• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

New M&P 9, not all good to report...

This is a discussion on New M&P 9, not all good to report... within the Non-XD Handguns forums, part of the Other Handgun Talk category; I bought a new M&P 9, full sized, no mag or manual safety, came with three 17rd mags, cost $350. Overall I like the gun ...

Old 09-28-2012, 12:12 PM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 49793
New M&P 9, not all good to report...

I bought a new M&P 9, full sized, no mag or manual safety, came with three 17rd mags, cost $350.

Overall I like the gun a lot, but I've been XD/XDm for a long time. The thing I'm not used to is having to break in the slide stop and starting with a creaky trigger. Also, loading a mag causing the slide to fall automatically.

My cousin and I both bought one, and neither of us could release the slide with the stop. It wouldn't budge, even trying from both sides at once, on either pistol. I had to work mine, letting some pressure off the slide to use the stop, many times. I can at least use that now, but it's still difficult.

Second issue, the slide falls when I slap a mag in? That just seems like a BAD thing. There's no consistency. I never really know when it will close the slide itself, or not. And I guess if you slam a mag in, it might not pic up a round. Great... now I always have to brass check it...

I still love the gun, it shot well. I can even break in the slide stop. But that issue with the slide releasing itself is rather hard to forgive. Maybe even more than a magazine safety (disconnect).
CavScout88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-28-2012, 12:17 PM   #2
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 43432
hmmmm....interesting feedback... thanks for the info!
Old 09-28-2012, 12:35 PM   #3
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 74079
I know alot of people like the slide going forward when they slam a mag in it. Some say the gun was designed to do that but idk.
inanebignate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:01 PM   #4
XDTalk 25K Member

Member #: 4785
The M&P45 I borrowed did not do the slide forward thing. I did borrow an HK USP that did that and yeah...I found that jarring.

The M&P trigger is terrible and the re-set is almost non-existent.

If S&W fixed a few things...that pistol would be great but I don't see giving up my Glocks for one any time soon.

-brickboy240

Es mejor morir a pie que vivir arrodillad
Brickboy240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:11 PM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 78082
According to a recent phone call to S&W, the slide is "supposed" to close when you slam in a new mag. They say the gun is designed for combat use, and that is one of the features, and if you insert the mag gently it won't drop the slide. I can see benefits to it, shaving off a second or so if you have to do a mag change, but, it can be dangerous too, if you're just at the range. It doesn't bother me much though, and I've never had it fail to pick up a new round when it does automatically close. I wouldn't stress it, and just take time to get used to it with that particular gun.

For the gritty trigger, this simple polishing works really well, I did it, and it's nice now, and I can feel the reset.

NRA member.
Poneill.45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:14 PM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

I'm opting for a $65 trigger job. It makes the reset nearly nothing. From handling a gun with it, I can say I loved it.

The M&P definitely does it (slide falls from slamming a mag). That was one of the first things I was told and it's proving to be true. He also mentioned Glocks are known for it, and there was... I'm thinking a Sig? on the range during a match that was doing it too.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:23 PM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poneill.45 View Post
According to a recent phone call to S&W, the slide is "supposed" to close when you slam in a new mag. They say the gun is designed for combat use, and that is one of the features, and if you insert the mag gently it won't drop the slide.
As a trooper with some time down range, I think that's a horrible idea. It sounds more like a IDPA or w/e thing...

But thanks for that info! Now I know this isn't just hersey that will probably get contested by every M&P fan. Now it just comes down to how much the user likes that type of feature. It's odd that inserting a mag with (my) medium force, or any level, doesn't seem to reliably cause the slide to unlock.

Love the DIY vids, and I will watch it just to become more familiar with the the gun. But unless it's an AK, I won't touch the trigger.

Is there anything that can be done to stop this?

EDIT: XDm reset is actually pretty good. I've never had an issue where it didn't go bang and I had to think "Better start working on making sure I let it reset." But I haven't had that issue with the M&P either, but it only has a couple hundred rds through it now.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:28 PM   #8
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 79873
Hmmmmm, that would take some getting use to
HardBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:53 PM   #9
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 54620
1st off you paid $350 for a $500+ gun. 2nd All my pistols will chamber around if you slap in a fresh mag. 3rd most guns have stiff controls as they are new, they get easier the more you use em. And the trigger, there are many freebie mods to do to the trigger to make the it better( youtube is your friend). If you still dont like it, send it to me and I will :"deal" with your " bad" gun free of charge.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

Soil that is dirty grows the countless things. A river that is too pure contains no fish. Thus as a mature person you properly include and retain a measure of grime.

Last edited by YoopermikeXDM; 09-30-2012 at 10:22 AM.
YoopermikeXDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:02 PM   #10
Old Timer

Member #: 65055
I have none of the problems you described with my M&P9c. Does not slam the slide home when a mag is slapped in with force. The slide stop is manipulative by thumb pressure. Sounds odd.

~King Of Battle~
U.S. Army - 2007-2010
O.I.F. - 2008-2009
13-B Cannon Crewmember
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beretta M9
G17 Gen4 OD
HK 45C
Mosin Nagant 91/30, 1931 Hex
Remington 870 Tactical
SA XDS 4.0 9mm
Sig M11-A1-Desert
S&W 15 X-ray (5.56 milspec)

All sold in a tragic houseboat fire that sank.
SonOfOdin is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » Non-XD Handguns

issues, m&p, pistol, review, slide

Search tags for this page
buy m&p 9 houston
how does the m&p9 fety worksa
how many magazines does a m&p come with
how many magazines does m&p9 come with
m & p forum
m&p 9 auto forward
m&p auto feed forward

m&p forum

m&p forum gallery

m&p forums

m&p polish
m&p9 california loaded chamber indicator
m&p9 close slide maga insert
polishing an m&p9
slide for m&p 9c
slide mods m&p9
Click on a term to search for related topics.