Selecting a scope
My father-in-law just won a Ruger M77 Mark II Sporter (stainless with laminate stock) in .338 Win Mag. Yesterday he said he would eventually get a Leupold 3x9 in stainless for it. My wife, her mother and I decided we are going to buy him a scope to go with it for Father's Day. I took responsibility for picking the scope, but I have never purchased a rifle scope before, so I have a few questions. All help will be appreciated.
1. He said he wanted a 3x9 variable scope but did not specify 30mm, 40mm, etc. What are the advantages and disadvantages of a larger lens diameter?
2. He is an experienced, successful deer hunter. Deer is almost exclusively what the rifle will be used to take. How should this affect my choice? What features should I look for?
3. I don't see any stainless scopes on Leupold's site. Are they all made from aluminum?
4. He said he likes Leupold for their quality, guarantee, and that they're American made. Any other brands I should consider?
5. Anything else I should consider?
Thanks again for the help.