• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Training your eyes to aiming with both eyes open

This is a discussion on Training your eyes to aiming with both eyes open within the Non-XD Handguns forums, part of the Other Handgun Talk category; I've been shooting with both eyes open for quite a while now and often see threads from one-eye shooters asking about how to learn to ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » Non-XD Handguns » Training your eyes to aiming with both eyes open

Old 06-19-2007, 08:27 PM   #1
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 10046
Training your eyes to aiming with both eyes open

I've been shooting with both eyes open for quite a while now and often see threads from one-eye shooters asking about how to learn to shoot with both eyes open. Well, this morning I stumbled upon a way to train your eyes.

1. Stand in a walk-in closet with the lights on in the closet. Leave the door open. Have the room dark. If you don't have a walk-in closet, improvise. Lighten up your room and make the hallway dark.

2. Hold the pistol with both hands like you normally grip the gun. Point it towards the floor. You should be able to look at the pistol with both eyes without any problems. Check your grip. Check your chambered round and firing pin indicators. They should indicate a safe pistol. No problems looking down at the pistol with both eyes, right?

3. Keep your eyes on the pistol and slowly raise it to your normal firing position. Your eyes are going to want to focus far as if you had a target in the distance. Don't! Stay focused on the pistol with both eyes. Having a dark background and light foreground should help. Keep looking at the pistol. Look at your grip. Move the gun around and follow the front sight. See how bright the dots are in the light? Hold it steady. Align the sights. Stare at them for 10-15 seconds.

4. Let your arms down and relax. Look around your closet and realize how you didn't line up your shoes properly. Shake your head. No one is looking. Go ahead.

5. Repeat #2 and #3 again. This time, try to be aware of the fuzzy picture behind your sights. Can you tell what it is without focusing on it? Keep your eyes focused on the sights. Turn your body sideways a few degrees. Can you tell what's behind your sights now? Remember, keep your focus on the sights. The background should be fuzzy.

Repeat and repeat again. After several of those, you should be able to do this in an evenly lit room. The trick is to look with both eyes open but only concentrate on the view from the dominant eye.

Try it.
propellerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-19-2007, 08:29 PM   #2
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 10046
The other method I used is to aim with one eye like normal. Then slowly open the second eye but concentrate on the sight picture you already have. A second image of your pistol will appear. Ignore it. Get your brain to focus on the image from your dominant eye. If you lose the image, close the weak eye and regain your sight picture. Start over. Eventually, you'll be able to get your sight picture with your weak eye squinting and not fully closed. Keep working on that and you'll be a two-eye shooter in no time.

Last edited by propellerhead; 06-19-2007 at 09:27 PM.
propellerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 09:04 PM   #3
AEC
XDTalk Member

Member #: 18509
great how do I fix my cross dominance problem? I look like a fool shooting right handed, right eye closed, gun leaning one way, head the other...
Old 06-19-2007, 09:20 PM   #4
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 17248
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
great how do I fix my cross dominance problem? I look like a fool shooting right handed, right eye closed, gun leaning one way, head the other...
Poke out your left eye . . .
The 2A wasn’t meant to allow public citizens to keep and bear arms. If it had there would have been wording such as 'The right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.' -Ken Konecki

Tally XD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 08:50 AM   #5
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 16039
I have always shot my handguns with both eyes open. It seemed natural to me. I'm not a great shot, but definitely good enough to take care of bidness.

It seems like most people have a cross dominant eye. I know I do. Right hand shot, wrong eye, uh, left eye dominant.
fritzmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 08:51 AM   #6
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 13816
Great post! I still shoot with both eyes open with pistols but not scoped rifles. I'm working on that more and more, but this would work just the same for a scoped rifle as the pistol I think.

On AR15's: Learn to use your Iron Sights before you go adding all that extra crap on your gun!

Badshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 11:28 PM   #7
AEC
XDTalk Member

Member #: 18509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
Poke out your left eye . . .
Thanks for the advice, however I was looking for something not quite so drastic/painful...
Old 06-21-2007, 06:13 AM   #8
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 14335
Practice dry-firing and shooting while wearing an eyepatch over your non-dominant eye, but keep that eye open. Take it off after a few mags and see how you do. Put the patch back on and repeat. Simple, and it works.
D_Fence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 07:45 AM   #9
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 5747
You mean that people actually close one eye .
roadhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 11:54 AM   #10
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 18392
As long as I stay focused on the target and not the sights, 2 eye shooting is very easy. But I find it more time consuming than 1 eye shooting, then again I probably need more practice.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » Non-XD Handguns

Search tags for this page
aim handgun with both eyes

aiming a pistol with both eyes open

aiming pistol both eyes open
aiming with both eyes

aiming with both eyes open

do you aim a pistol with both eyes open
how to aim a gun with both eyes open

how to aim a handgun with both eyes open

how to aim a pistol with both eyes open

how to aim pistol with both eyes open
how to aim with both eyes open
how to sight a pistol with both eyes open
one eye versus two eyes aiming pistol
pistol aim both eyes open
training to shoot with both eyes open
what should i see when aiming a shot gun
Click on a term to search for related topics.