• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

30/40 Craig

This is a discussion on 30/40 Craig within the Non-XD Handguns forums, part of the Other Handgun Talk category; I met my dad at the shooting range this morning and he brought 2 riffles. An SKS and a 30/40 craig. I love both guns, ...

Old 03-10-2007, 07:57 PM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 16119
30/40 Craig

I met my dad at the shooting range this morning and he brought 2 riffles. An SKS and a 30/40 craig. I love both guns, but want to talk about the 30/40. Springfield Armory knew what they were doind, thats for sure. Solid metal! It felt so solid in my hands. This was my firt time shooting the 30/40 and I LOVE that gun. After all these years, still dead accurate. Does anyone know how that gun came about? Was is the main riffle issued in WWI? Was it strickly sniper? Can you find them for sale today? Anyone have a 30/40 craig story? Just intrested to learn and hear more about the gun.

XD-45 ACP
S&W 40VE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
Ronald Reagan
rockrock004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-10-2007, 08:41 PM   #2
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 5489
It replaced the 45-70 single shot rifles. Good round for hunting, but was a black powder left over converted to smokeless. Designed in Norway, adopted by the US in 1892, served for 11 years faithfully, served in the Spanish/American war, Phillipene Insurection, Batlle of Samoa, and in the Boxer Rebellion. Was out classed both in ballistics and rate of fire by many other rifles-notibly the 7x57mm Mauser and 6.5x55mm Krags in Norway. The 45-70 was a better round than the .30 Army (30/40 Krag). The Krag was supposed to offer a slightly higher rate of fire than the rolling block Remingtons, but tests concluded that the Krag could get off 43 aimed rounds in 2minutes and the single shot rolling blocks could get off 42! The Mauser action with its internal mag, locking system and ease of reloading brought the krag to its knees. It saw limited use in WW1 and WW2 as a 'guard duty' rifle. The P14 Eddystone replaced it and then the 1903 replaced that but its .30-'03 ammo sucked and the 1903a1 was chambered in .30-'06......The first American Mauser

Your gun should successfully take down targets to 400 yards.....
There are 2 models the Krag Cavalry rifle has a slightly shorter barrel and short fore grip. Krag rifles also have the distiction of being the very first American military issue weapon with a full length style upper hand guard!

Unique rifle, so-so round, shoot and enjoy! show some pics too...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

Last edited by einheit 13; 03-10-2007 at 10:31 PM.
einheit 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:46 PM   #3
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 16119
I just wanted to share something with ya'll.... I talk with some family today about how the 30-40 landed in my dads hands. I found that my Pop had an Uncle that fought in the Spanish American war. He may have been part of the 1st US Volunteer Cavalry... called Theodore Roosevelts "Rough Riders" or something like that. This gun has been in my family and passed down through the years. It's an honor to have shot a gun that has so much history! I will post pics as soon as I can. Thanks for reading!!

XD-45 ACP
S&W 40VE

Ronald Reagan
rockrock004 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » Non-XD Handguns

Search tags for this page
30 30 craig

30 40 craig

30 40 craig for sale

30 40 craig rifle

30-40 craig

30-40 craig rifle
30-40 craig ww1 rifle
30/40 craig rifles for sale
3040 craig
3040 craig for sale
3040 craige
craig 30 40

craig 30-40 rifle

craig 3040 rifle
craig rifles for sale
Click on a term to search for related topics.