• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

P228 and Duracoat (photos)

This is a discussion on P228 and Duracoat (photos) within the Non-XD Handguns forums, part of the Other Handgun Talk category; Nice...

Old 06-29-2009, 06:14 PM   #21
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 33312
Nice

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.--Psalm 23:4
s&w22aellafrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-29-2009, 09:29 PM   #22
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 30825
I like it, you did well!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
ColdDeadHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:34 AM   #23
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 13774
Seriously bud, don't waste your time with any duraCrap product. I've used everything out there and done it as a prosperous side job for many years now. Duracoat is the Ford Pinto of firearm coatings. Seriously, it's the bottom of the barrel.

For ease of use and durability, go with Norrell Moly Resin. no mixing, just shake it up, spray through an airbrush, and put in the oven for an hour. 5 times easier, 10 times more durable than DuraCrap. It's even cheaper, they offer free shipping.
MolyResin also comes in an Air Coat if you have something you can't bake, but honestly it's not as durable as the bake on product.

CeraKote is also a great product, but it's also bake on, you have to mix it, and it's more expensive. KG GunKote is also good, better than DC by far, but still not the best.

I have personal and customer photo's all over this web site of the before and after. Nothing is "tough as nails" as DuraJunk claims to be, but there are no complaints when using Moly Resin or CeraKote.

I just finished a Sig P6 in all Moly black. I'll see if I can't get some pics of it up since it's basically the handgun you're looking to refinish. They're on my camera, I just need to load them onto PhotoBucket.

I'm just trying to save you some headaches, prevent you from wasting your time, and give you the best outcome for your project. No hating my post

Here's a famous internet durajunk for you:

[quote=FCOD;2009148]Here's a couple of pictures of what I'm up against. Funny thing is, is that the frame rails have almost no wear. It was a police trade in, and aside from the holster wear, the gun was probably not fired that much.

I am actually thinking that I might try Durabake instead. I have read more positive things of Durabake than Duracoat and cure time is much much quicker. I believe Durabake can also be sprayed over the factory Sig finish. I will scotch brite the frame a little though just to rough it up a little bit. You can see the wear Im talking about under the front of the slide.

Last edited by Myk9noseknows; 06-30-2009 at 12:41 AM.
Myk9noseknows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 02:00 AM   #24
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 38170
Wow! Nevermind!

Can Norrell Molly Resin be sprayed over the sig frame finish or does it have to be blasted?
FCOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 02:16 PM   #25
XDTalk 3K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCOD View Post
Wow! Nevermind!

Can Norrell Molly Resin be sprayed over the sig frame finish or does it have to be blasted?
It's best to blast it so you have a platform for it to stick to (any firearm coating will be best if you blast the surface first)

However, I have just cleaned and preped a few really well without blasting it and have had good results.
But blast or parkerizing are the preferred method to keep you happy and the firearm in the best possible shape
Old 06-30-2009, 03:55 PM   #26
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 32161
Norell uses a lead base to their spray... so use with caution I say

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

NRA - Endowed Life Member

sneedb82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 07:50 PM   #27
XDTalk 3K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneedb82 View Post
Norell uses a lead base to their spray... so use with caution I say

And it's also made from Dow Corning and 3M, not American Tobacco (let me guess, you've never used tobacco, alcohol, insecticide, medication, gasoline, diesel, high fuctose corn syrup, or the other millions of chemicals in your life?).

Moly at least lists every chemical it contains and if it is carcinogenic to humans or animals....no, no, no, no, etc. The only hazardous chemical is formaldehyde in trace amounts:

Residual Formaldehyde (Cas # 50-00-0) Trace ACGIH TLV: 1ppm OSHA PEL: 3 ppm
Irritating to skin, eyes, and mucous membranes. Carcinogenicity: Animals-yes, humans-indefinite

Rather anyone realizes the ingredients or not, you're an idiot if you spray anything without a mask on to protect your lungs. So "use with caution" I say!
Old 06-30-2009, 11:31 PM   #28
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 38170
Well fellas. Bit the bullet and just sent the frame off to get professionally done. I figure that Ive been waiting years for a P228 and now that I finally got one, it deserves the best per say. Haha.
FCOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:26 PM   #29
XDTalk 3K Member

Here is my P6 refinished in Moly Resin, semi gloss. All external controls polished to a mirror finish as well as the barrel.

A green fiber optic front sight. All the internals were coated in Moly as well as it has self lubricating properties.

Installed a lighter mainspring so the DA is now at about 5lbs. SWEEEEEEEET!

Kind of hard to tell with the pictures, it looks sooooo much better in person.

I did all the work myself (I actually do custom work on the side for extra cash):

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » Non-XD Handguns

Search tags for this page

1989 p228

cz-99 duracoat
cz99 duracoat
duracoat on sig 228
duracoat on sig p228 silver slide

duracoat p229

duracoat sig

duracoat sig frame

duracoat sig p228

images of sig sauer painted with duracoat
pics of duracoat finishes

refinishing sig sauer p228

sig duracoat

sig p228 duracoat

sig sauer duracoat

which color sig p228 duracoat
Click on a term to search for related topics.