• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Ruger 22/45 dry fire???

This is a discussion on Ruger 22/45 dry fire??? within the Non-XD Handguns forums, part of the Other Handgun Talk category; I have one on layaway. I traded a POS Taurus PT22 in on it. It's for my boys. Anyway, I read on Ruger's website that ...

Old 10-23-2007, 10:23 AM   #1
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 16039
Ruger 22/45 dry fire???

I have one on layaway. I traded a POS Taurus PT22 in on it. It's for my boys. Anyway, I read on Ruger's website that it's ok to dry fire their rimfire pistols!?!?!?! Is this true, or has Ruger made a mistake regarding their rimfire pistols? I always thought, and was told to NEVER dry fire a rimfire.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:29 AM   #2
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 15487
I's make a phone call or two to verify that info. I too have always heard to never dry fire rimfires due to breech face damage from the firing pin
Old 10-23-2007, 10:39 AM   #3
XDTalk 35K Member

Member #: 15886
My manual says the same thing. I have never noticed any damage, but have also never attempted several hundred dry-fire's. Throw a spent case in the chamber and have at it. This is much cheaper than a .22 snap-cap and does the same thing.
AZXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 02:27 PM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 15741
yeah the Rugers are fine to dry fire.. they have a firing pin block that only lets them travel so far... think of every last shot taken on a 10/22 rifle or .22 pistol. they have no bolt hold open so every last trigger squeeze is a dry fire.

contact Ruger and they will tell you the same.
How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?
HomerSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 03:35 PM   #5
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 11929
I always heard that it's bad to dry fire a rimfire. I'd rather err on the side of not damaging the gun.
FATSEXY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 03:38 PM   #6
Cat Herder

Member #: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by FATSEXY View Post
I always heard that it's bad to dry fire a rimfire. I'd rather err on the side of not damaging the gun.
That applies to the revolvers these days!

"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - John Quincy Adams

"The giving to others in need is my right and indeed, my privilage. It is NOT however, my obligation." - Frenchy~2011

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 03:45 PM   #7
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 11929
Oh man, don't tell me that Ruger's revolver QC has gone downhill? That's pretty depressing, if it's true.
FATSEXY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 03:50 PM   #8
XDTalk 5K Member

Well, I don't have a Ruger rimfire revolver, so I'm safe there. I can load my H&R with once fired 22's for practice if I want.

I'm just surprised that the semi-auto 22's can be dry fired. Like I said, I've always been told to never dry fire any rimfire. What exactly has Ruger done to make it ok? Is the firing pin block the same thing as what is in the centerfire revolvers to safely load all cylinders?
Old 10-23-2007, 04:14 PM   #9
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 15741
if you look at the parts book http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firear...oklets/C13.pdf

part 17 is the firing pin stop.. its a pin that goes through the firing pin and only allows it to travel a set distance to prevent any damage from dry firing.. (sorry for using the wrong wording with "block") they have the same thing on the 10/22s.. unsure about the revolvers..
How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?
HomerSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 04:30 PM   #10
XDTalk 5K Member

Got it. If I would have seen that without someone explaining it to me, it wouldn't have made sense. My smith-fu is weak, and I am trying to get ejumacated.

thanks.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » Non-XD Handguns

Search tags for this page
22/45 dry fire
can i dry fire my ruger 22/45
can you dry fire a ruger 22 45

can you dry fire a ruger 22/45

can you dry fire ruger 22 45
can you dry fire ruger 22/45

dry fire 22/45

dry fire ruger 22 45

dry fire ruger 22/45

dry firing a 22/45
dry firing a ruger 22 45
dry firing ruger 22 45

dry firing ruger 22/45

is it ok to dry fire a ruger 22 45

ruger 22 45 dry fire

ruger 22/45 dry fire

Click on a term to search for related topics.