• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Cleaning a new gun before you shoot it

This is a discussion on Cleaning a new gun before you shoot it within the Non-XD Handguns forums, part of the Other Handgun Talk category; I've looked in the manuals and haven't found an answer and my father, a member of Uncle Sam's Gun Club, doesn't have an opinion on ...

Old 01-13-2009, 11:06 PM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 22243
Cleaning a new gun before you shoot it

I've looked in the manuals and haven't found an answer and my father, a member of Uncle Sam's Gun Club, doesn't have an opinion on this.

When you purchase a new firearm, should it be cleaned of the factory oil before you fire it the first time?

If so, how much more than running a few patches down the pipe should you do?

Thanks in advance.
djhaycock is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-13-2009, 11:13 PM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 27199
Most of the time I do not bother with it.. I will take some Militec with me and make sure she is nice and lubed up (haha) thought the first session.

After that, a nice thorough cleaning to get rid of all the gunk then I go to my usual personal routine.
TexanAviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:51 PM   #3
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 31998
It's habit to clean and relube, just because my taste is normally mil-surplus guns.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:58 AM   #4
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 14062
i tend to bring my guns home, and clean them up. for one thing if i've just purchased a gun i'm not totally familiar with, i like to know how to tear it down in case the need arises at the range. i also like to examine the inside of the gun for any defects, or unusual wear prior to use, that way if i get it home for a good cleaning after its first range trip and i see something odd, i would know if it occured from me shooting, and not wonder if it was there prior to me taking it out just after purchase.

also its untelling how long the gun has sat somewhere, so a fresh lube cant hurt.

do you have to.. no probably not..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
BoomerBSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:34 AM   #5
ADA
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 28660
Most new guns have a bunch of gunk on them from the factory. I always use some gun scrubber to get that crap off and lube them properly. Don't forget the magazines.
"The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.'" -Ken Konecki

Last edited by ADA; 01-14-2009 at 09:35 AM. Reason: spelling
ADA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:59 AM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 12183
You should do a tear down clean and lube
Orlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:03 AM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 30572
I just picked up a new XD40 and it had so much oil on it that I was slipping when trying to rack it.

Do you need to, usually not, but it does not hurt to field strip and inspect and lube. Right?
XDFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:13 AM   #8
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 15893
I usually break it down and wipe it/relube the gun before I fire it for the first time, but there have been times that I shot it straight out of the box. Most of the time though, I do this more to familarize myself with the new weapon more than actually cleaning it.

When I picked up my XD .45, the owner of the shop threw me a box of 45 ammo and a couple of targets and told me to go try it out. Who was I to argue

Woof
Bowser

Armory Specifications & Inventory: TOP SECRET
Bowser4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:25 AM   #9
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 30507
Quote:
Originally Posted by djhaycock View Post
I've looked in the manuals and haven't found an answer and my father, a member of Uncle Sam's Gun Club, doesn't have an opinion on this.

When you purchase a new firearm, should it be cleaned of the factory oil before you fire it the first time?

If so, how much more than running a few patches down the pipe should you do?

Thanks in advance.
I always clean the barrel, with any new gun before I shoot it.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:38 AM   #10
ORD
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 27771
At a minimum, you need to inspect the barrel and the action and likely both will need a good cleaning and oiling per the manual specs. It really varies from manufacturer to manufacturer how much cleaning you'll need to do, but it should be obvious from a visual inspection.

For example, most Remington rifles come fairly clean. I usually scrub out the barrel, clean the chamber, pull the bolt to clean the lug recesses, locking lugs and bolt face, etc., and oil where appropriate.

On the other hand, I recently bought a new Mossberg shotgun that looked like it was packaged by a small child who went a little wacky with the packing grease during craft time!! It was absolutely caked with grease in the action, on the bolt, even in the barrel, etc. When I pulled it apart, the gas piston was about the only thing that wasn't absolutely filthy. Even the barrel had gunk in it combined with the remnants from it being test fired at the factory. I spent over an hour just disassembling, cleaning/oiling and reassembling the shotgun before a single round went through it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » Non-XD Handguns

Search tags for this page

before you shoot a new gun

clean a new shotgun before shooting it?

clean gun after purchase

do you need to clean a new gun

do you need to remove the bolt before shooting for the first time
do you oil a new hand gunn befor you shoot it

factoy gun oil

how to clean a shotgun for the first time

is it necessary to clean a new shotgun before use
new shotgun should i clean it before shooting
new shotgun should you clean before you fire it

shoukd i initially oil my gun after purchasing

should a new gun be cleaned before you shoot it

should i clean my gun before using it for the first time

what do you have to do to a new pistol before you shoot it?

Click on a term to search for related topics.