• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Laser alignment for home defense

This is a discussion on Laser alignment for home defense within the Optics and Glass forums, part of the Armory Talk category; I've added a laser/light combo to my HD pistol. The laser sits two and a half inches below the barrel. I can zero the laser ...

Old 03-30-2012, 07:18 AM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 69647
Laser alignment for home defense

I've added a laser/light combo to my HD pistol. The laser sits two and a half inches below the barrel. I can zero the laser for any distance I want, but of course I don't know ahead of time which is the correct distance. I worked out that if I zero at 15 feet, I'll shoot one inch high at 10 feet, one inch low at 20 feet. I can try to compensate if I can guess the distance, or if I've already measured all of the scenarios in my house.

What I'm inclined to do is to leave the laser aligned parallel to the barrel, so that I'm shooting 2.5 inches high all the time (drop will be less than a half inch at all distances possible within my house). Now the trick is to be able to reliably aim 2.5 inches low. Not too hard when aiming for center of mass, but for some shots, the laser spot may not even be on the target, and I'd have to switch to iron sights.

Comments? How have other people adjusted their lasers?
Scooter1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-30-2012, 11:12 AM   #2
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 41946
I sighted mine in across the house to have the dot sit on my front sight post. I figure my shot would be within an acceptable tolerance for my practical needs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
Breadman03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:16 AM   #3
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 67471
For HD, pick the farthest distance inside your home where you would be likely to shoot if needed. An inch or 2 shouldn't matter that much up close.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:50 PM   #4
XDTalk Supporter

Member #: 63842
I am in the process of alignment on my DX40. I use the initial target grouping (usually 3 inches) off the initial target used at the range. At the 7 yards distance in my case, I set the same target at my shop using the same target and distance and align the gun in a vise, using the center line of the initial grouping. Make lazer adjustments to correct for target center alignment.

Its not perfect, but its the best I can do. When I first tried this method, I had bad results, but I decided to adjust in smaller adjustments instead of target center immediately, and again gauge the difference when I get back to the range.
Arney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:58 PM   #5
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 39143
My laser is sighted at 5 yards. Anything under that the offset wont matter, over it It might hit an inch low (wont matter)
Old 03-30-2012, 05:15 PM   #6
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 26578
I guarantee under the adrenalin rush of an actual self defense encounter the last thing you'll be thinking about is adjusting your point of aim an inch or two high or low.....

I've got the LaserGuard on my LCP adjusted "dead" on at an across-the-room distance.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:20 AM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 70961
Statistically

I read somewhere, maybe on here, that 95% of shootings occur at 15' or less. In 70% of the cases sight alignment was not used, and lighting was poor. Instinct point and shoot was used. I am practising for those conditions. It is counter-intuitive, but I am considering leaving my laser factory setting for 50' to use for longer distances and poor lighting, and to rely on practised instinct skills for the most likely situation.
Another is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:13 AM   #8
Official Site Vendor

Member #: 14657
Quote:
Originally Posted by treehugger49 View Post
I guarantee under the adrenalin rush of an actual self defense encounter the last thing you'll be thinking about is adjusting your point of aim an inch or two high or low.....
Exactly..I would doubt that you would start thinking about anything else except staying alive..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

Gun-Works.com is wholly owned subsidiary of Tennessee Holster Company, LLC
-

-

-

-
(Gun Belts, Money Belts, embossed Belts)
-
Houseboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:59 AM   #9
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 69914
an inch up or down isn't going to matter unless you're aiming at the forehead or the toes. I'd be more worried left to right. Ask the guy we took to the ER this week. Only thing saving him was that the shooter pulled his shot and hit left of the trachea.Not a 100% but i believe he ended up having some lung tissue damage. Still effective even though he was probably aiming center mass.
KandK_Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:02 AM   #10
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 29276
If you are using a Crimson Trace type of laser on your carry gun are you going to use it only at home? I wouldn't. If and when I decide to get a laser sighting aid I will be sighting it in at 25 or 50 yards. That way I am close enough to point of aim when I am out in the open. In the house it won't make that much of a difference. Just my opinion, everyone needs to do what they think is right for them.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » Optics and Glass

laser

Search tags for this page
adjust laser to be parallel with barrel
at how many feet should i zero laser on a handgun

gun barrel laser alignment

how to align a laser sight

how to align laser underbarrel

how to zero a pistol laser

how to zero handgun laser

how to zero laser on hi-point

if my pistol laser sight is sighted for 50 feet will it be high at 20 feet

laser

light laser home defense

pistol laser alignment

what distance laser on self defense pistol

what range should you zero a pistol laser at
zeroing laser for home defense
Click on a term to search for related topics.