• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

New M&P 9, not all good to report...

This is a discussion on New M&P 9, not all good to report... within the Non-XD Handguns forums, part of the Other Handgun Talk category; I could see firearms going that direction, with [tactical] auto slide release on the new mag. I'm just not there yet. Plus it doesn't do ...

Old 09-30-2012, 11:47 AM   #21
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 49793
I could see firearms going that direction, with [tactical] auto slide release on the new mag. I'm just not there yet. Plus it doesn't do it reliably, so it doesn't eliminate anything. I still need to think I need to go through all the motions, even if I might not have to.

Personally I find, even with very experienced shooters, if a gun does something inconsistent, it will cause them to pause, and then unpause onto a new string of actions. So it's not skipping a step, it's erasing everything and quickly replotting your actions and continuing on.

I really don't slam mags, but I do insert them with purpose. It seems people that like that feature do, and they will tell you they "slam" it to try to get the slide to release.
CavScout88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-30-2012, 04:09 PM   #22
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 32005
I just picked up a M&P 9c with three mags and night sights for 375, can't wait to try it out. A buddy just got the same gun and bought an APEX kit and I'm going to help him install it. Should make a big difference in the trigger action, or so I'm told we will see. Trigger defiantly not as good as my XDm's but then they cost alot more.
XD-S .45
Springfield 1911 .45 Gone but not Forgotten
Springfield EMP .40
mustang0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:12 PM   #23
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 77836
I was discussing a M&P Pro with a LGS clerk and he said the series was designed and found to have this "auto slide release" issue... they basically said "screw it" and left it as is. Personally I like it, I have never found it to misfeed a round or anything (2 range sessions, 350 rounds or so through it)

I also like the trigger on the M&P series, will be picking up a Shield soon. I will likely do some polishing on it as well (trigger, barrel, etc) just to make sure it's not gritty or anything.
taylorjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:25 PM   #24
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 73210
My slide does the auto forward with a new mag every time on my M&P .40. I think it's a nice feature. And the trigger does get better with use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M&P .40
Remington 597 .22 w/3-9x24 scope
wyodeseertrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:01 PM   #25
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 69307
1000+ rounds on my M&P.40c
No auto forward here.

Quote:
As for being OT...thread drift is the rule around here. Embrace it.

Quote:
I was anti-glock for a long time. I have always been a contrarian and just didn't want to be one of THEM.
3shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:03 AM   #26
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 13881
Quote:
Originally Posted by CavScout88 View Post
I bought a new M&P 9, full sized, no mag or manual safety, came with three 17rd mags, cost $350.
For that price, I wouldn't be complaining at all, frankly. I can't get one for under $450 in my neck of the woods.

Quote:
Overall I like the gun a lot, but I've been XD/XDm for a long time. The thing I'm not used to is having to break in the slide stop and starting with a creaky trigger. Also, loading a mag causing the slide to fall automatically.
First of all, the M&P is not an XDm, and an XDm is not a Glock. They each have their own characteristics, so don't expect them to be clones of one another in how they work and feel.

The gun is brand new. parts need to break in. I've found the slide stop to be the one that needs the most time to do so other than the trigger. When I had a XD-45, pulling back the slide was a pure son of a bee-*** when it was new. It should wear-in over time.

The trigger is gritty on M&P's. I really don't care. Again, new gun. Over time, this too will smooth out. M&P stated during the release of their new SHIELD that all the M&P's will get the improved trigger found on the SHIELD model over time. When, exactly, I don't know. I'm hoping sometime early next year.

The auto-forward slide feature is just that, a feature. You're going to rack it anyway, so there's no big deal here. If you don't want it to do this, then just shut the slide, load a fresh mag, and then manually rack.

I always verify when I load a new mag in regardless.

You may want to look at a Ruger SR9. That gun won't slide shut on you and that giant loaded chamber indicator fin will definitely tell you if there is a round in the chamber. The SR's slide stop is not meant to function as a slide release, though. But it's definitely doable. I do think the M&P is a better made gun, though the SR9/40 isn't bad either. Of course, the XDm's are great as well. My only gripe with them are their grip design which can wear out my hands sooner than I'd like, their teeny tiny dots on the sights, and they seem to weigh more than other poly guns I've used/owned. All minor issues.

"The gun control mentality is ruthlessly absurd."
-Alan Keyes
Captain Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:44 AM   #27
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 73007

My slide release on my .40c is also a bear! Maybe I didn't slam my mag inbut it didn't close the slide automatically.

Berreta U22 Neos
S&W M&P-15 (SOLD)
Ruger 10-22 Target
JimmyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:04 PM   #28
XDTalk 100 Member

I paid heavily to get that gun for $350. Ironic.

The trigger isn't a big issue. I know that breaks in, but before that even happens I'm getting a trigger job done. Smooth and almost no travel for reset.

A few tips I got for breaking it in was; 1) Leave the slide locked back for a week or so to "relax" the spring. 2) Load all the mags full and do the same, same reason. 3) Constantly work the slide release during commercials to break that in. 4) Dry fire snap caps or [clean] fired brass to break the trigger in for about 1000rds.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:14 PM   #29
XDTalk 100 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jack View Post
The auto-forward slide feature is just that, a feature. You're going to rack it anyway, so there's no big deal here. If you don't want it to do this, then just shut the slide, load a fresh mag, and then manually rack.

I always verify when I load a new mag in regardless.
It's a flaw IMO, since it doesn't do it reliably. I wouldn't mind it if it was consistent. And if it really can fail to pick up the round, that's even worse. I don't brass check during action pistol matches, so why would I under real pressure?

From what I'm hearing here, most full sized do it, most compact models don't, and the shields don't. Not much of a feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jack View Post
You may want to look at a Ruger SR9. That gun won't slide shut on you and that giant loaded chamber indicator fin will definitely tell you if there is a round in the chamber.
Just not a Ruger handgun fan. Since the issue is on reloads, I won't have time to check the indicators, no matter how big and goofy they are.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:40 PM   #30
XDTalk 100 Member

Got a trigger job with APEX parts, $65. It's smooth and crisp release. Almost 1mm for reset! Amazing.

I wonder if this changed the magazine-insert slide auto release thing. Probably not, bet smooth up the slide release.

Forgot about the mag 'feature' and will have to check for it on my Shield now. Haven't had it happen yet.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » Non-XD Handguns

issues, m&p, pistol, review, slide

Search tags for this page
buy m&p 9 houston
how does the m&p9 fety worksa
how many magazines does a m&p come with
how many magazines does m&p9 come with
m & p forum
m&p 9 auto forward
m&p auto feed forward

m&p forum

m&p forum gallery

m&p forums

m&p polish
m&p9 close slide maga insert
polishing an m&p9
slide for m&p 9c
slide mods m&p9
Click on a term to search for related topics.