• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Need Help With Mosin Nagant

This is a discussion on Need Help With Mosin Nagant within the Other Long Gun Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; I have a Chinese T53 that every once in awhile won't extract a spent round. This seems to happen most when the rifle really heats ...

Old 07-27-2010, 05:16 PM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 24070
Need Help With Mosin Nagant

I have a Chinese T53 that every once in awhile won't extract a spent round. This seems to happen most when the rifle really heats up and I don't pull the bolt back with enough "authority". It does have some serious sticky bolt that I'm fixing too, would that have any effect? Any advice?

XD40 Service model, Ruger LCP, 1942 S&W M&P Victory Model, Mossberg 500
buckaroobanzaiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-27-2010, 05:39 PM   #2
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 36612
I found with my 1929 Tula M-N that it needs a deliberate pull of the bolt in both directions, if I try to be lazy about it or easy then I have some sort of malfunction. Regardless of whatever it's past life is/was, I've only put about 20rds on it.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:18 PM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 41618
I have two Mosins, one of them has always worked beautifully (1944 M38 ), the other has always been a pain in the a$$ (1945 M44). I just pulled the two bolts out of them to compare and noticed that the extractor on my M44 is noticeably more worn (rounded edges) than that of my M38. The M38 has nice sharp edges to it. The tension on my M44 extractor also seems to be less than my M38, nothing scientific, just a finger test. I suppose an extractor that is worn enough could cause your problems, especially as it heats up. Maybe get ahold of another gun to compare it to... or just buy another one, they're cheap!
MichaelHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:25 PM   #4
XDTalk Member

Member #: 43119
Have you tried cleaning the chamber with a 20 gauge brass brush dipped in Hoppes or another solvent attached to a drill? Try it on low speed and really clean it up. It worked for me. Lots of good info on 7.62x54r.net.
Schoentown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:02 AM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 24070
I did the drill thing last night and hopefully that will get her done. I'm also hearing that because of difference in dimensions some MN's just don't like to eat certain types of ammo. Hopefully it just doesn't like steel cased Polish surplus.

XD40 Service model, Ruger LCP, 1942 S&W M&P Victory Model, Mossberg 500
buckaroobanzaiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:53 PM   #6
XDTalk 25K Member

Member #: 4785
My Type 53 does the same thing...but its a ratty condition rifle and I don't expect perfect operation.

That said, you just don't get that problem with a 98 Mauser - that big claw extractor means the bolt cycles with authority...all the time. The 98 Mauser is a MUCH smoother feeder than any Mosin.

- brickboy240

Es mejor morir a pie que vivir arrodillad
Brickboy240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:34 PM   #7
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 11567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoentown View Post
Have you tried cleaning the chamber with a 20 gauge brass brush dipped in Hoppes or another solvent attached to a drill? Try it on low speed and really clean it up. It worked for me. Lots of good info on 7.62x54r.net.
This. Mosin sticky-bolt is most often a combination of residual cosmoline and melted case lacquer forming a close, personal relationship when subjected to a hot chamber and a little bit of expansion after firing. A good cleaning with a power-tool assist will usually clear up the problem.

I had a 91/30 that choked on Czech silver-tip (lacquered), but would cycle Bulgarian brass-cased with no hang-ups at all. Also as suggested, it never hurts to try different ammo. Copper-washed Russian has a pretty good reputation for good cycling.
Fifty million new Americans have died in abortions since 1973. Where were their rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness? Why do we turn a blind eye toward--or worse, cheer on--a holocaust within our own land? Please, choose life for your baby.

"I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." --Jesus, John 14:6 (ESV)

Proud member of the AKM operator's club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
DanTheEldest is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » Other Long Gun Talk

Search tags for this page
chinese 53 wont chamber round
chinese mosin t53 sticky bolt?
chinese t53
chinese t53 sticky bolt
mosin cant extract
mosin case wont extract
mosin nagant feeder image
mosin nagant problems with marlin 1895gs chambering rounds
mosin nagant t53 extractor won't extract

mosin nagant won't extract

mosin nagant won't extract spent round
mosin nagant wont cycle rounds
mosin nagant wont extract
mosin nagant wont extract all rounds
mosin nasant extracts but wont eject
mossin will only take one round and doesn't extract it
Click on a term to search for related topics.