• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Good First Semi-Auto Pistols for Lefties

This is a discussion on Good First Semi-Auto Pistols for Lefties within the Non-XD Handguns forums, part of the Other Handgun Talk category; I was talking to a friend of mine and he said that he's looking at getting his first pistol. He was looking at something in ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » Non-XD Handguns » Good First Semi-Auto Pistols for Lefties

Old 04-26-2008, 08:55 PM   #1
XDTalk 25K Member

Member #: 1698
Question Good First Semi-Auto Pistols for Lefties

I was talking to a friend of mine and he said that he's looking at getting his first pistol. He was looking at something in .40 or 9mm but .40 preferably.

The caveat is that he's a lefty and he seems to have a preference for a manual safety.

I mentioned some of the big manufacturers (SA, Glock, Beretta, Sig, HK, S&W) and told him that largely pistol selection comes down to personal preference and how much you want to spend. I told him to ask a bunch of people and then ask them if you can shoot their guns, offering to buy ammunition.

I know there are two trains of thoughts regarding lefties and handguns (1) Train learning how to shoot non-ambidextrous pistols so you can shoot anything (2) or get something with ambidextrous controls.

Disregarding those two trains of thoughts, what would you recommend for a first semi-auto pistol <= $700.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

Krackels is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-26-2008, 09:01 PM   #2
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 3251
I would get the XD-9 Service in 9mm. I would say the Glock 19 but it doesnt have an ambidextous mag release. But all in all I say either the XD-9 or the Glock 19 . I have both and love them . They are like a pack of Golden Retrievers , they like to run and play all day with no problems at all .
Old 04-26-2008, 09:06 PM   #3
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 17303
As a lefty myself I place the XD over most other pistols in the category of south-paw friendliness (that's mostly why I bought it); especially in the price range you mentioned.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:28 PM   #4
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 3251
Also the Stoeger Cougar can be had for $349 NEW and has the capability for the user to instal the mag-release on the either side . Its a great gun , i own 2 and it also has the rotary-barrel system which is 100% reliable . It also comes stamndard with a ambidextrous safety . check the link....
Stoeger Cougar Double-Action, Auto-Loading Pistol
Old 04-27-2008, 07:14 AM   #5
XDTalk 25K Member

Member #: 1698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tercel89 View Post
Also the Stoeger Cougar can be had for $349 NEW and has the capability for the user to instal the mag-release on the either side . Its a great gun , i own 2 and it also has the rotary-barrel system which is 100% reliable . It also comes stamndard with a ambidextrous safety . check the link....
Stoeger Cougar Double-Action, Auto-Loading Pistol
Good looking out... I totally forgot about the Stoegers.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."

&

Krackels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 12:09 PM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 6174
I'm a lefty and the XD was my first handgun. I have no complaints.

Springfield XD9 Tactical
ZXD9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 07:34 PM   #7
XDTalk Member

Member #: 24032
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXD9 View Post
I'm a lefty and the XD was my first handgun. I have no complaints.
++++1....also I bought the 45 compact and had rather shoot it than any other gun I own. My favorite gun by far. Put 180 rounds down range today in about 3 hours.....great fun!!!!!!!!!

Walther p22
Taurus pt145
GSG5
Converted Ruger10\22
Bushmaster AR15
XD 9mm 3"
XD 45 4"
Bamaguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 10:25 PM   #8
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 5032
XD all the way. take it from me im a lefty
Old 04-27-2008, 11:46 PM   #9
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 4416
Another lefty vote for the XD.

Also, wheelguns don't care what hand you use.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » Non-XD Handguns

Search tags for this page
ambidextrous 9mm handguns
ambidextrous 9mm pistol
ambidextrous automatic pistols
ambidextrous handgun
ambidextrous handguns

ambidextrous pistols

ambidextrous semi auto handguns
best ambidextrous handgun
best ambidextrous handguns
best ambidextrous pistol
best ambidextrous pistols
pistols with ambidextrous controls
Click on a term to search for related topics.