

This is a discussion on Kel-Tec and Hi-Point carbines? within the Other Long Gun Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; I'm looking at these two right now and am interested in opinons and experiences. I'm leaning towards a .40 cal version, and favor the Sub2000 ...

Old 09-06-2011, 07:19 PM   #1
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 60514
Kel-Tec and Hi-Point carbines?

I'm looking at these two right now and am interested in opinons and experiences. I'm leaning towards a .40 cal version, and favor the Sub2000 over the 4095 because it can fold.

How much more effective in range and damage is a 9mm or .40 cal fired from a carbine compared to a Springfield XD?
711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-06-2011, 08:23 PM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 32516
I've seen quite a few of these and they're both fun little carbines.

Although I haven't tested with the .40 cal, I was surprised when I ran some 9mm ammo through a carbine because the velocity didn't increase like I had expected. My guess is that the pistol powder burns so much faster than rifle powder that it doesn't have enough energy to continue pushing the bullet through the barrel - and you pass a point where the rifling is actually slowing the bullet down.

Does that make sense?

Anyway, since there isn't much (if any) velocity boost - the effective range of the round isn't really increased either.

What you get with the carbine is controllable accuracy. What I mean by that is you can hold the carbine and shoot more accurately vs a pistol - even if the round itself isn't inherently more accurate. Most people max out with a pistol between 15-25 yards; but, with a rifle could reach out multiple times that distance just because of the enhanced stability.

Hopefully this makes sense. Also, I want to be clear that I'm basing this off of my own observations with a chrono - but that doesn't mean it's fact. It's also possible, if you reload, that you could use a slower burning powder and change these results significantly.
myrdraal0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:55 PM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 61596
^ I think you're right on the money with your assesment. I just bought the Hi Point 9mm and am MUCH more accurate at a longer distance and velocity difference was unnoticed compared to my XD9. Here's my son this past weekend havin some fun

XD9 4" Service Model
SIG 522LR
Mossberg Mav88 12 guage
Hi Point 9mm Carbine
Stoeger X-10
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
Shepp3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:19 PM   #4
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 48119
First, this is what i've been told and there is some "internet" info out therethat supports it.

You may get up to a 10% increase in velocity with a 9mm carbine, so a fmj rated at 1050fps would than be traveling at around 1155fps . Which would give you a higher velocity over the first 25 to 50yds, then at 100yds it would drop back to pistol velocities.

I own 995 and tomethereal gain isin accuracy out to 100/150 yds. Mine is sighted in at 60 yds. You' ll enjoy either carbine IMHO. Have fun!

We defend our President with guns We defend our Congressmen with guns We defend our Governors with guns We defend banks with guns We defend our courts with guns,We defend our children with a sign that says THIS IS A GUN FREE ZONE and then call someone with a gun if there's an emergency!
stuz92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:05 PM   #5
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 60514
I was also thinking about the Ruger SR40, but I already have an XD and think a carbine would be cool to have. The increased accuracy vs a handgun makes me favor a carbine more. I also like that Sub 2000 can take Glock mags and fold up to conceal. Does it do any added damage vs a handgun?
711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:30 PM   #6
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 54278
I was looking into both of these carbines today for a shtf truck gun. I have a shot a few of the Hi point carbines. They are reliable but hell to clean if you ask me.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:36 AM   #7
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 126
I believe a Kel Tec sub 2000 that has a S&W grip is set up for 59 series mags. If that is the case, at least in 9mm, the XD mag should work in it. We used to use 59 series mags and Beretta 92/Taurus 99 mags in our HS2000s before factory hi-caps were available.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
zipgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:43 AM   #8
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 34520
10% is about the minimum, some stuff gets much more out of a long barrel
BBTI - 40 S&W

I have a scoped 995. It is very accurate at 100 yards. I had no problem putting the bullets in the specific part of the cheap medium sized frying pan I was using for a target, and no problem hitting it repeatedly when it turned sideways either. I think the 40 would be a much better carbine round than the 9mm because it uses higher pressures and comes in heavier bullet weights, but the price was right on the 9mm.

My Hi-Point is much more accurate than the sights of the Kel-Tech would allow (I never shot the Kel-Tech S2K, but do own a Kel-Tech SU16a with about the same sights). If you want a plinking/action shooting type toy or a home defense gun, get the Kel-Tech. If there is any chance at all you might ever take it hunting or you are more interested in longer range shooting, get the Hi-Point.
Groo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:09 AM   #9
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 53611
How would either of these carbines work for a lefty? I haven't seen one in person yet but they look like the ejection port would be pretty dang close to my face.
SK13R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:12 AM   #10
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 53076
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13R View Post
How would either of these carbines work for a lefty? I haven't seen one in person yet but they look like the ejection port would be pretty dang close to my face.
I shoot a kel Tec sub2k lefty with no issues
Jennings J-22
Marlin 30AS
Ruger Hawkeye 300WM South Paw
Remington 700 VTR .223
Mauser K98
Arisaka 99 7.7JAP
Bushmaster AR15
Remington 870 Express
Remington 870 Tactical
kdbrainard86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » Other Long Gun Talk

Search tags for this page
effective range hi point 40 carbine
hi point 40 cal carbine review

hi point 40 carbine review

hi point 40 s&w carbine review
hi point 4095 accuracy
hi point carbine review 40
hi tec 9mm carbine
hi tec carbine review
hi tech 9mm carbine
hi tech carbine
kel tec 45 carbine

kel tec sub 2000 vs hi point 4095

Click on a term to search for related topics.