• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Hammered or Hammerless

This is a discussion on Hammered or Hammerless within the Non-XD Handguns forums, part of the Other Handgun Talk category; I'm looking at the Taurus Judge and have a quick question. What would be better with a hammer or without? I need to know from ...

Old 10-27-2008, 09:10 AM   #1
XDTalk Member

Member #: 25056
Hammered or Hammerless

I'm looking at the Taurus Judge and have a quick question. What would be better with a hammer or without?

I need to know from a safety, maintenance, carry, and reliable perspective.
hardlivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-27-2008, 10:02 AM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 16336
Depends the use intendeded for the gun. If its for sport use, I'd say hammer. For defensivce use, hammerless would be my choice.

To not answer your question, but throw out something worth considering: if you shoot someone with a pistol called "the judge", what do you think the prosecuter is going to say?

I don't list my guns - I know glocks, FALs, and AKs but I'm not sure my ability to fill a gunsafe with guns make me an expert on anything.

All that you can depend on from a 45 is that it will drill a .45 - .70 inch hole about 14 inches into someone. There will not be "energy dump", people will not fly backwards, and they will not necessarily fall as if they have been struck by lighting.
GlockConvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:51 PM   #3
XDTalk Member

Member #: 25056
I would use the weapon for general range duty. Basically shooting just for the fun of it in a safe, controlled, and legal manner. I won't rule out using it for SD either.

Why would having a hammer be better for sporting purposes? I can understand why not having hammer would be better for concealment purposes.

Never really put much thought into the name given by the manufacturer having a negative impact in court. Good point. But if it's what's on me and I need it then I'll have no choice but to use it.

Let me broaden the question beyond just the Taurus Judge. What are the advantages to having or not having a hammer on a revolver?
hardlivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:57 PM   #4
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 23549
go with the hammer cause your probly not gonna carry it and thats all the bobbed version is good for plus the trigger pull isnt great

"An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a
slave!"

"To protect yourself and the ones you love from the unthinkable, you must not dismiss the possible."
Perchjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 06:44 PM   #5
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 2897
If its for sd, your barking up the wrong tree. DO some research on ballistics.
"The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
ichy_trigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:24 PM   #6
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 15893
My Judge has the hammer and I prefer it that way.... I guess that I am just old fashioned, but I like the hammer on it. And I bought the Judge to use for self defense..... it is a special case, but after looking at all of the weapons out there, it just made the most sense.... It is used for protection at a ocean front condo. With more and more of the area having drug related crime, I wanted something there that could stop a BG, but since there are 19 other units in our building, I needed to minimize the potential of over penetration.

While a lot of people question the ability of this for SD, after patterning 2,4, & #6 loads, I can say that I would not want to get hit with that #4. Plus at the distance inside the condo unit that I would be fireing, I am pretty confident in the weapon. Not saying the my 45 XD or 9mm Kahr wouldn't be a more effective weapon, but in this case, neccessity mandates a different choice. Plus that last cylinder has a 45 LC load in it.

Woof
Bowser

Armory Specifications & Inventory: TOP SECRET
Bowser4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:14 AM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 16336
For sporting use, the abilty to cock the hammer will shorten trigger pull, and arguably make the gun easier to shoot well. FOr self defense, most folks, including me, don't recommending cocking a revolver (unless its a single action gun).

I don't list my guns - I know glocks, FALs, and AKs but I'm not sure my ability to fill a gunsafe with guns make me an expert on anything.

All that you can depend on from a 45 is that it will drill a .45 - .70 inch hole about 14 inches into someone. There will not be "energy dump", people will not fly backwards, and they will not necessarily fall as if they have been struck by lighting.
GlockConvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:48 AM   #8
XDTalk Supporter

Member #: 20418
Hammered or Hammerless

Oops, sorry .
I thought this was a drinking thread...

Looking to carry a Judge pistol?????????
Think and reevaluate Sir..

There is plenty a pistol more suitable for carrying...

And don't forget your talking about a Taurus..
You deserve better than that..........

"Scheiße nicht gegeben"......Deer Slayer
1lowlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:34 AM   #9
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 23857
Hammer or not?

If we were talking snubnose .38 specials to be carried in the front pocket, I would say hammerless so as to prevent snagging when drawing from said pocket. As we are talking a great big huge "Judge" than I would go with the hammer as you'll never get that thing out of a front pocket if you are ever able to get it into one. The judge is made to be carried in an outside the waistband holster.

Browser 4x4, do you like your judge? How is the quality?

Chapie+
Chapie+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:17 PM   #10
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 18481
Hammerless for ccw... just for in the car "Judge" go with the hammer.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » Non-XD Handguns

Search tags for this page
ae the hammerless taurus judge better
hammer vs hammerless revolver
hammered or hammerless

hammerless judge

hammerless judge pistol

hammerless taurus judge

hammerlessjudge
how much is a taurus hammerless judge?
judge hammerless
judge hammerless pistol
taurus judge black hammerless

taurus judge hammerless

taurus judge hammerless review

taurus judge hammerless vs hammer
taurus judge lightweight hammerless
the judge hammerless pistol
Click on a term to search for related topics.