• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Ruger 10/22 questions

This is a discussion on Ruger 10/22 questions within the Other Long Gun Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; I have been looking at a .22 rifle to pick up and after looking at two main manufacturers, savage mark II BLVSS and ruger 10 ...

Old 03-18-2011, 11:47 PM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 55168
Ruger 10/22 questions

I have been looking at a .22 rifle to pick up and after looking at two main manufacturers, savage mark II BLVSS and ruger 10 / 22, I have decided on the ruger just out of personal preferance cause it is semi-auto compared to the bolt action which I would perfer on a larger calibor rifle, with that being sayed. I have not shot a ruger 10 / 22 yet but indend to they got 1 at the indoor range just to see how it it before I buy it.

1. I am unaware of the different models, I am talking about barrel diferences, is the target model, with the bull barrel, worth the extra money?

2. Also if I wanted change out the factory stock with; lets say a Boyd's blaster stock (thumb whole stock), how can I compensate for this stock since it is manufactured for a .920 bull barrel, if I have oem barrel?

3. And what is the consensices of bedding the action and barrel to the stock? Is it worth it? Not looking to shoot competition (yet) with it just have fun and accuracy.

4. Having read many forums on the subject what is the thought of replacing the oem trigger to an aftermarket one?
purple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-18-2011, 11:56 PM   #2
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 55554
10/22 is probably the MOST customizable .22 rifle out there, endless amounts of parts, drop in trigger kits, stocks, and magazines. If your gonna put a bull barrel just make sure the stock is made for one, they sell two different sizes. I won mine in a raffle at a gun show and LOVE it, its a great gun you wont regret it.
XD-45 Tactical Model W/ Springer trigger kit
Ruger Mark II Target Pistol
Ruger 10/22
Mossberg .22 Tactical Plinker
Ithica 37 12ga pump action
DPMS M4 W/ Larue Rail & Eotech

WWZ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
C00lHandLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:09 AM   #3
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 22439
The bull barrel will weigh allot more that the regular barrel, if ur going to be just plinking I would recommend the stock barrel and for target shooting the bull barrel I have both and love them both but carrying the bull barrel in the woods all day get's a little tiring
juan916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 01:15 AM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 54976
You get a ton of options with the 10/22, if your going for distance You should get the bull barrel no sights, If you are just messing around stay stock. Staying stock will save you lugging a heavier gun around and save money. Check a bunch of other MFG's for stocks.

I should pull my 10/22 out of the safe and play around a little next week.
imwright1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 02:00 AM   #5
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 53827
Quote:
Originally Posted by purple man View Post
I have been looking at a .22 rifle to pick up and after looking at two main manufacturers, savage mark II BLVSS and ruger 10 / 22, I have decided on the ruger just out of personal preferance cause it is semi-auto compared to the bolt action which I would perfer on a larger calibor rifle, with that being sayed. I have not shot a ruger 10 / 22 yet but indend to they got 1 at the indoor range just to see how it it before I buy it.

1. I am unaware of the different models, I am talking about barrel diferences, is the target model, with the bull barrel, worth the extra money?

2. Also if I wanted change out the factory stock with; lets say a Boyd's blaster stock (thumb whole stock), how can I compensate for this stock since it is manufactured for a .920 bull barrel, if I have oem barrel?

3. And what is the consensices of bedding the action and barrel to the stock? Is it worth it? Not looking to shoot competition (yet) with it just have fun and accuracy.

4. Having read many forums on the subject what is the thought of replacing the oem trigger to an aftermarket one?

A lot of these questions are subject to opinion...

1. The bull barrel is thicker and this reduces (absorbs)the vibrations in the metal as the bullet travels through the bore, this can help with accuracy... keep in mind that a .22 lr has a limited range however and MOA becomes less of an issue.

2. The carbine (smaller diameter) barrel will fit with no problems in a Boyds Blaster stock... heres proof since I have a carbine with this stock...

3. Bedding the barrel is similar to the concept of having a thicker barrel in that it should also "float" the barrel itself off of the stock, so it will not be in contact with the barrel channel in the stock. This reduces vibrations from the barrel contacting the wood while the bullet is traveling through the bore and allows the barrel to be more 'harmonic'... again keep in mind the limited range as to whether its worth it.

4.I personally wouldnt waste my money on aftermarket trigger assemblies, I stoned and polished my trigger group myself, but you can also have a gunsmith do it for you instead of paying big $$ for an aftermarket kit that may still require fitting by a gunsmith anyway.

(An interesting note on using the Boyds Blaster stock with the smaller carbine barrel is that it is 100% floated without any modifications to the stock)
Clinton1621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 04:31 AM   #6
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 4212
I would suggest you go the route I did. I purchased a basic 10/22, got home, and decided I couldn't leave it alone.

Then I won a Gunbroker auction for a Tactical Solutions X-Ring bull threaded and fluted bull barrel. This barrel is ridiculously nice. Its a bull barrel that is lighter than the stock barrel. And one day, when I have a .22 can, I will be able to easily use it.

I then ordered a stock to fit the new barrel. I ended up with a Hogue rubber over molded stock in green. Its not the greatest stock, but its a pretty good stock and it matches the look I was aiming for for my 10/22.

The same day I ordered my stock from Midway USA, I also ordered a Tac Sol muzzle compensator to screw onto my Tac Sol threaded barrel. I don't think it does sh!t, but it sure as he!! looks good!

The same day I did that stuff, I also went on Gunbroker, and won an auction for a Tac Sol scope rail. It really doesn't serve any different purpose than the Ruger scope rail does. But it looks tacti-cool!

And to tie it all together, I ended up at Walmart where I bought a Tasco 3-9x40 scope and some Weaver medium rings. It is more than adequate for this rifle and is working great.

And just as a little finishing touch, I ordered a Tactical Innovations nylon 10/22 buffer and auto bolt release.

Now, I am not saying you should get everything I did, but I highly suggest the Tac Sol barrel. It is sooooooo damn light!!!!

Now all I need is a SilencerCo Sparrow!

"Honey, how 'bout I lock you up on charges of aggrevated dumb slut with no future?"
-Det. Ray Carling "Life on Mars"

"Criminals thrive on the indulgence of society's understanding."
03RangerXLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:36 AM   #7
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 40901
The 10/22 is one of those guns that every firearms enthusiast should own.

Its the first firearm I've ever owned.

Very customizeable.

Its addictive, the rifles are very accurate right out of the box. Modifications allow scopes, see through mount, enhanced magazine releases, stocks, barrels, triggers, etc...

Old 03-19-2011, 11:06 AM   #8
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 40901
one more thing - when it comes to triggers two names come to mind:

Volquartsen - great parts, great accuracy enhancing bits

Kidd - the best out there for 2 stage triggers for the 10/22.
Old 03-19-2011, 02:23 PM   #9
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 126
Buy the basic 10/22 and shoot it a lot before you do anything to it. As was stated, if you buy a Boyd's stock you don't have to do anything since they are made for a bull barrel it will automatically float your stock barrel.

In regard to triggers, many people simply replace the hammer with one from Volquertsen which is said to reduce trigger pull. I have 5 10/22s and I just use the stock trigger and hammer on them.

If you buy a new 10/22 it will come with an extended mag release which works fine. The older 1022s didn't come w/an extended one. If you buy used, you will want to replace it. Another standard mod is the auto bolt release. It is easy to do so don't pay someone to do it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
zipgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 02:33 PM   #10
SRD
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 13092
There is no better 22 rifle. Bull barrels arent all heavy my is a wistlepig barrel super light. There are also carbon fiber ones.

-------------------------------------------------
Since my list was to long last time ill only put my favorite pistols

HKP7
CZ82
Browning Hi power
FN Hi power
Sig p232
Sig p220 Elite SS
NAA 22PUG
XD45
G19
G29
Norinco Ak47
FN PS90 SBR
SRD is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » Other Long Gun Talk

Search tags for this page
10 22 forums
10-22 forum
10/22 forum
10/22 forums
10\22 forums
can i put thicker barrel on 22 rifle

ruger 10 22 forum

ruger 10 22 forums
ruger 10/22 boyds blaster
ruger 10/22 bull barrel kit

ruger 10/22 forum

ruger 10/22 forums
ruger 10/22 heavy barrel worth it
ruger 10/22 information
ruger 10/22 questions
ruger 1022 information
Click on a term to search for related topics.