• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Help: New M&P 9 Spitting brass in face?

This is a discussion on Help: New M&P 9 Spitting brass in face? within the Non-XD Handguns forums, part of the Other Handgun Talk category; My wife just picked up her first pistol: a Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm full size. She has been very excited to shoot it. She ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » Non-XD Handguns » Help: New M&P 9 Spitting brass in face?

Old 10-13-2012, 01:47 PM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 71652
Question Help: New M&P 9 Spitting brass in face?

My wife just picked up her first pistol: a Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm full size. She has been very excited to shoot it. She loves shooting my XD-40, but prefers the grip on the M&P and wanted a slightly smaller caliber.

Yesterday was our first trip to the range. Her first round spit the casing right into her glasses! Kind of a shock, but the third round went down her shirt and actually gave her a slight burn. She had several hit her, including a second down her shirt. I put a mag through it and had several hit my hat and even LEFT shoulder!

The local Firearms trainer happened to be at the range and I asked him. He suggested she work on a firmer grip and put at least 500 rds through to break it in.

Is this normal for a new M&P? Is there a break-in? Will it mellow out and spit brass to the right? Does her grip affect ejection that much? (if so, maybe I need to work on mine!)

She was really looking forward to hitting the range with her own firearm, but after her first trip, she's very disappointed and actually worried about hot brass hitting her every time she shoots.

Any help from M&P users would be very helpful.
Buckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-13-2012, 01:57 PM   #2
AKC
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 41665
So the casings are ejecting straight back instead of to the side?

Often times at the range its usually just the case bouncing of the side wall.

The ejector may need tuning?

When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty.

-Benjamin Franklin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
AKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:49 PM   #3
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 22661
it it were a glock i would say throw it in the nearest pond and buy another brand gun until glock gets their crap fixed with the ejection issues......

but since its an MP, my guess is her grip........yes, a less than solid grip can cause some reliability issues including fail to feed and erratic ejection...

oh, wait, i just saw where YOU shot it and was ejecting erraticly...

as long as your grip was firm that should not be happening unless something is wrong with the extractor/ejector.........

MP's dont need "break in" periods......i would give it one more range trip and a box of 50.......if it still does it with you shooting it???

time to call smith and wesson
bruce21b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:11 PM   #4
AKC
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 41665
Maybe have her practice dry fire with some snap caps. Thumbs forward grip. Research the grip.

Lots and lots of dry fire practice.

Then go back to the range and randomly load snap caps in the mag and see what happens.

And when she shoots. She should have a good slightly crotched athletic stance. Knees slightly bent, leaning forward a little. Good firm grip and trigger control.

I see a lot of new shooters leaning back with a poor grip and it can induce problems.

When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty.

-Benjamin Franklin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
AKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:54 PM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 49793
My XD9 used to bounce brass of the top of my head and forehead. It stopped after a little while though. I'd say just break it in, or maybe Apex has an ejector? With that, don't say "it's sad I need to buy after market stuff to make it run" because from what I hear, the more Apex into your M&P (or any pistol) the better. I;m having an Apex trigger kit put in mine.

My PF9 would throw a casing 20ft front right, then over and behind you 2ft, then 5ft right, then 3ft left, then 30ft right, then at your feet, etc. Would need a 40x40 tarp to make brass pickup easy.
CavScout88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:53 PM   #6
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 71939
Glocktalk.com can help you with your G19

M&P Shield 9mm , Truglo TFO Night Sights , Apex Hard Sear , Safety Delete , First GK Nano Series Black Chrome Slide Finish in the World.

Latest Build : PSA M4 16" CMV CL 1/7 Upper , Spikes ST-15 Spider Lower ) , PSA LPK , Daniel Defense BCG , Spikes CH.
Minkman555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:05 PM   #7
XDTalk 25K Member

Member #: 4785
I have never heard of an M&P doing that.

I have a 3rd gen G19 that does it 2-4 times per mag. Currently trying to fix it and nope...the much vaunted Apex extractor did NOT fix my problems. BEYOND annoying.

-brickboy240

Es mejor morir a pie que vivir arrodillad
Brickboy240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:14 PM   #8
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 74142
glockglockglockglockglockglockglock, not really helping the OP. I'd call S&W and have them check it on their dime.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:52 PM   #9
XDTalk 25K Member

Member #: 4785
Well...HELLO...shouldn't that be obvious?

Especially since S&W is known for great customer service and a lifetime warranty on their goods.

-brickboy240

Es mejor morir a pie que vivir arrodillad
Brickboy240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:15 PM   #10
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 78082
I would say it needs to go to S&W. The only thing that needed break in was the trigger on my mp40.

NRA member.
Poneill.45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » Non-XD Handguns

m&p, m&p 9, m&p9

Search tags for this page
m&p 40 pro ejecting straight back

m&p 9

m&p 9 brass face

m&p 9 ejector

m&p 9c break in

m&p 9mm brass to face

m&p 9mm ejection problems

m&p brass in face

m&p brass throw
m&p ejector tuning
m&p9 brass ejection back

m&p9 throws brass in face

m&p9c ejection problems

s&w mp 9 ejecting problems

smith wesson m&p ejecting in face
Click on a term to search for related topics.