• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Mossberg 500 "Tactical" Model# 50420

This is a discussion on Mossberg 500 "Tactical" Model# 50420 within the Non-XD Handguns forums, part of the Other Handgun Talk category; Anyone have experience shooting this specific model?? I've shot plenty of Mossberg's and the Rem 870, but I'm curious about this particular setup (or similiar ...

Old 04-15-2008, 09:55 PM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 1727
Mossberg 500 "Tactical" Model# 50420

Anyone have experience shooting this specific model?? I've shot plenty of Mossberg's and the Rem 870, but I'm curious about this particular setup (or similiar setup with adj. stock)

Things to consider:
1. I don't like that it is referred to as the Mossberg 500 Tactical, oh well
2. I understand this is a simple adjustable stock (not a Knoxx)
3. I already have a skeet/field shotty
4. LOP is my main concern
5. I'm set on a 12 Gauge
6. I'd only shoot this 4 times a year, or God forbid if there was a BG in my house

That being said, I need a HD shotgun that can offer a LOP of around 11 inches (for the wife), but still be able to fit me comfortably. I figure the adjustable stock is the best solution, but I don't want to fork out the money for the Knoxx if I'm only shooting it to maintain function/familiarity. The price point on this model is pretty good, and it really would not need any upgrades except shells before serving it's purpose.

I'm very interested in a range report of this exact model, as I'm curious how the adjustable stock handles the recoil of a 12 gauge. My wife has shot 12 gauge bird and buck from a 500 Persuader and (while she didn't love it) she put about 10 shells downrange no sweat.

Thanks in advance.

PS - I know a lot of people rave about the Knoxx Spec-Ops, and I'm sure it's fantastic, but I don't know if I can justify the extra $120 on a gun I hope I will never shoot.

"You have a pistol to defend your life and home. Now get a rifle to defend your country." - Caribou

Last edited by New2Arms; 04-16-2008 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Because even I don't like it's called "Tactical"
New2Arms is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-16-2008, 12:07 AM   #2
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 21362
you dont need reviews of a 500 with a "tactical stock"

just look for review's of a mossberg 500.

instead of getting a knoxx stock...get "redcuced recoil" ammo... alot easier on the shoulder.

i would imagine the tactical stock dosent do anything to help felt recoil.

you should be able to pickup a Mossberg 500 and a youth stock very cheaply.

or an 870 with a used stock.

both can be had with an 18.5" barrel, both are cheap to purchase, and both can be used for home defense.

Last edited by Grip; 04-16-2008 at 12:11 AM.
Grip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 12:11 AM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 13256
Get her a youth 20 gauge. Load it with low recoil buckshot. Great home defense gun for the whole family.
AZBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 01:41 AM   #4
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 11689
Love the Mossberg 500. Have one with an inexpensive 4 point adjustable stock on it, wife has shot it several times...not a fan but she'll use it if she has to. Hers has #8 bird (yes yes, I've heard the arguments that "Bird Shot is for Birds" but I challenge anyone to be shot with it at apartment range and not have to go to the hospital).

Love the Mossberg 500 so much I bought my 2nd one today. 8-shot 500 security (249 on sale at Big 5 Sporting Goods)

This one's mine, and it's loaded with 00 buck.

- Ryan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

All biology is chemistry, all chemistry is physics, all physics is math, all math is philosophy, and all philosophy is bull....
robinsre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:06 AM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 1727
I appreciate your thoughts and comments.

I'd like to stick with a 12 gauge, and a youth stock is 13" LOP. She tried a youth in 20 gauge and she still felt she needed to be closer to the weapon. She's small, 5'2 115lb, but she can handle the recoil.

"You have a pistol to defend your life and home. Now get a rifle to defend your country." - Caribou
New2Arms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:36 AM   #6
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 7310
Knoxx is awesome and worth the loot.
Pistol grips and Mossberg safety (tang) are challenging.
While I like my Mossberg better than my Rem 870 (not sure why, I just do), I have an 870 in 12GA with a Knoxx folder than my wife can shoot with one hand.
Plinkomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 09:39 AM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 13256
I have the "Tac" model pictured. Good gun for home defense. I like the Mossberg safety location, the strap on the foregrip for retention, adjustable stock is nothing special for me (I am 6'2'' so it's always at full length), comes with sidesaddle shell holder which is nice, screw in place for optics or rail attachment. I think I paid about $50 more than the basic Model 500. Only thing I would like to add is the Surefire foregrip with the built in light. If I could design the light it would have about 20 leds around a good laser in the center with an instant on button on the foregrip like the Surefire. Light em up, put the laser on target, with 00 buck in the chamber, end of story.

My wife and kid prefer to shoot the youth 20 gauge, fits both nice and kicks less.
AZBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 01:21 AM   #8
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 36423
I have that exact model (50420) and I like it a lot. I just went to the range today and shot about 50 rounds (10 buck, 5 slugs, the rest birdshot). I never felt pain at any point, and I thought the recoil was fine with the inexpensive ATI collapsible stock it comes with.

Note: I am quite tolerant to recoil in shotguns, so it may be just me, I have fired a bunch of different ones and never felt any pain or discomfort when firing from the shoulder with any of them.

I would agree that manipulating the safety with the pistol grip on the Mossberg is a little unwieldy, but I don't consider it that big of a deal; if I needed it for defensive purposes I would just turn the safety off as soon as I picked the gun up.
etaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 02:36 AM   #9
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 16410
Just don't disassemble the 500. I'm still trying to put mine back together.

What a PIA.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:50 AM   #10
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 16410
Ok, after about 3 hours total I got my 600 back together. The video I was watching showed the bolt forward when putting the trigger group back in. On this Mossberg the bolt had to be towards the rear of the receiver, towards the safety.

If you ever decide to strip down your Mossberg 500/600 keep this in mind.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » Non-XD Handguns

Search tags for this page
mossberg 500 persuader tactical review
mossberg 500 tactical
mossberg 500 tactical 50420
mossberg 500 tactical persuader review

mossberg 500 tactical review

mossberg 500 tactical reviews
mossberg 500 tactical stock review

mossberg 50420

mossberg 50420 review
mossberg 50420 reviews
mossberg 50420 vs 52440
mossberg 52440
mossberg 52440 review
mossberg 52440 vs 50420
review mossberg 500 tactical
review mossberg model 50421, 50420, and 52440
Click on a term to search for related topics.