• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Ruger 10/22 Rifle Auction with No Reserve Price!

This is a discussion on Ruger 10/22 Rifle Auction with No Reserve Price! within the OnTargetAuctions.com forums, part of the Forum Sponsors & Commerce category; Originally Posted by rockymax This happens all the time on Ebay Really? I thought ebay had a predetermined end time. Tim...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Forum Sponsors & Commerce » OnTargetAuctions.com » Ruger 10/22 Rifle Auction with No Reserve Price!

Old 01-13-2012, 11:08 PM   #21
XDTalk Member

Member #: 62682
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymax View Post
This happens all the time on Ebay
Really? I thought ebay had a predetermined end time.

Tim
Remove Ads
Old 01-13-2012, 11:16 PM   #22
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 54775
Quote:
Originally Posted by gssfc View Post
Really? I thought ebay had a predetermined end time.

Tim

I think there was sarcasm in that "all the time on ebay" posting.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:24 PM   #23
XDTalk Member

Member #: 62682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
I think there was sarcasm in that "all the time on ebay" posting.
D'oh.

Tim
Old 01-14-2012, 07:58 AM   #24
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 62487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston View Post
CROOKED! DO NOT do business with this auction site. I bet numerous times on this item, then at an arbitrary number my AUTOBID, mind you, was not even taken. Another bidder won, I'm sure it wasn't an aquaintance of OnTargetAuctions. (wink,wink!)
This is just what happened to me. I will not return to this site. YMMV. BE AWARE!
Wow, so many things that I could say here, but not many of them would fit inside the terms of use of this site.

So, you lost last night's auction because your autobidder didn't fire? My finger didn't fire, can I blame that on OTA also? Hell, there were 3 of us still pushing the button, while an autobidder won the auction. And before you just jumping out there on your high horse, why does the auction listing state that at 01/12/11 7:12:29 PM (auction ended at 7:13:35 PM) you used your button to make your final bid? And now you say that it was the autobidder that failed? Did you have it setup correctly? What were your parameters that you were using? Did you push "Activate"? Are you 100% sure you set it correctly?

You bid a total of 22 times in last night's auction. If I remember correctly, from watching and participating, most, if not all of those bids were by pushing the button.

You're throwing a lot of accusations out there with a lot of questions that need to be figured out on your end. Did you contact OTA with your concerns? If not, this is not a cool way to handle this.
- WI Concealed Carry Classes

μολὼν λαβέ

"The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced." - Frank Zappa

Should be required reading for all members:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
Old 01-14-2012, 08:29 AM   #25
XDTalk 1K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymax View Post
It's not an auction. Not even close. With a real auction you don't have to pay to bid.
And in a real auction you have to pay any number of fees on the back end.

It IS an auction though. It's not a "traditional" auction, true. It's called a penny auction. In a traditional auction, you can bid whatever number you want. There are no set intervals to your bids. If the current bid in a trad. auction is at $15.00 and you want to shock everyone, and get them out of the bidding, you jump it to $20 or $25 and send the little kids scurrying for the door. Here, increments are $.01. Keeping the cost of the items very low on the final buy price.

----------------------------------------------

Just so I don't double post (again)...

In regards to buying bids and the overall cost of items purchased...

In last night's auction, we had approximately 10 guys actively bidding on the rifle. Some people dropped out early, some stayed until the bitter end. Some came and went and came back later. You really have to do your own math to figure out what your final cost would have been.

I'll use my experience from last night. I used a total of 31 bids last night. Let's say that I won the auction. I started with a total of 53 bids. 25 I had purchased for $24.00, another 30 bid auction (took 6 bids to win) I won for a total of $2.20 and 4 bids that were left over from what I had acquired previously on the site through signing up (bonus when they got started and posting in a previous thread on here with suggestions for items). My total money spent on bids was $26.20.

Final price on the rifle was $1.77. My total price per bid was $.53 and change, we'll round it up to $.54.

Final Price: $1.77
Money spent bidding: $16.74 (31 x $.54)
Shipping and Fees from OTA: $30
FFL Transfer Fees on my end: $25
----------------------------------
Rifle total cost: $73.71 for a brand new Ruger 10/22 Carbine Rifle, shipped to me and into my hands through my local FFL.

I have no ties to OTA whatsoever. If you notice early posts from when they joined XDTalk as a sponsor, I said straight out that this isn't my favorite kind of auction site. It has grown on me though. This is the only penny auction site that I spend any time at. I like guns and tool and accessories. Nobody else is doing this (to my knowledge) and they are a forum sponsor. I will also say that any questions I've had regarding auctions, how the site is run or anything else my mind can think of has been answered quickly and professionally by Ken. I get nothing by helping you guys out by answering your questions. I'm just trying to help out a sponsor that I've dealt with and have had good experiences with. If I can help him here, and he sees XDTalk as a good place to spend his money (and $1200 a year ain't chicken feed) and keep him as a sponsor, we're going to get better deals as things ramp up.

If you want to call it gambling, there's nothing I'm going to say that's going to change your mind. Driving down the highway is more like gambling than anything you're going to do on OTA, in my opinion. If it's not for you, then so be it. Just like everything else, you have that choice. If Ken can make some money running an auction site selling some pretty cool stuff, good on him! I wish I had thought of it, frankly.

μολὼν λαβέ

"The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced." - Frank Zappa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
Old 01-14-2012, 08:56 AM   #26
XDTalk Member

Member #: 52257
I have looked at a couple of these penny auction sites and can see why people dont want any part of them. I can also see why there are a ton of people watching and bidding on the items being auctioned. Obviously Brewguytim got an amazing deal on the 10-22.

Yes the auction sight is making money hand over fist but there are still geeat deals to be had.

The best idea is to only bid on something you are really wanting to buy. The sight offers you to buy the item for at full price minus what you spent on bids in the event you dont win.

Just my 2

In God I trust....everyone else I will check NCIC/TCIC

"A 1911 is what you show your friends, an XDM is what you show your enemies"
Old 01-14-2012, 09:14 AM   #27
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 64083
I am just waiting for payday to buy me some bids
Old 01-14-2012, 09:17 AM   #28
XDTalk 1K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperXDM40 View Post
Obviously Brewguytim got an amazing deal on the 10-22.
I wish I had won. I out-strategerized myself last night.

μολὼν λαβέ

Old 01-14-2012, 09:30 AM   #29
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 61574
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewGuyTim View Post
And in a real auction you have to pay any number of fees on the back end.

It IS an auction though. It's not a "traditional" auction, true. It's called a penny auction. In a traditional auction, you can bid whatever number you want. There are no set intervals to your bids. If the current bid in a trad. auction is at $15.00 and you want to shock everyone, and get them out of the bidding, you jump it to $20 or $25 and send the little kids scurrying for the door. Here, increments are $.01. Keeping the cost of the items very low on the final buy price.

----------------------------------------------

Just so I don't double post (again)...

In regards to buying bids and the overall cost of items purchased...

In last night's auction, we had approximately 10 guys actively bidding on the rifle. Some people dropped out early, some stayed until the bitter end. Some came and went and came back later. You really have to do your own math to figure out what your final cost would have been.

I'll use my experience from last night. I used a total of 31 bids last night. Let's say that I won the auction. I started with a total of 53 bids. 25 I had purchased for $24.00, another 30 bid auction (took 6 bids to win) I won for a total of $2.20 and 4 bids that were left over from what I had acquired previously on the site through signing up (bonus when they got started and posting in a previous thread on here with suggestions for items). My total money spent on bids was $26.20.

Final price on the rifle was $1.77. My total price per bid was $.53 and change, we'll round it up to $.54.

Final Price: $1.77
Money spent bidding: $16.74 (31 x $.54)
Shipping and Fees from OTA: $30
FFL Transfer Fees on my end: $25
----------------------------------
Rifle total cost: $73.71 for a brand new Ruger 10/22 Carbine Rifle, shipped to me and into my hands through my local FFL.

I have no ties to OTA whatsoever. If you notice early posts from when they joined XDTalk as a sponsor, I said straight out that this isn't my favorite kind of auction site. It has grown on me though. This is the only penny auction site that I spend any time at. I like guns and tool and accessories. Nobody else is doing this (to my knowledge) and they are a forum sponsor. I will also say that any questions I've had regarding auctions, how the site is run or anything else my mind can think of has been answered quickly and professionally by Ken. I get nothing by helping you guys out by answering your questions. I'm just trying to help out a sponsor that I've dealt with and have had good experiences with. If I can help him here, and he sees XDTalk as a good place to spend his money (and $1200 a year ain't chicken feed) and keep him as a sponsor, we're going to get better deals as things ramp up.

If you want to call it gambling, there's nothing I'm going to say that's going to change your mind. Driving down the highway is more like gambling than anything you're going to do on OTA, in my opinion. If it's not for you, then so be it. Just like everything else, you have that choice. If Ken can make some money running an auction site selling some pretty cool stuff, good on him! I wish I had thought of it, frankly.
Yup. Let us just agree to disagree. Sounds like this is more of a stand up operation than some of the fly by "penny auction" sites out there. That being said, I have a problem with these types of sites.

A) Paying to bid. I realize that this site will credit you the bids on an item if you want to buy it. In my opinion, unless you really want to buy the item this is where the bids turn into bets. I buy lots of stuff on ebay and have never been charged to bid on anything. And when I do win the auction, it doesn't cost me anything "extra" to finalize the sale (Other than shipping). All costs associated with a listing on Ebay are paid for by the seller.

B) The resetting counter. It keeps resetting and resetting.....Why is this? And why isn't the resetting counter trick disclosed when you first sign up? 45 minutes for the last 30 seconds of last nights auction! Why? Again, this to me seems to be in favor of the house.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:16 AM   #30
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 62449
I, too, am not the biggest fan of penny auction sites. That said, they can be fun. OTA has stuff I'd actually LIKE to bid on. They answer questions quickly. They ship quickly if you win. And, they support this site. I'm happy enough to support them because of that.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Forum Sponsors & Commerce » OnTargetAuctions.com

auction, ruger, ruger 10/22

Search tags for this page
22 rifle for sale ebay
22 rifles for sale on ebay
ebay 22 rifle for sale
ebay 22 rifle sale

ebay 22 rifles for sale

guns for pennies

gunsforpennies

gunsforpennies.com

gunsforpennys
gunsforpennys.com
ruger 10/22 rfp
ruger 1296 for sale
used 22 rifles for sale on ebay
www.gunsforpennies.com
www.gunsforpennys.com
Click on a term to search for related topics.