• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Which EOTECH?

This is a discussion on Which EOTECH? within the Optics and Glass forums, part of the Armory Talk category; I decided that I should go with an Eotech because I like the big "window" that they have and I feel the sight acquisition is ...

Old 03-06-2012, 07:36 PM   #1
XDTalk Member

Member #: 67873
Which EOTECH?

I decided that I should go with an Eotech because I like the big "window" that they have and I feel the sight acquisition is faster than an Aimpoint. I will be working in LE eventually so I didnt want to go with something less than an Eotech, Aimpoint or Acog. I dont think the ACOG would best suit my needs and they are way to expensive anyways. I feel the Eotech is the way to go. I will be using this mostly on a LMT MRP and I may be working in or near the ocean and/or the swamp. Also, I feel that I would preffer to have a sight that works off of AA batteries instead of the 123's because of availability ( I can get AA's at any pharmacy or gas station in my area. 123's not so much.) Also, in SHTF situations AA's will be everywhere, tv remotes, flash lights, radio, etc... So I should get one that can deal with getting wet and takes AA's...maybe with NV capabilites. Any advice? Someone with the same rifle as me at the range told me that the new Eotechs are having battery issues... IDK
gun_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-06-2012, 10:31 PM   #2
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 32876
my eotech 552 (has nvg compatibility and uses AA batteries) has been using the same batteries for several years now.
"I know the urge to arm yourself, because thatís what I did. I was trained in firearms. When I walked to the hospital when my husband was sick, I carried a concealed weapon. I made the determination that if somebody was going to try to take me out I was going to take them with me."

Diane Feinstein, 1995
Uriel999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:40 AM   #3
XDTalk Member

Member #: 68070
I run the exps2-2 and like it. I chose this one because it is smaller than anything in the 5xx line. Exps3-x is night vision compatible but I never plan to have that so I did not care

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-07-2012, 06:54 AM   #4
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 44899
XPS 2-0 here. Small footprint leaving more realestate on rails (if you have them) reduced weight over the something such as the 512 and from what I understand the 512 and it's AA feature had some issues with the connections coming loose thus causing the optic to fail. I was in your position a few weeks ago and asked a similar question over at ARF and they said that the XPS/ EXPS models are the "NEW and IMPROVED" thing to go with. The EXPS has the side buttons which are good if you plan on running a magnifier. I am pretty sure that the XPS/EXPS 3- models are NV capable.The CR123 batteries are pretty easy for me to find (have them at my local hardware store Lowe's, who would have thought!) Another thing that might be a big deciding factor for you is battery life 512's I think have somewhere around 1000 hrs where the XPS's have around 600 ..........Good Luck!
XD K7inne09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:49 AM   #5
XDTalk Member

Member #: 50507
I have the EXPS2-0, I really enjoy it. I've had it since last August I think, haven't had to change the battery once. Those CR123's will last years in a low-consumption device like an optic. I usually stock up when I'm down to about one or two changes of batteries left, as my Surefire flashlight also uses the same ones. Sure, they're more expensive, but I've been using Surefire for years, and battery interchangeability was important in my decision. I'll probably get a buttstock and VFG for my AR that have battery storage that will allow me to carry a couple spares with me, and I keep a couple in my work bag for the light, so I'm all set.

Here's my review of the EXPS2-0, if you care to read it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
06camarodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:57 PM   #6
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 28471
Another EXPS2-0 here. Great sight. Never thought I would have an EOTech but now wonder how I lived without one.

XDm .45 5.25 Competition
XD9sc w/ TFO's
XDM 40 DP fiber optics, PRP trigger
STI Spartan 9mm
2-STI Spartan .45;s
S&W M&P 9 Pro
Kahr CW9
2-Browning Buckmarks
S&W 686
ETexPops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:15 PM   #7
XDTalk Member

Member #: 50507
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETexPops View Post
Another EXPS2-0 here. Great sight. Never thought I would have an EOTech but now wonder how I lived without one.
Honestly, I heard a lot of negative comments about EOTech's quality and reliability, and I haven't seen any of those issues with the later generations of EOTech optics. I think the switch from a laterally mounted AA battery to the longitudinally mounted CR123 was a good move, since there were some issues with the electronics in the AA models, particularly if you left a battery in the sight for extended periods without using it. Seems the XPS models have eliminated those problems.

Like I said, I couldn't be happier with mine.

06camarodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:00 PM   #8
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 42990
I'm running an EXPS2-0 on my AR and a 517 on my M&P 15-22. So far I love them...

Given a choice, I would go with the EXPS every time but I figured that being less $$ and being mounted on a .22, the 517 will do for my M&P.

I have used the EXPS some (probably 10-12 range hours and 500 rds) and it is rock solid. The 517 not used that much figuring I just picked the sight up a few months ago. I assure you it will take a beating this summer though, my M&P saw in excess of 5000 rounds in just 5 months last season, it will see the same this year...I'll have a better idea then.
Old 03-25-2012, 03:20 PM   #9
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 23438
own three Eotech 512s and an XPS2-0 here. Swap to lithiums - longer shelf life, longer battery life, wont leak like akalines, slightly lighter.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:54 AM   #10
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 18081
My 512 has been perfect for my range rifles and my EXPS 3-0 was perfect for my M4 while I was deployed, I also paired that with a the GEN II 3x magnifier which worked great but added a lot of weight.

I did a post about dropping my EXPS onto concrete while cleaning from about 2.5-3 feet up and when I put it back on the rifle it was still dead nuts on zero. WELL WORTH THE MONEY!!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » Optics and Glass

Search tags for this page
eotech hhs 1 vs hhs 2
eotech hhs 1 vs hhs-2
eotech hhs i
eotech hhs i review
eotech hhs i versus hhs ii

eotech hhs i vs hhs ii

eotech hhs ii review

eotech hhs1

eotech hhs1 review

eotech hhs1 vs hhs 2

eotech hhs1 vs hhs2

eotech hhs2 review
eotech xps2 vs 512
hhs i vs hhs ii

hhs1 vs hhs 2

Click on a term to search for related topics.