• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Ruger/Colt/S&W/REM .22 AR-styles?

This is a discussion on Ruger/Colt/S&W/REM .22 AR-styles? within the Other Long Gun Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; anyone have one that can give me some insight? I'm looking at all the different .22 tactical styles since the LGS just got in all ...

Old 02-10-2010, 04:51 PM   #1
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 21433
Ruger/Colt/S&W/REM .22 AR-styles?

anyone have one that can give me some insight?

I'm looking at all the different .22 tactical styles since the LGS just got in all the big ones, the M&P 15-22, the Colt Umarex 22, the remington 597 VTR (Which i was told is jam-tastic), and the Ruger SR-22, all of which are priced about the same in the $500 range.

I thought of buying just a plain 10/22, but i don't really want to deal with customizing too much.

any preferences or info? i read the multi-page thread on the M&P 15-22, but when i handled it, it felt kinda plasticky.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
afmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-10-2010, 05:02 PM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 43116
I like the colt buy went for the S&W becuse it was cheaper i pick 1 up for $425 for the kids to learn on they love it besides the issues i had with mine misfiring S&W as outstanding to work it...My 5 year old son had a blast shooting a military style rifle with out the kick...A++++++ in my book
Localone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:43 PM   #3
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 28226
I bought a Sig 522 recently (got a killer deal at $369), and I've been very happy with it.

But yes, it's VERY "plasticky" . . . but I think that might be a good thing, because it keeps the gun very light. And because it's light, you can still feel a little bit of recoil, so that makes it more fun.

With my heavier AR-15 (with metal rails, scope, magnifier, VFG, etc.) and the .22 conversion, it actually feels kind of boring to shoot because there's no recoil.
Mad Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:05 AM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 12426
The Colt's are junk. Lots of folks like the S&W...the one thing about Colt and S&W is that their mags are proprietary....not to mention the Colt mags are really long.

The Ruger is suppose to be the most accurate out of the three you asked about.

If I were you, I'd get a dedicated 22 upper for an AR15, if you own an AR15. They use BDM mags which is the standard for 22 conversions/dedicated uppers.

Since there are plenty of folks that like the S&W, I went to look at it and it felt cheap. It may look sorta like an AR, but it felt like cheap crap to me.

I ended up getting an M4 upper from Tac Sol and I couldn't be happier. It wasn't cheap, but I like it a lot.
aubie515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:37 AM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 38572
I've been looking around like at these lately too - and will be watching this to see what others think.

I'm kinda leaning toward the Sig 522, but haven't shot any of them.
InfernoAudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:00 AM   #6
XDTalk 10K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
The Colt's are junk. Lots of folks like the S&W...the one thing about Colt and S&W is that their mags are proprietary....not to mention the Colt mags are really long.

The Ruger is suppose to be the most accurate out of the three you asked about.

If I were you, I'd get a dedicated 22 upper for an AR15, if you own an AR15. They use BDM mags which is the standard for 22 conversions/dedicated uppers.

Since there are plenty of folks that like the S&W, I went to look at it and it felt cheap. It may look sorta like an AR, but it felt like cheap crap to me.

I ended up getting an M4 upper from Tac Sol and I couldn't be happier. It wasn't cheap, but I like it a lot.
I handled the S&W as well, and that was my impression too. The polymer lower and upper made it feel plasticky, Like my Ruger 22/45 with the bull barrel had more heft to it.

The problem with a .22 AR upper is that I live in CA. I'd have to find an off list lower, then find someone to transfer it (a lot of FFL's here still won't transfer legal Off List Lowers) then, when it was in .22lr configuration, its fine, but if i ever switched it to .223, i'd have to first install a mag lock. Too much hassle, and i'm not really looking for a center-fire rifle anyway.

Thanks for the input so far!

Old 02-13-2010, 01:43 PM   #7
XDTalk 25K Member

Member #: 4785
Since you're in CA, I'd just stick to a 10-22. You can only have 10 rounds anyway...the 10-22 is alot less troublesome than any of the 22 ARs.

Want a higher capacity 22 at half the price of the 10rd AR 22s?

Can you legally own a 22 lever action that holds more than 10 rounds? If so, the Henry can be had for about 250 bucks and it holds 15-16 rounds, is fairly accurate, does not have feed jams or external magazines to fool with and give you more than the "neutered" ARs as far as firepower goes. Since YOU feed the Henry, it will not be ammo sensitive and it can shoot all the cheap ammo unlike the 22 ARs.

That would be my route if I lived where I could not have more than 10 rounds in a detachable mag 22 rifle.

- brickboy240

Es mejor morir a pie que vivir arrodillad
Brickboy240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:57 PM   #8
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 18902
My Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 review......

arizona98tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:45 PM   #9
XDTalk 10K Member

Thanks for all the input guys...i just got back from the LGS and bought the Ruger SR22

I'm now browsing around and am going to buy 4 rails and a foregrip for it and will call it good for now since i already have an optic for it.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:17 PM   #10
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 12426
I think you did well with the Ruger. If you ever move out of that sorry state you currently reside in...you can get hi cap mags. My friend moved out of CA a few years ago and he's like a kid in a candy store now that he's living in PA.
aubie515 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » Other Long Gun Talk

Search tags for this page
ar 22 reviews
colt ar 22 review
colt ar22 vs sig 522
colt m5 .22
remingtion ar 22 review
ruger .22 ar- style rifle vs s&w
ruger ar 22

ruger ar 22 review

ruger sr 22 vs. colt ar 22
s &w m522
s&w mp 15 .22
s&w mp15-22 vs colt vs ruger
smith and wesson ar 22 vs colt ar 22 or ruger
smith and wesson m&p 15-22
sw ar 22 review
vtr
Click on a term to search for related topics.