• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Marlin camp 9 and XD 9mm mags

This is a discussion on Marlin camp 9 and XD 9mm mags within the Non-XD Handguns forums, part of the Other Handgun Talk category; I bought a used camp 9 off of Gunbroker, got it yesterday and shot it today. It came with 1 Marlin magazine and it can ...

Old 07-20-2007, 03:37 PM   #1
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 16410
Marlin camp 9 and XD 9mm mags

I bought a used camp 9 off of Gunbroker, got it yesterday and shot it today. It came with 1 Marlin magazine and it can use S&W model 59 and variant mags, 459, 659, 59 and such.

So last night I was looking at the mags and they looked a lot like the XD mags. I was able to put an XD mag into the mag-well of the Marlin and it fit.

The major difference is that the model 59 mags have a cutout on the front right side of the mag. The XD doesn't. The cutout is for the magazine catch inside the mag-well.

So today after shooting the Marlin with it's intended magazine I put a fully loaded XD mag into the Marlin and it will hand cycle the rounds. I then placed the mag base on the shooting bench and put a bit of downward pressure on it. The Marlin will feed, fire and cycle with the XD mags.

Now I'm going to contact a couple 3 gunsmiths and see if they can put a cutout on the side of the XD mag and then see if it will still feed, fire and cycle without being held against a bench. It'd be worth it to me to try this.

I would love to be able to use my slightly modified XD mags in this carbine. I can buy a bunch of XD mags from Pistol Gear and have them modified, shouldn't cost much to have that done.
Remove Ads
Old 07-20-2007, 10:25 PM   #2
Official Site Vendor

Member #: 1513
That will work, I know someone who has a keltec with xd mags. you can make the cut with a dremel tool and patience.
ajamesp51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 11:34 PM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 18181
i have heard of using modified beretta 92 mags and S&W 59 mags in the Xd so a gun using 59 mags may take an XD mag.
Old 07-21-2007, 03:04 AM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 11945
I wold only try it with one mag. Make sure it still functions like it used to in your XD also.
qrb912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 09:40 AM   #5
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 5489
Remeber that Berretta mags can work also, for the Marlin, Keltec and XD...haven't tried one in a S&W yet. When I got my XD there weren't any HI Caps..so I used Berretta mags....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
einheit 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 03:52 PM   #6
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 126
Back in the day, the only hi-caps that were available for our XDs were Beretta/Taurus 92 and S&W 59 series mags. One had to cut hole in the front of the mag to fit into the XD. Obviously those mags would also fit the Camp 9 and Kel-Tec carbines that took S&W/Beretta mags mags.
zipgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 06:32 PM   #7
XDTalk 1K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qrb912 View Post
I wold only try it with one mag. Make sure it still functions like it used to in your XD also.
Absolutely, that is my plan. Try one, if it will reliable function in both then I'll do a bunch of them.

I'm hoping to find someone that will do the work for me. I have no skill with measuring and cutting metal. I do OK with carpentry and electrical but I HATE plumbing and this is too close. Plus I just don't have the time.

Anyone here want to try this, are you skilled in metal work?

Here is a picture of a S&W 459 mag beside an XD full size 9mm mag, notice the cutout on the side of the S&W. This is what would be added (subtracted?) from the XD mag.

Old 07-23-2007, 10:44 PM   #8
XDTalk 1K Member

Eureka!

So I took my camp9 carbine and it's original mag down to a gunsmith tonight and had him mill the slot I needed in an XD 9mm mag. He charged me 5 bucks.

Nicely he lives the other side of my gun club so on the way home I stopped at the range and tried out the modified mag in the Marlin. It worked flawlessly.

So then I refilled it and tried it in the XD, it still worked flawlessly.

I currently have 6 mags but I just minutes ago ordered 5 more from Pistol Gear. I'll be taking the rest of them to the smith when I get the order.

11 mags of 16 rounds each for either my pistol or my carbine. Sweet!
Old 07-23-2007, 11:26 PM   #9
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 15115
Hmmm......How do you like that Camp 9? Looks like they would be a load of fun. I've got a Model 70 .22LR that I love.

USPSA-A59201
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 10:25 PM   #10
XDTalk 1K Member

I like the camp9 a lot, it is fun to shoot.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » Non-XD Handguns

Search tags for this page
camp 9 magazine
marlin camp 9 beretta

marlin camp 9 clips

marlin camp 9 clips for sale
marlin camp 9 glock magazine

marlin camp 9 magazine

marlin camp 9 magazine for sale

marlin camp 9 magazines

marlin model 9 9mm magazines
marlin model 9 accessories

marlin model 9 magazine

marlin model 9 magazine for sale

marlin model 9 magazines

what kind of magazine is used in the marlin camp 9
what mags fit a marlin camp 9
Click on a term to search for related topics.