• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Open carry in Tennessee....

This is a discussion on Open carry in Tennessee.... within the Non-XD Handguns forums, part of the Other Handgun Talk category; As I understand it, you can legally open carry in the state of TN. I have heard alot of negative responses to doing so. I ...

Old 08-17-2007, 09:29 AM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 11679
Open carry in Tennessee....

As I understand it, you can legally open carry in the state of TN. I have heard alot of negative responses to doing so. I guess I can see some people flipping out and calling the cops, which would cause unwanted attention. What are your opinions on open carry? Any Leos that could give me their experience on this matter? Thanks, Phoenixd45
Phoenixd45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-17-2007, 10:33 AM   #2
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 13267
TN issues a Handgun Carry Permit (HCP), which does not specify how you carry it. Thus you can carry open or concealed. Part of the reason behind it was to make sure a permit holder who accidently printed or exposed a firearm would not be in trouble for lack of concealment.

I seldom open carry just because there are so many that do not know the actual laws, including LEO, so the attention and number of people that freak out are not worth the trouble. I'd rather fly under the radar anyway. There are those in TN that feel more should open carry in an effort to educate the masses on our rights and the actual laws around HCP.
KarolinaKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 10:38 AM   #3
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 13107
www.opencarry.org

Should be all of the info you need......

I am all for open carry!
YOUR HONOR STUDENT IS MERELY A PAWN IN MY PIT BULL'S WORLD DOMINATION PLOT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
SpringfieldXD.40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 05:27 PM   #4
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 15115
I open carried while I was there during a family reunion (TX CHP holder) and had no problems or cops called on me.

USPSA-A59201
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 06:55 PM   #5
XDTalk Member

Member #: 19429
Indiana also issues a license to carry, not a concealed license and open carry is legal as long as you have a license. I open carry very rarely. Depends if i'm just going out to store real quick and dont feel like dressing around the gun. I'll just put it on my hip and go. No problems at all so far. In fact, most don't even notice. As long as you are legally allowed to carry, have at it a few times to see how it goes. If you're legal, you're legal.

"When they kick at your front door, how you gonna come / With your hands on your head, or on the trigger of your gun" The Clash©

USMC 94-98 Semper Fi

"Silence is golden but duct tape is silver"

XD.40® Service
Panther® AR-15
Bersa Lusber® .32
baerjn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 04:56 PM   #6
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 3251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixd45 View Post
As I understand it, you can legally open carry in the state of TN. I have heard alot of negative responses to doing so. I guess I can see some people flipping out and calling the cops, which would cause unwanted attention. What are your opinions on open carry? Any Leos that could give me their experience on this matter? Thanks, Phoenixd45

Yeah you have to have a permit to do so . I believe in open carry , but lots dont .I am a police officer myself and i will tell you this , most officers have no idea that you can open carry with a permit in Tn.. I have seen officers make lots of mistakes and such and not even understand that open carry by a PERMIT HOLDER is even allowed. I am a LEO but i still have a permit myself just in case i decide to quit Law enforcement. I encourage it , but only to those who are responsible. You have those few who go out looking for trouble , just to get to "draw" there weopon. They make the rest look bad , you know? I say its good to open carry but just be carefull for people may want to run up and steal your gun . Just rememeber that its exsposed and there . Also , for people like me on the job , i may get a call about " a man with a gun " . I May have to go up to you and verify that you have a permit . If i do or another good officer does , be patient and I/He will check you out and then let you go ASAP! But just remmeber , there are lots of policemen out there that are "uneducated" about this and i guess you have to be patient with them , but if all else fails and you get into a situation that you feel is unacceptable, ask for their Seagent or supervisor to come out .
Old 08-19-2007, 05:56 PM   #7
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 9183
Smile

I feel the less people see the better. When you really need your handgun thats when it's time to make it seen.
happygunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 08:35 PM   #8
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 18392
Quote:
Originally Posted by baerjn View Post
Indiana also issues a license to carry, not a concealed license and open carry is legal as long as you have a license. I open carry very rarely. Depends if i'm just going out to store real quick and dont feel like dressing around the gun. I'll just put it on my hip and go. No problems at all so far. In fact, most don't even notice. As long as you are legally allowed to carry, have at it a few times to see how it goes. If you're legal, you're legal.

I open carry when I'm at friend's houses or outside at one of my friend's apartment complexes.

Everywhere else I'll just stick the gun in the car's glove box if I don't feel like concealing that day. I wouldn't walk into a gas station open carrying though, it's a bit inconsiderate.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:37 PM   #9
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 15115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephis View Post
I wouldn't walk into a gas station open carrying though, it's a bit inconsiderate.

How so? I do it a bunch of times a week and no one could really care less.

USPSA-A59201
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 08:31 AM   #10
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 3261
Well .. I believe he means thats its inconsiderate ... by the number of gas stations that get robbed etc. or at least in my neck of the woods ..but that would depend on the area .... would not want a clerk freaking out and hitting the button. In Greenville we have had several gas stations robbed over the past few months so I imagine if I open carried the clerks might freak out(especially since the times I am out and about are during the times most of the robberies have occurred). Just recently (2 weeks ago)a store was robbed and the clerk was shot(he survived) then a few days later the store on the opposite corner was robbed.

Eventually Im gonna have to meet you jeep. I am typically in j-ville about once a month or once every 2 months. Typically when I do come down I don't leave without visiting the Mai Tai restuarant.

Last edited by beakersloco; 08-20-2007 at 08:38 AM.
beakersloco is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » Non-XD Handguns

Search tags for this page
can u open carry in tennessee

can you open carry in tennessee

can you open carry in tn

does tennessee have open carry
does tn have open carry

open carry in tennessee

open carry in tn

open carry tennessee

tenessee to do away with open carry law

tennessee open carry

tn open carry
what does the teennessee open carry hanggun legislation contain?
Click on a term to search for related topics.