• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Mossberg 500A - Specs?

This is a discussion on Mossberg 500A - Specs? within the Non-XD Handguns forums, part of the Other Handgun Talk category; Anyone have info regarding Mossberg 500A shotguns? I looked on mossberg's website and I could not find any details. A local dealer has two used ...

Old 04-25-2008, 10:52 AM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 1727
Mossberg 500A - Specs? UPDATED!!

Anyone have info regarding Mossberg 500A shotguns? I looked on mossberg's website and I could not find any details.

A local dealer has two used ("mostly rack wear") Mossberg 500A with a 20" barrel for $125. I am planning on heading over to take a look, but does anyone know more about the model??

What year they were made?
Shot Capacity?
Wood or Synthetic furniture?
Was it discontinued for negative reasons / not as reliable as a modern Mossberg?

The only search on the forum here was for a repair job on one, but contained no additional info. I'm still pursuing a HD shotgun (as my other threads have shown) and I would think $125 is a good price if it's in fairly decent shape...

"You have a pistol to defend your life and home. Now get a rifle to defend your country." - Caribou

Last edited by New2Arms; 04-25-2008 at 07:56 PM. Reason: added question
New2Arms is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-25-2008, 01:11 PM   #2
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 8785
I'd buy both at that price! I have a Mossy 500 cruiser and a 835. Both are awesome shotguns.

I was anti-Obama when Anti-Obama wasn't cool. Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.-- Glen Aldrich

The wealthiest nation in the world with the mightiest army man has ever assembled could not stop them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
PackerfanXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 03:10 PM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Anyone with specifics on the Mossberg 500A model??

If it was a persuader/cruiser for $125 I'd buy in a flash since I'm very familiar with that model. But I've never even heard of 500A until he said he had a few of them.

"You have a pistol to defend your life and home. Now get a rifle to defend your country." - Caribou
Old 04-25-2008, 03:27 PM   #4
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 17964
Mossberg 500 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
this explains about all the different models and variations

it seems in the case of the 500a the "A" is just to designate its a 12 gauge

500A-12 guage
500B-16 gauge
500C-20 gauge
500- 410 bore
rogerxd45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 03:46 PM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Thanks for the info Roger!

Well I have a chance to look at the 500A model tonight. It will be interesting to see what it look likes. Does anyone know if Mossberg uses a dating system built in to the serial numbers, so I would have an easy reference as to when it was produced?

Old 04-25-2008, 08:00 PM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

So I went to look at the used mossbergs...

They are the 8 shot persuader models that were LEO trade ins. They are beat to sheet though. Not just a ding here or there, but scratches and dings all over the place.

He's asking $125 for the LEO trade ins. Is that really a good deal? I can't seem to get over how pretty I like my firearms to be, and for $200 I can get a Maverick 88 8 shot new...

Is is hard to "re-blue" the steel parts? Am I being foolish judging the looks of a HD shotgun? Please weigh in with your thoughts....

Thanks!!

Old 04-26-2008, 01:51 AM   #7
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 8785
Cosmetics and shotguns rarely go hand in hand. I'd buy any Mossberg at that price. If needed, parts are cheap at Brownells...

I was anti-Obama when Anti-Obama wasn't cool. Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.-- Glen Aldrich

The wealthiest nation in the world with the mightiest army man has ever assembled could not stop them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
PackerfanXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 02:10 AM   #8
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 24934
I took my mossberg 500a out today. All hardwood furniture, 5 shot mag (though I thought it was supposed to be 6??). This thing kicks like a damn mule. No more high-velocity big game loads for plinkin at the range for me!

$125 is a great deal. This one only cost a dollar though (seriously, all it needed was a new stock).
plastikxd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 08:13 AM   #9
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 3837
If the overall look of the gun is important to you then I would pass. You might wind up wanting to refinish it, and that'll cost at least another $125. At that point, you'll have a Mossberg that was abused and then refinished, when you could have had a new one for the same money. Look around, you should be able to find a NIB Moss 500 around $250, hell, even if it means checking for them at Wal-Mart. . I would gladly pay the $50 more for the Mossberg, b/c I like the dual action bars on the pump and I like the rear tang safety better. The Maverick has only one action bar, and has a cross bolt safety on the trigger guard.

On the other hand, if you won't mind the battle scars on the trade-in 500, I have to say a well used Mossberg is still worth $125.

boricua9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 08:16 AM   #10
XDTalk 100 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerfanXD View Post
Cosmetics and shotguns rarely go hand in hand. I'd buy any Mossberg at that price. If needed, parts are cheap at Brownells...
So true... It's the vain side of me that can't look past the terrible scratches.

The trick is I would assume that it got that beat up by being in the truck of a cruiser for a few years. So I would think the round count is moderately low. Or if my thinking flawed and it was a range/practice gun, and that's how it got all scratched up, it would have a very high round count.

Which leads me to my next question... for $125 should I care about range count on a beat up 20" 8-shot 12 gauge Mossberg 500? I know where Packerfan lies on the subject , anyone else want to weigh in?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » Non-XD Handguns

Search tags for this page
how old is my mossberg 500a
mossberg 500 serial number lookup
mossberg 500 serial numbers
mossberg 500 serial numbers lookup
mossberg 500 specs
mossberg 500a 12 gauge specs
mossberg 500a manual

mossberg 500a serial number

mossberg 500a serial numbers
mossberg 500a specifications

mossberg 500a specs

mossberg mod.500a/where is the serial no. located
mossberg model 500 serial numbers
mossberg serial number dating

mossberg serial number lookup

mossberg serial numbers
Click on a term to search for related topics.