• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Mosin Nagant M44 - rear sight twisted

This is a discussion on Mosin Nagant M44 - rear sight twisted within the Non-XD Handguns forums, part of the Other Handgun Talk category; I bought an M44 back in April and have shot the thing on two occasions, but it wasn't until I had it on my bench ...

Old 12-08-2008, 09:26 AM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 6728
Unhappy Mosin Nagant M44 - rear sight twisted

I bought an M44 back in April and have shot the thing on two occasions, but it wasn't until I had it on my bench doing some trigger work that I noticed this: the rear sight mount is rotated about 5 degrees to the right. I checked a 91/30 and its rear sight mount is dead on at 0 degrees. To me that kind of ruins it for ever being a half-way decent shooter. It shoots okay at 50 yards, but this kind of makes any work I do to try to accurize it a waste of time. Has anyone seen this before? Is there an easy way to correct this or should I just get another M44? I'll post pics later to show exactly what I'm talking about.
doctor_ew is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-08-2008, 11:08 AM   #2
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 8434
If it bugs you then get another one but if you've shot it twice and didn't notice it before, its probably not that big of a deal. On a side note, you would get much better results accurizing a 91/30. 7.62X54R was designed for a long barrell, that's why we get so much flash from M-44s, 38s and 39s.

If you really want to tinker with something, get a 91/30, they're cheaper right now anyway.
Who dare while others fly...
They build a nation's pillars deep
And lift them to the sky. - Emerson

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Nietzche
danp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 12:51 PM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danp View Post
If it bugs you then get another one but if you've shot it twice and didn't notice it before, its probably not that big of a deal. On a side note, you would get much better results accurizing a 91/30. 7.62X54R was designed for a long barrell, that's why we get so much flash from M-44s, 38s and 39s.

If you really want to tinker with something, get a 91/30, they're cheaper right now anyway.
Oh yeah, the M44 fireball definitely gets some looks at the range. I have a 91/30 hex receiver too. I was doing some trigger work on both of them last weekend when I noticed the rotated rear sight on the M44.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:54 PM   #4
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 5489
Take a BFH and knock it straight....thats what I do. If that doesn't work, repostion it and drill new holes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
einheit 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 03:57 PM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Is the pin that holds the sight mount a single pin that passes through the barrel or is it two pins that only go partially through? If the latter, how would one extract them other then trying to drill them out?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » Non-XD Handguns

mosin, nagant, rifle

Search tags for this page
how to remove rear sight on mosin m44

m44 rear sight

m44 rear sight base
m44 rear sight base removal
m44 rear sight removal
mosin m44 rear sight

mosin nagant m44 rear sight

mosin nagant m44 rear sight info
mosin nagant m44 rear sight kit

mosin nagant m44 rear sight removal

mosin nagant rear sight crooked

mosin nagant rear sights for sale m44
mosin rear sight crooked
remove rear sight m44
removing m44 rear sight base
removing rear sight mosin nagant m44
Click on a term to search for related topics.