• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Help zeroing in scope.

This is a discussion on Help zeroing in scope. within the Optics and Glass forums, part of the Armory Talk category; parallax is the appearance that the cross hairs move on the target when you move you head back & forth slightly. if your scope has ...

Old 03-04-2013, 11:00 AM   #11
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 90127
parallax is the appearance that the cross hairs move on the target when you move you head back & forth slightly.
if your scope has an adjustment for parallax ,put the cross hairs on the target
and adj. it while moving your head slightly until the cross hairs stay on the target. this will have to be done whenever shooting at a different distance.
if there is no adj. the scope will be parallax free only at distance specified by
scope manufacturer. usually 100yds. for a. 223 scope.
start at 100yds. A lot of rifle scopes are not made to be free of parallax at such close range.
scopedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-04-2013, 11:01 AM   #12
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 24504
at a ~25 yard zero you're ~5.5" above zero at 100 yards and wont come back to zero for a long long time...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

"Gun-Free Zones" are shooting ranges for the criminally insane.

"Know this: Killin' is my business, Ladies, and business IS GOOOOOD!" -Major Payne
Knightslugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:49 PM   #13
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 84873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslugger View Post
at a ~25 yard zero you're ~5.5" above zero at 100 yards and wont come back to zero for a long long time...
Now that's why I can't hit the paper at 100 yards! I didn't think it would require any adjustment between 25 and 100 yards.

Thanks yall for all the good info! I know this trip wasn't going to anywhere near perfect as I was basically holding the rifle and didn't have it stationary... and my nerves are shot from doing dumb stuff in my younger years so I can't hold a steady hand.

The P-223 does not have a parallax adjustment. Its just specified as 100 yards (P-223 3-9x40 BDC 600 from Nikon ) So, does this mean that it is parallax free up to 100 yards? I'm still confused about it, but I'm a visual person. I'll get it eventually.. lol

Everything is good and tight and the rifle is solid. I'm using the Nikon P-series mounts. Heres a pic just for reference. its sits pretty low. Whats funny is I thought the FSB would be in the way, but you can't even see it.

I've seen the shot gun bags at Wally World, but they just seem a bit too small to use. I like the bean in a sock idea. For the fuzzy cross hairs, I've adjusted the eye piece a ton and I think its just my bad eyes that can't see both.

Thanks again yall.
CountryBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:55 AM   #14
XDTalk 20K Member

Member #: 75159
Bullet Drop Compensator scopes require a zero at the specified distance for the "BDC" to operate properly. In your case, the P-223 scope is set up with a BDC that is calibrated for the 55gr .223 round. The exact info is in your owners manual.

223 BDC scopes need a 100yd zero to work properly. I have the Leupold Mark AR scope on mine with a 100 yd zero. Once the elevation turret adjusted to reflect it, all I have to do is turn it to the number "2" and I'm set for 200yd shots. "3" for 300yds and so on. (I've shot mine out to 565 yards without a problem!)

The critical thing though is to make sure the scope is mounted properly...correct eye relief, cross hairs are erect, base and rings tight! Without these things, you're chasing your tail. Next you need to shoot from a bag or rest. You aren't going to get a good zero if the gun isn't stable and resting on a magazine is anything but! And don't forget, another source of assistance is the RSO at your range! Most of them know how to get a scope zeroed and will probably be willing to help you! Good Luck!

NRA Endowment Member, Florida Carry Member, FRA Member
KCCO

STITCS
RetiredFCC is online now   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » Optics and Glass

Search tags for this page
do i have to zero my p223 at 200 yards?
how tight should p 223 scope rings be
how to bore site my p223

how to zero nikon p 223

nikon p 223 parllax adjust
nikon p223 can't zero
nikon p223 cant adjust uo and down
nikon p223 numbers under the turret
nikon p223 scope turret will not go to zero
nikon p223 scope zeroing
nikon p223 turret hub meanings

nikon p223 zero 100

nikon scope zeroing the scope

the marks on my nikon scope

what is return to zeroing a scope
zeroing nikon p223 at 100 yards
Click on a term to search for related topics.