• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Scope or Peep Sight for for Marlin 336?

This is a discussion on Scope or Peep Sight for for Marlin 336? within the Optics and Glass forums, part of the Armory Talk category; Greetings. My wife and two of my sons completely surprised me on Christmas Day with a Marlin 336 in .30-30 Win. I was floored! Anyways, ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » Optics and Glass » Scope or Peep Sight for for Marlin 336?

Old 12-27-2009, 03:13 PM   #1
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 30907
Scope or Peep Sight for for Marlin 336?

Greetings.

My wife and two of my sons completely surprised me on Christmas Day with a Marlin 336 in .30-30 Win. I was floored!

Anyways, while the shock and excitement have not worn off, my brain has engaged and I'm already thinking about upgrading the factory sights.

I'm not at all experienced with rifle optics, and want to get some wisdom on this purchase. This is going to be a plinking / patrol rifle. I'm not hoping to go out past 200 yds with it.

Here's my question:

Would peep sights be adequate for 100 - 200 yds? If so, I was thinking about a set of Willilams sights for ~~$70?

If not, I saw this house-brand scope in Cabella's that was specifically designed for Hornady LeverRevolution ammo:

Cabela's Pine Ridge Lever-Action Riflescope

The scope costs $99. I'm always a little suspect about house-brand stuff unless I'm familiar with it. I plan to reload, and would probably buy the Hornady bullets.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:45 PM   #2
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 41788
I like my lever guns with irons. However, if it's going to be a hunting rifle I'd be tempted to put a good quality 4 power scope on it.
butcher 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:49 PM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 36438
Like Butcher an old style lever is made for irons as they just look and balance better. That said I did have a variable Nicon on a BLR- but that was a .308 BLR and not a Win or Marlin 30-30. If you are experienced with peeps I'd go that route as they are downright accurate and your hunting style will accommodate them.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:21 PM   #4
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 30682
Some things in life just shouldn't be and one is a scope on a lever gun. They can be very accurate with stock iron sights and deadly with the peep sights. I scored a 1937 Sears model 94 Winchester and the first thing I did was remove the scope on it. I can hit gong plates with it at 200 yards. Good Luck with it, the plinker ammo is $15 a box.
thetravlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:11 PM   #5
XDTalk 1K Member

Travlor - Thanks - I just ordered a Williams peep sight. It's on backorder at Midway, but I got my order in before it came off sale. $27.99
Old 01-08-2010, 03:24 PM   #6
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 12586
Williams is the bomb...only problem I have is I have to get a drillbit to drill the frame of a pre-64 Winchester to mount it..and boy howdy you know how much I DON'T want to do that right!?!?!
‎"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!" - Sam Houston
"quo vadis"
AwPhuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:26 PM   #7
XDTalk 1K Member

That sounds like a little too much stress for me. Fortunately, the 336 is already drilled and tapped & Williams makes use of the holes.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:26 PM   #8
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 27123
I've got XS sights on my .450 1895M; ghost ring rear and blade front.

I like 'em.

If you scope it...and I know this is gonna sound a little nuts...but for what you way you want to use it for, look at a Trijicon 1-4 Accupoint. Yes, it costs more than the rifle...but it's pretty much the perfect scope for the application.

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".--Isaac Asimov
Cuda66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » Optics and Glass

336; .30-30; scope; peep

Search tags for this page
best iron sights for marlin 336
best peep sights marlin 336

best sights for marlin 336

marlin 336 iron sights or scope
marlin 336 peep sight accuracy

marlin 336 peep sight reviews

marlin 336 scope or iron sights

peep sights for marlin 336

peep sights or iron marlin 336
scope or peep on a marlin336
scope or peep sight on marlin 336
trijicon peep sights marlin 336
Click on a term to search for related topics.