• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Cheap AR-15 Scope

This is a discussion on Cheap AR-15 Scope within the Optics and Glass forums, part of the Armory Talk category; Hey all, just received my cheap scope for my AR-15. I bought it from Valhalla Armory ( 3-9X42 Ultimate AR-15 Scope ) Why did I ...

Old 04-12-2010, 07:40 PM   #1
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 25818
Cheap AR-15 Scope

Hey all, just received my cheap scope for my AR-15. I bought it from Valhalla Armory (3-9X42 Ultimate AR-15 Scope)

Why did I buy a scope that I knew was cheap? Well, for 3 reasons, actually.

First, I had a budget of $200. Now, I know decent quality scopes can be found in this price range, but none that really wowed my socks off.

Second, I really wanted a variable power scope and 90% of the scopes in my price range weren't.

Third, Valhalla Armory has a no hassle return policy! "What if I purchase this scope and don't like it? > No problem? Just let us know and we'll send you a return label and give you a full refund! No questions asked and no hassle!"

This isn't really one scope, but rather a package Valhalla puts together. It's an NCStar Mark III 3-9x42 illuminating reticle scope with an AIM-brand Red Dot and an NCStar aluminum red dot mount. Now I've heard people who love their NCStar scopes and people who bash them to hell. I'm an adventurous type so I figured I'll give 'em a fair shot (ok, Valhalla's return policy went a long way to making me adventurous).

First Impressions:

The scope's not terribly made but you can tell just by the finish that it's a $135 scope. The mount is surprisingly solid, and has a quick release lever which doesn't release quite as quickly as I would have liked - flip it and you'll still have to see-saw the scope off a bit. But not too bad. I like the way it looks on the gun as well. It's kind of got a Fakeog look to it, but one of the reasons I liked it was that it didn't try too hard to imitate, and kept the lines relatively simple and clean. The red dot seems to have a slightly better finish and seems solid.

The scope and red dot both came with covers, nothing spectacular but nice that I don't have to try and find some Wal-mart specials to cover it with. Both scope and red dot came spare batteries (which is good because the red dot was almost dead). The red dot mount that was supplied with this set was a little perplexing - it has 2 mounting rails, but having the second rail interferes with the ability to adjust the power on the scope. I would have rather had the single rail mount displayed on Valhalla's site (they also display the 2 rail version in some pictures so I kind of figured it was a toss-up which one I'd get).

The reticle in the scope illuminates either green or red and is surprisingly bright - the pics only kind of capture it. I am almost thinking it may be too bright and cover up too much of the target... but the light can be shut off and the simple black mil-dot reticle remains. The optics aren't bad - not foggy but not as crisp as the Leupolds or Nikons I've used.

The red dot's window seems to be well done, it's clear and gives a crisp dot. The whole unit (scope, mount, dot) SEEMS to be sturdy enough to handle .223 recoil. I wouldn't be as confident if I were mounting it on a .308 though. The biggest complaint I've heard about NCStar scopes is that they don't hold a zero during fire. Whether this is because some idiot mounted one to his .30-06 and expected it to perform like a $1000 scope ... I can't say.

I'm hitting the range this weekend and will be shooting out to 50 yards - I'll report back with how this scope performs. The 100 yard test will come if/when I decide to keep the scope.

DISCLAIMER:

Yes, I know it's a cheap scope. I admitted it in the beginning. Yes, I know it's not going to hold up like an Eotech, Aimpoint, or Trijicon.
No, I don't plan on going to war or participating in urban combat any time soon.

I plan on putting an Eotech+3x magnifier on this rifle if it turns out to be a decent shooter. Then this scope will likely go live on a rimfire, for which it should be more than adequate.

XDm 9mm, Springer Match Trigger, X-treme Grip,
Don's Stainless Guide Rod 16# spring

And more from Beretta, Benelli, CZ, Kimber, Rock River, Ruger, and Savage.
NDB_MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-13-2010, 08:32 PM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 40263
Looks good to me!

Mike

Mike
speedjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 12:21 AM   #3
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 38299
I had (still have I think) one very similar to that on my ar. it worked, got the job done and held zero just fine as long as I didn't take it off. the fish bowl like optics really bugged me though, and the pin that runs through the rail started falling out, hence it stopped holding zero when taken off. but until I figured out what I wanted to do for optics it got the job done and performed fine at 100yrds.

finding a decent scope in the $200 range isn't difficult, trouble is a quick release mount costs as much or more. which is eventually the route I took.
bel970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 01:23 AM   #4
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 25818
OK, went to the range today and fired off 80 rounds through the AR with the optics mentioned above.

First off, the red dot held zero well and was easy to use. The one quirk to it is the elevation adjustment takes a LOT of turning for a little rise. The windage adjustment was far more responsive. At 25 yards I had no problem keeping things COM off-hand. When rested it was putting groups of 1.5" or less - and since the red dot itself covers at least that much of the target I was feeling pretty good about it. So good I shot too many rounds through the red dot and almost forgot about the scope!

The scope was almost the opposite issue as the red dot. It was grouping 3/8" (basically all 3 shots touching) at 25 yards but was consistently to the left no matter what I did to the windage. Backed her out to 50 yards and it took a bit of playing to get things where I wanted them - elevation very responsive, the MOA clicks worked spot on. The WINDAGE though felt like I was cranking forever to get it where I wanted it. In the end my last group was all shots touching (about a 3/8" group) 1/2" to the right of the bull (last adjustment over adjusted to the right since the windage was being so silly).

The next test will be to see if it holds zero until the next time I take it out! Might get it to a 100 yard range as well.

XDm 9mm, Springer Match Trigger, X-treme Grip,
Don's Stainless Guide Rod 16# spring

And more from Beretta, Benelli, CZ, Kimber, Rock River, Ruger, and Savage.
NDB_MN is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » Optics and Glass

Search tags for this page

3-9x42 ultimate ar-15 scope review

ar 15 scope

ar 15 scope reviews

cheap scopes for ar 15 ratings
cheapest best scope for ar15
fourm on inexspensive ar15 scopes
ncstar ultimate one 3-9x42 scope review
sturdy cheap optics for ar
ultimate ar-15 scope - mod 1 review
ultimate ar-15 scope amazon
valhala sopes
valhalla armory complaints
valhalla armory review
valhalla armory scope reviews
valhalla ultimate ar-15 scope review
walmart combo scope
Click on a term to search for related topics.